Yamaha using grosgrain ribbon on their lower line snares

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I picked up a couple Yamaha snares today at my LDS. A 6.5x 14 Recording Custom aluminum (ordered) and a cool little Stage Custom 5.5x14 steel snare. $139 for that one. The thing really sings and it’s headed to my studio. The thing that really got me was I just noticed they’re using grosgrain ribbon instead of the usual plastic strips for lower end drums. Kind of surprised me.

584927BE-3E4B-4DA9-A571-6E8DF473BB75.jpeg
2117C028-6C33-468A-8623-67B82E58DA5A.jpeg
03510268-F62E-4890-BC67-260DA8C66571.jpeg

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
The old Bob Gatzen trick. He showed me that back in the “olden” days of the 1980s. The stuff works great.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Hmmm! Very interesting. It seems to me that, unless you are able to install your snare wires perfectly straight with plastic or cord, the flexibility of cloth ribbon would serve to correct the slight imperfections in the tension of the snare wires across the bottom head as a result of not being perfectly straight.

PS: Which raises the question, why would Yamaha use it only in its lower cost drums?

Last edited:

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Hmmm! Very interesting. It seems to me that, unless you are able to install your snare wires perfectly straight with plastic or cord, the flexibility of cloth ribbon would serve to correct the slight imperfections in the tension of the snare wires across the bottom head as a result of not being perfectly straight.

PS: Which raises the question, why would Yamaha use it only in its lower cost drums?
Maybe its a transition and the ribbon is slowly making its way into all the drums. This just happened to be the first one off the line with it. :dontknow:

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score

Do we know that they only use it on their lower end drums?

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They use cord/string on their regular snare drums. Personally, I prefer plastic straps.

dana bag of donuts

Reaction score
maybe they bought an enormous amount of ribbon for cheap,because...it is really cheap.
maybe they had a stock pile of the straps that they finally used up and then switched to the ribbon..
I bought 20ft of the stuff a while back for a couple bucks
I'll likely never have to buy again

drumjinxjr

Reaction score
Obviously plastic strips are cheaper, but grosgrain, especially in bulk, is not expensive. I can't see any reason cut out a few cents on something like this.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought 20 meter rolls of grosgrain ribbon for $1.50 per roll in a convenient store in Spain. All kinds of different colours. I’m set for a few lifetimes.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
BTW, the snare sounds not like a $139 snare! It's a keeper.

Latest posts