Yamaha Yess Mount What is that

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the deal is with Yamaha yess mounts? Are these good bad .

i obviously know nothing about Yamahas

R

RickP

I really like the first version Yamaha YESS mounts. I have them on my Black Swirl Club Custom kit.
I like the fact that unlike RIMS , they don't bounce too much and you can get your toms closer together and it isn't a pain in the butt changing batter heads.the YESS also leaves a lot of the finish exposed. I have heard people saying the YESS mount inhibits resonance, and I have not found this to be the case.

The new YESS mounts are a three point affair now with a large steel plate connecting the three bolts. The shell is hidden behind this large plate.

Attachments

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is a Version II of the YESS mounts, as RickP says, maybe about four years old, about which I know nothing.

The original YESS mount is just a regular Yamaha tom bracket attached, with spacers, by only the top two bolt holes.

Supposedly they are attached at the Nodal Point of the shell [like the nodal point of a xylophone bar, which allows the string to pass through without influencing the sound of the bar.]

In my experience, the YESS is an improvement over the pre-YESS system. It has less resonance-dampening than the pre-YESS version, is less bouncy than RIMS suspension mounts, and the brackets and ball socket/hex rods work great. Many have expressed concern about the two-point mounting, thinking this was a week spot, but I've used it for years on thin Keller shells with absolutely no problems.

But, they are not perfect. If you have two toms, or other stuff clamped on, you may experience dampened or dead sounding toms, depending on your particular arrangement.

If you're just using one mounted tom, I think they're VERY good. If you're using multiple toms and accessories, they may be less than ideal, but still a good system.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
YESS mounts put a lot of strain on the drum shell because they're bolted to the shell with two screws. No one has ever improved on the original RIMS concept, IMO.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
rondrums51 said:
YESS mounts put a lot of strain on the drum shell because they're bolted to the shell with two screws. No one has ever improved on the original RIMS concept, IMO.
I've used four rack toms on YESS mounts, five and six ply Keller shells, for about 18 years with absolutely NO problems whatsoever.

I do agree that RIMS is the best system, but maintain the YESS is a good compromise for those wanting less weight and bulk.

S

skinsman

The original tom mount on Yamaha shells worked fine and anybody that knows those shells will attest that any type of rims or other type of mount made no sonic difference whatsoever. In the studio it is widely regarded as the era Yamaha made the best RC shells. These were a 4 point mount directly onto the shell.
When they went to the Yess system, in order for the mount on 2 nodal points to keep from tearing out, they had to make the shell thicker and it was too much and didn't really solve the problem. In addition the shells are not the same sound wise and you can tell. Black and white.
Yess 2 comes along and offers a 3 point system....no shell change, just affirming that 2 didn't get the job done.

For my money if it's RC's I want first generation shells and mounts.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've attached 2 pictures of my customized Pearl EXR kit. It was originally wrapped in Gun Metal Sparkle. The wrap was removed and a custom paint job applied. I was never crazy about the Pearl tom mounts, so I installed a YESS system. Not only does it sound great, but it looks good, too! I just don't care for a rims-style mount, but that's just me!

Mark

Attachments

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
skinsman said:
The original tom mount on Yamaha shells worked fine and anybody that knows those shells will attest that any type of rims or other type of mount made no sonic difference whatsoever. In the studio it is widely regarded as the era Yamaha made the best RC shells. These were a 4 point mount directly onto the shell.
When they went to the Yess system, in order for the mount on 2 nodal points to keep from tearing out, they had to make the shell thicker and it was too much and didn't really solve the problem. In addition the shells are not the same sound wise and you can tell. Black and white.
Yess 2 comes along and offers a 3 point system....no shell change, just affirming that 2 didn't get the job done.

I've gotta agree. There was no choking with the pre-YESS mounts. Same with the old Swivo stuff from Rogers. I've only ever had choking with an L-arm type mount.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
shilohjim said:

I've gotta agree. There was no choking with the pre-YESS mounts. Same with the old Swivo stuff from Rogers. I've only ever had choking with an L-arm type mount.
I owned three RC rack toms with the pre-YESS mounts, and have gigged many many backline kits with them too.

They absolutely DID choke the toms for me. It's true that if you have the drum all the way out on the hex rod, the choking goes away, but FOR ME, when positioned where I wanted them, they were DEFINITELY CHOKED, or suffered from LOSS OF RESONANCE.

Thats why the YESS is better for me, though still not perfect.

As for problems with the YESS mounts pulling out, I'll state for the THIRD time, I've seen absolutely NO EVIDENCE of any problems whatsoever, over at least 18 years, on shells much thinner than Yamaha's, as well as many Yamaha backlne kits i've played.

S

skinsman

Yamaha made different versions of the tom mount with different lengths of hex rods. The shorter ones were the best.
But I stand by my statement IMO after playing RC's since 1984 the first generation shells and mounts were the best. Those shells are the most recorded in history for a reason and it aint because they choked.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I doubt that Yess and "pre-Yess" are that much different in sound. Yamaha has been doing Yess on the top lines for a long time now. I have several kits with Yess (including the RC) and they are fine.

Latest posts