Yamaha's New Portable Drum Kit: Stage Custom Hip

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I do wish they had also introduced a 16" kick. However, I think it's pretty near perfect as-is. I owned a Tama Club-JAM kit, which is quite similar to this in terms of sizes and overall vibe. It was great and sounded terrific for its size and price point. But the SCB drums are just at a completely different level.

Here's what I like:

• (1) None of the sizes are a regular part of the SC line. A person who owns ANY existing SC kit will not be getting duplicate drums if he adds one of these.
  • (2) Two snares: Well, us fogeys won't go for it, but MAN do a lot of younger drummers use two (or more) snare drums on the kit. You're going to see that floor tom with an Evans hydraulic on it being played by the younger, hipper Yamaha drummers.
  • (3) The 8x20 will be a huge saver of stage space. Even the Club-JAM 12x18 felt so nice and compact. It's a perfect size and it'll work for more gigs.
  • (4) Both the snare and floor tom could be pulled from the kit and used as snare drums in other contexts.
  • (5) I'm hoping Yamaha will introduce cases, but if they don't the Tama Club-JAM case set would accommodate this kit.
  • (6) My experience with the Club-JAM tells me you really don't lose much tone with a shorter floor tom if you tune it right and add those Pearl feet.
  • (7) The price point is pretty smart-- it positions it against the Tama Superstars and the Sonor Jungle-type kits but has definite advantages over both of those. Tama's Neo Mod is $699 without the snare drum.

Anyway, I wish it was cheaper but I think I'll be getting one in Natural. I will definitely mix and match these drums with my other Stage Customs and AHMs, for that matter. Here's a sincere hope that Yamaha adds 16" bass drums across the product line, but this is pretty great.

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I dont like the Natural hoops on the other two colours (Black, Surf Green), they already make matching 20" BD hoops for the regular SCs (Well the Black anyway)

Other portable option they could have gone for was is a nesting kit using current sizes
10x7, 14x13 (split) FT, 18x15 (split) BD

Mick

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I dont like the Natural hoops on the other two colours (Black, Surf Green), they already make matching 20" BD hoops for the regular SCs (Well the Black anyway)

Other portable option they could have gone for was is a nesting kit using current sizes
10x7, 14x13 (split) FT, 18x15 (split) BD

Mick
The RC's don't have matching hoops on the surf black neither. My bet is that they wanted to build on that success.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did they say the kit was going to retail at $1160? I sure hope they meant "list at $1160."

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think this is a neat little kit. The option ofhaving a second snare instead of the FT is kinda cool, although nothing I would need.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Did they say the kit was going to retail at $1160? I sure hope they meant "list at $1160."
Yeah for an SC in tiny sizes that seems like a lot. Especially with the prices on other "bop" or "hip" kits being 600-1000.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With the exception of the non-matching hoops, this looks like a winner! I doubt it will sound better than the original hip-gig though. I regret selling that kit....

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was assuming that was list price. If not, that's a huge problem. But if it's in the Stage Custom line, I'd think that HAS to be list, no?
The 5-piece Manu Katche Junior kit, which was comprised of Stage Custom shells, had a street price around $1000. I think they priced it too high, which may account for it no longer being available.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks like they’re somewhat copying the Tama Superstar Cassic Neo Mod (I tired here). I like the 20” bass drum as opposed to some of the much smaller sizes we see in mini kits. ThebNeo Mod kit has 20X10 and I like the sound of it. Not sure how much cutting another 2 inches off the depth would affect it.

Attachments

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 5-piece Manu Katche Junior kit, which was comprised of Stage Custom shells, had a street price around $1000. I think they priced it too high, which may account for it no longer being available.
I could be wrong, but wasn’t that only sold in Canada (in North America, anyway)? In which case, wouldn’t the $1000 retail price be roughly $750 USD?

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but wasn’t that only sold in Canada (in North America, anyway)? In which case, wouldn’t the $1000 retail price be roughly $750 USD?
Initially, it was only available in Canada but eventually became available in the U.S., if only for a short time. It was available with or without the hardware pack so the price varied. I was considering getting this at one time and I think the lowest price I found on a shell pack was around $850. With the hardware pack it was around $1100.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is this a shell pack only? It interstes me as someone who has to play a V kit regularly. The V Kit (A Yamaha DTX) fits the space in the church were we practice. I need a small footprint acoustic kit like that.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I have a very slight blue-yellow deficiency which I didn't realize until I was in my 40's but ... that "Surf Green" sure looks blue to me. Not green at all. Not even blue green. It's robin's egg blue.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It’s not just you. I don’t know if this is what’s going on here, but Japan actually has a somewhat complicated relationship with blue/green:

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Initially, it was only available in Canada but eventually became available in the U.S., if only for a short time. It was available with or without the hardware pack so the price varied. I was considering getting this at one time and I think the lowest price I found on a shell pack was around $850. With the hardware pack it was around $1100.
The Manu Katche hipgig sold in worldwide and in two different generations. The first one being released in the early 00's and the second was released in 2016:

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Dang. I must be Japanese. I have a faded "Sherwood Green" guitar body that I have always considered "steel blue-gray" that my wife insists on calling "the green guitar". I don't consider it green at all. Under the pickguard it has a barely discernable greenish tint.