Yamaha YD 9000D real wood kit - set up for play

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been researching and tracking 8000/9000 kits the past year....especially from 1977-1981. One of them popped up last summer and for some reason the seller disappeared. But, another one appeared last week and I was lucky to be the first to contact the seller. Picked it up Thursday....finished cleaning the drums last night. Now waiting on new heads for the snare drum as both had punctures. Too bad since the reso head was an original Yamaha inked head. The 12 and 16 toms also had original Remo white coated ambassador batter heads on them.

Standard sized YD 9000D plus 14x5.5 "dark" real wood SD755D snare with original snare wires and tension tape. The Kit came with some original 9000 Yamaha gear: single post - strap drive - kick pedal, one straight cymbal stand (extends up to nearly 6 ft), snare stand, and hi hat stand. Other hardware was Pacific.

Quirk #1`is the hi hat stand is labeled Premier...and Yamaha didn't own them until 1987-1992 or so....hence not original to the kit. But it's a Yamaha 9000 style stand in all respects except for the Premier foot pedal and the Premier decal. I suspect it's a late 1980's stand but still a 9000 with the notched adjusting tension wheel. To fill in the cymbal stand gaps, I already found a pair of gold label 9000 "mushroom foot" stands to fill out the kit.

Quirk #2 is the May 1981 SD 755D snare going with a 9000 kit that was made around January 1980....all other drums date to within a month of that. Did this kit sit in a music store for a year before it was purchased, and then a 1981 SD755 was added to it upon sale? Even Yamaha's own catalog had a 700 series snare married to a 9000 kit in one of their suggested popular lineups. If you didn't want the bulkier super sensitive snare drum...you got the 700 series...which was identical except for the SS mechanisms. We'll never know.

Quirk #3 is that the 12" tom is badged as a TT-912DA...not D like the 13,16,22. Very odd as the DA badge signifies a mixed birch/camelia shell...basically a 7000 shell of that era. It's birth date was only one month earlier than the other drums which fits. It was probably stamped wrong as the bearing edges look identical to the other toms. All the edges are very clean and smooth.

First photo was taken after I cleaned and stacked them. The second photo was the seller's. 2003 (early style) Zildjian ZBT's were the cymbal pack for the kit. The kit was purchased by the owner for his son's band. They mostly stayed at home but occasionally went to another band mate's house. The son played guitar. So nice of the dad to supply these drums for the group.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for those nice replies. I'm very curious how these shells will compare to my 1984 cherry wine Tama Superstars. I'm hoping there will be at least some observable tone differential.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think these are my favorite lugs too. Simple and classic looking lines on these drums. Now looking for a nice short cymbal arm for that center hole in the rack tom mount....with the Yamaha black and gold decal.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After 2 months I finally got this Yamaha kit set up to play. The walnut colored SD-755 wood snare is currently on another Tama kit. So I thought I'd give my Yamaha 14x6.5 SD-065 super sensitive snare a run with this kit. It's actually much closer dated to the other 4 drums than the wood snare. And it has a nice strong crack to it. Went with 1950's Zildjian pies.

After 90 minutes of playing I was impressed with these drums in every way. Even though they are all birch from the same era as my Tama Superstars, they have a different voice. That was one of my concerns going in that they would sound nearly identical. Good that they aren't identical. Both kits are set up with Remo coated ambs top and bottom. I'd say the 9000 D's have a touch more vintage. early rock, and jazz vibe than the Superstars. The Tama's have 45 deg bearing edges, painted interiors, and a fairly thick lacquer/urethane exterior. The 9000 D's are a natural finish with a lighter(?) coat of lacquer both inside and out. The 9000 D's might have rounder bearing edges similar to the early recording customs. Both sets are 6 ply birch with similar hoops and lugs.

So overall quite pleased. The Yamaha's were everything I'd hoped they'd be. I was thinking maybe I should have gone with the 9000 DA and/or Tour Series 8000 shells in mixed birch/mahogany plies as they have a lower fundamental tone and more projection. But these 9000 D's performed in every respect.

Best 2.jpg

Last edited: