Yamaha Tour Custom vs Stage Custom Birch

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My roommate has a 2019 SC and for the $ it's an amazing value, it's a sturdy backline at any gig.

I think the price of re skinning your SC is a big factor, I really am not a fan of the Remo UT skins, they really held the SCs that I have played back in tuning range.

What I notice the most between the SC and the TC is the snare. The SC has different lugs, it doesnt have the absolute lugs on the snare. I also noticed that the throw off on the TC is made of much nicer material. The TC also comes in a 6.5!

All in all I think they are both nice kits and I have never had a problem playing my roommates SC at a practice or a gig when I've had too, but springing for the TC is well worth it
New heads on a 5 piece kit is less than $120 if you go with Evans, and that's without finding some sort of discount code. That will get you 10/12/16 batter and reso heads (EC2 over G1) 22" bass drum batter (EQ4) and 14" snare batter (dealer's choice). Snare and bass resos can stay stock and still sound good. As for the snare issues on the SC, at least it comes with a snare. The Tours are just toms and bass. If you bought the SC, add in the $300 Tour snare and add all new heads, you are still under the price of just the Tour toms and bass alone. That's why I think the SC is a great deal in Yamaha's stable and why I think the Tours are overpriced for what you get.

felis

Reaction score
There's heads, but don't forget about the 2.3 inverse dyna hoops too.
Maybe not everyone would want them, and some might even prefer 1.5 flanged,
but still it's a cost to consider, among others.

One thing there's no way around is that you can't turn birch into maple,
and some people have a preference. That preference can go either way,
so if you lean towards birch, you're all set.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
The shallower depths of the 10 12 16 have my interest in the Tours .

Heyleuck

Reaction score
New heads on a 5 piece kit is less than $120 if you go with Evans, and that's without finding some sort of discount code. That will get you 10/12/16 batter and reso heads (EC2 over G1) 22" bass drum batter (EQ4) and 14" snare batter (dealer's choice). Snare and bass resos can stay stock and still sound good. As for the snare issues on the SC, at least it comes with a snare. The Tours are just toms and bass. If you bought the SC, add in the $300 Tour snare and add all new heads, you are still under the price of just the Tour toms and bass alone. That's why I think the SC is a great deal in Yamaha's stable and why I think the Tours are overpriced for what you get.
I dont know where I could find 10 skins for 120 but I'll take your word for it. No shop in Canada has anything close to that good of a deal. The TC comes with Remo to be fair

I mean buy and play whatever kit you want, get a damn Rydeen if you think it's better. Yamaha isn't charging more for the TC for nothing, better materials.

Last edited:

Drumprof

Reaction score
That's why I think the SC is a great deal in Yamaha's stable and why I think the Tours are overpriced for what you get.
Stage Customs are a great deal, no one is denying that. We all agree on that, absolutely and we have two kits here at school with flawless shells and edges.
I also tend to hear (or read) consistently that every Yamaha line that isn't a SC is overpriced.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I dont know where I could find 10 skins for 120 but I'll take your word for it. No shop in Canada has anything close to that good of a deal. The TC comes with Remo to be fair

I mean buy and play whatever kit you want, get a damn Rydeen if you think it's better. Yamaha isn't charging more for the TC for nothing, better materials.
Amazon! And it's only 8 heads.

No need to replace the bass reso, and the snare reso is fine to start with. It will last a good year or so if you aren't a hooligan and crank the sucker to the moon.

Edit: You may have to adjust the head sizes on some of those links. I'm doing this from my phone so it may not all come through as I set it up.

Heyleuck

Reaction score
Personally I think buying a brand new kit and replacing 5×2=10 skins off Amazon sounds like a drag. Id just buy the better kit with nicer skins, which is the point I keep making.

I'm not saying the SC isn't nice, I'm saying there is a reason the TC is coming at a higher price. If both kits were available to you, I dont see why you would choose the SC unless it's because of value. When the 2 kits are pitted in a 1v1 face off, the SC has value, that's the whole idea behind the thing. The TC on the other hand are higher quality, especially the snare.

I went and looked at a TC the same year as my roommates and there does seem to be other hardware differences, some of the yess mount parts on the TC seem a bit more nicely made.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Personally I think buying a brand new kit and replacing 5×2=10 skins off Amazon sounds like a drag. Id just buy the better kit with nicer skins, which is the point I keep making.

I'm not saying the SC isn't nice, I'm saying there is a reason the TC is coming at a higher price. If both kits were available to you, I dont see why you would choose the SC unless it's because of value. When the 2 kits are pitted in a 1v1 face off, the SC has value, that's the whole idea behind the thing. The TC on the other hand are higher quality, especially the snare.

I went and looked at a TC the same year as my roommates and there does seem to be other hardware differences, some of the yess mount parts on the TC seem a bit more nicely made.
Most of the kits on the market either come with UT heads or USA Remos. They are also almost always clear heads. Many people like coated heads so the factory heads don't work for them. As for me, I'm an Evans player so I always re-head my kits. I would rather not pay for expensive heads I'm never going to use. I actually wish that manufacturers would offer you a choice of heads, or perhaps all kits should come with cheap heads and a coupon, or something that, that the purchaser can use towards heads of their choice. Instead you pay more money for heads that you never use.

Ptrick

Reaction score

I have re-headed every kit I’ve bought immediately to my preference regardless of the price of the kit.