Yamaha strainer extension

Reaction score
I'm searching for a snare strainer extension (see attached pic) for my 80s Yamaha Recording Custom, Serial # SD 970 RA. It has one on each side, each identical (except that the one on the throw-off side's broken). I had found an image of the exploded diagram from an old parts catalog, online, and noticed that, while the look, size and shape are the same. mine are hard plastic, while the ones in the diagram were metal. Pretty sure either will work. I would even consider paying someone to fabricate one for me (3D printer, maybe?), but it would have to match the shape of my current one, exactly. Any help, thoughts and/or advice? TIA.

Attachments

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
My Yamaha 9000 has the black plastic gates you're referring to .

I wondering whether a first generation Pearl Free Floater gate would work in case you can't find the original ?

It's a pretty straight forward piece, the positioning above the edge would be the most critical aspect . I can send you that info with measurements from mine .

Installing this will give your drum a significantly greater sensitivity and response .

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wunnerful wunnerful , a happy ending ... Pearl free floater wire sets work fine on mine .

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice. I ran into a stash of NOS ones on Ebay over a year ago. Bought a pair of them just to have at $25 each. Sold them for same to people needing them for RC snare drums just like you. They made these from around 1981-1985. Before and after that they used metal guides with metal rollers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The metal ones would certainly be preferable, but at this price, I can buy a spare plastic one, in case it happens again.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I bought one of these drums a couple months ago. Mine is intact. Are they prone to breaking and are the metal parts exchangeable for the plastic?

egw

Reaction score
I've got sort of the opposite problem. I've got a Yamaha SD416 that has the potential to be a killer snare, but has these dumbass extended gut snares on it. I'd love to retrofit a normal strainer, butt, and wires on it using the original holes, but the 4-hole strainer I'm after is long out of production, and almost never comes up on the used market, even here in Japan.

Reaction score
I bought one of these drums a couple months ago. Mine is intact. Are they prone to breaking and are the metal parts exchangeable for the plastic?
I used mine, regularly, for about 25 years, much of that on the road, and never had a problem with the part (I think the issue had more to do with the decline of my Anvil brand fiber case, also ancient). As to exchange, the exploded diagram I found online showed what appeared to be an identical extension, in metal, on the same model snare, but I'm not gonna swear by it. A little difference in depth could make a big difference. Good luck finding a metal one, though.

Last edited:

Tufty

Reaction score
Just found this thread. Drumstash looks like a great resource. I too need a snare extension for a 1980s RC. Broke when the snare stand toppled over with the drum on it.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha used the metal guides from around 1977-1981....and then iirc come back later on. The plastic ones seem to show up from around 1981-1985. They have the same mounting based on my measurements (1-1/16" oc screw holes, 2" wide roller, 1-1/2" arm drop). I have one of each style - metal on a 1978 Yamaha SD755D and plastic on a 1982 SD765MA. These 700 series drums aren't that common so even finding a basket case for $50 to part out is a tough task. Both types of mounts show up from time to time (used or NOS) but they don't last long.

Last edited:

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks, Benny, but while Googling, "vintage Yamaha parts catalogs", I stumbled upon this: http://drumstash.com/product/snare-bridge/ These guys make unfindable parts, with a 3D printer! And check the price! My search is over! Thanks, for the quick reply.
Just FYI there's a FB group called The Yamaha Drum Closet and one of these guys is a member there as well. You'll be able to search a very informative thread there about these very parts. Plus see the comments from guys that have used them.

Reaction score
Just found this thread. Drumstash looks like a great resource. I too need a snare extension for a 1980s RC. Broke when the snare stand toppled over with the drum on it.
I received my snare bridge from Walter, at Drumstash, and my Yamaha is singing like Pavarotti, again! The company is honest, efficient and adds a personal touch. Part matches exactly. I highly recommend them. use the link I attached to this thread. Good luck!

Latest posts