Yamaha Ultralight Crosstown

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Years ago I cut my lead guitar player's cord neatly in two by bashing a thin Zildjian crash supported by a swivo-era Rogers swan leg stand - at that time, one of the lightest (and skimpiest!) stands available. A badly executed uppercut ..... probably a late hit ..... lifted the whole kit & kaboodle into the air to my right.
Dude you make me second think about ordering a new Dyno-matic hi-hat stand. :shaking:

kickassdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How would the cymbal stand hold up using a 24” ride or a heavy ride?
In my opinion, just fine. I'm running a 22" Modern Essentials on it which certainly has some weight to it. I just opened the tripod wider to get it nicely under the cymbal diameter.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Happy to snap a few pics for you if that's helpful.

Edit: right Tama Classic, left Yamaha Crosstown. Yamaha has a bit more girth but roughly the same length and it weighs less.

View attachment 424365
Definitely takes up much more space than the Tama Ludwig 1400 clones. However, it's great that we finally have a lot of choices when it comes to lightweight hardware.

drumnhands

Reaction score
I won't use them outside. They're so light that a slight breeze will topple them. You can do a regular lightweight stand for that. But everything else..

I can see if someone goes to the Tama's for the vintage look. I get that.
They work fine outside. You csn expand the legs out nearly flat and they have a huge footprint that keeps them stable even in a breeze.

J

jaymandude

They work fine outside. You csn expand the legs out nearly flat and they have a huge footprint that keeps them stable even in a breeze.
Ok. In the interest of clarifying everything I say about these. Because .....

I was in a situation where I was unable to open them up to a full footprint. So under those circumstances yes, they “should “ work. But on my outdoor gigs this past summer, i didn’t have room for that.

I hope this helps clarify my stance. I still will use heavier cymbal stands when necessary. That’s how I feel

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My observation as well. Actually had to catch a couple of cymbals as they were tipping over with the Tama stands at a windy gig... no such issues with the Crosstown.

JimmyFenno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
At 61 I find that it's not the size and weight of the hardware. It's the number of trips in and out from the stage. I must say though that drum co.'s are sensitive to both the bad backs of the young and the old. Funny I was leaving day 4 of NAMM and "caught" a couple of Ludwig "endorsers" tearing down, casing, packing and loading out a truck full of gear and stage set up. It was quite a pleasure walking right past them and waving bye-bye as they continued to live the life of an "endorser". Read that contract carefully. Most times that "wholesale plus 8%" includes a bit more work than you expected.

tripp2k

Reaction score
You mean it gets lighter than DW 5000/9000 series? TAKE MY MONEY!

J

jaymandude

I was looking for them yesterday. WTF how could they not have booms?
1) the ultralight DW and the Tama's don't either

2) you're supposed to be able to use the Yamaha upper sections on the Ultralight base to make your own.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I ordered a set this week and it should be here Tuesday. These comments are increasing my confidence in my decision. I love the quality of my Yamaha 700 series stands, so they really got my attention with the idea of an super-light, mostly aluminum, tripod base stand. I've also been using DW UL's for gigs when I'm trying to go extra light, and I've been pleased with them overall - but I've always been more of a tripod base stand man. I'm looking forward to taking the new Crosstowns out to a few gigs and see how they do.

kickassdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I ordered a set this week and it should be here Tuesday. These comments are increasing my confidence in my decision. I love the quality of my Yamaha 700 series stands, so they really got my attention with the idea of an super-light, mostly aluminum, tripod base stand. I've also been using DW UL's for gigs when I'm trying to go extra light, and I've been pleased with them overall - but I've always been more of a tripod base stand man. I'm looking forward to taking the new Crosstowns out to a few gigs and see how they do.
You'll be very happy!