Yamaha's New Portable Drum Kit: Stage Custom Hip

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure how functional the dual snare (floor tom) would be for me. Still, Yamaha makes great drums, right down to the SC.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Manu Katche hipgig sold in worldwide and in two different generations. The first one being released in the early 00's and the second was released in 2016.
Right, but the one that was being discussed was the second-gen 5-piece version, which initially was not sold in the U.S. The earlier iteration that was widely available here only came in a 4-piece configuration and had Philippine mahogany shells (as opposed to the all-birch construction of the later ones).

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So for 162 more, you have a newer, more portable kit with probably a bigger sound than the bop and getting an extra snare for that too.

Not bad for something that was just released and probably will lower in price later on.

ludwigfire

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since I got my Premier Heritage Club setup 20 years ago, I'm surprised how long It took for everyone else to issue a kit based around a shallow 20" kick(besides Pearl)

Dan
And remember Ludwig's Gig Lite set from the '90s, almost the same exact sizes as the Yamaha with birch shells, too!

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And remember Ludwig's Gig Lite set from the '90s, almost the same exact sizes as the Yamaha with birch shells, too!
Yes! I'm still baffled by some of the rack toms on these kits. Many are undersized, depth-wise and a few I've heard sound boxy. Open letter: the rack toms are not the issue. I never understood why a simple 8x12 wasn't included; it's not like you're saving ANY stage space, unlike the kick or floor.

Dan

Last edited:

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, I was going to mention that this is reminisent of the Gig Lite kit. I really dig my Gig Lite kit, it sounds great and sets up in tiny places when space is limited.

Gig Lite.jpg

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dan,
I love my Premier heritage kit too. Not many around it seems
No, because everybody is hanging onto them, I think. That 8x20 kick sounds immense. I've even recorded with it. I remember looking at the Pearl Rhythm Traveler and it just wasn't what I was after, but I bought the Premier nearly on sight. I get nothing but compliments on the sound.

Dan

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does Yamaha have a special case or fitted bags for all these drums? Or do you just stuff them all in snare bags (except for BD)? Maybe the three drums can all fit stacked up in one standard floor tom bag? Hmmm...

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Does Yamaha have a special case or fitted bags for all these drums? Or do you just stuff them all in snare bags (except for BD)? Maybe the three drums can all fit stacked up in one standard floor tom bag? Hmmm...
The guy who is carrying the drums in the video says Yamaha is working with Protection Racket to get a case set brought to market. I hope they do. In the meantime, you can apparently get one custom made by Beato or, barring that, use the 3 piece kit that Tama makes for the Club-JAM.

Last edited: