Yamaha's New Portable Drum Kit: Stage Custom Hip

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would just want the bass drum to use with a 12 and 14.
I really wish they'd just make the 20" drum and a 16" bass available in the Stage Custom line. I'd buy both and pretty happily use my standard sized toms.

I really don't get Yamaha's resistance to proper 16" bass drums-- I think they'd sell a pile of them in all their product lines.

J

jaymandude

I really wish they'd just make the 20" drum and a 16" bass available in the Stage Custom line. I'd buy both and pretty happily use my standard sized toms.

I really don't get Yamaha's resistance to proper 16" bass drums-- I think they'd sell a pile of them in all their product lines.
Right, you can't buy the blue toms for the bd, you gotta use a gd 10"? Ugggggh. I mean, it's just so shortsighted. It can't be that difficult right ? They don't even make this line and it must cost them about $16.50 or less to make each drum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Right, you can't buy the blue toms for the bd, you gotta use a gd 10"? Ugggggh. I mean, it's just so shortsighted. It can't be that difficult right ? They don't even make this line and it must cost them about $16.50 or less to make each drum.
Yeah. I already have a "shell bank" Stage Customs in Natural, so I welcome this kit-- it's a pretty cheap way to add one really useful drum (the BD) and a couple other drums that I'll use sometimes. But I have a feeling that despite my best intentions I'll almost always gig them as a 12/14/20 kit and I'll repurpose those 13" drums as specialty snares and the 10" as, well, something. Maybe I'll put a jingle head on it or something.

I mean, how cool and smart would it be to create an a la carte menu of all sorts of add-ons in, say, 3-4 finishes? They're fantastic gig pig drums at a great price.

J

jaymandude

That's way too easy and makes way too much sense.
It was the same when I was shopping for a Hybrid Maple kit. The only thing they had in my sizes in the US was black. No green sparkle or white. I mean... WTF, are you kidding ? You only make freaking 6 colors. How hard is it ? ( rhetorical I know )

Living Dead Drummer

Reaction score
I checked these out over the weekend. I dig'em, and see where they would really come in handy. I think the part I liked best is that the Floor Tom is also a 2nd snare. Not sure where I would get much use out of that, having to sacrifice having that extra tom for a song, or at least parts of a song, but having the option is cool.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a similar kit for some years but recently sold it. It was the Taye Go-Kit 5 piece as seen below minus the 8" tom. Everyone who played with me remarked on how "big" these sounded and as they all fitted into two bags it was a very convenient, portable and space saving kit. Only drawback on mine was the shallow 13" snare which I never used and never liked. .....so I used other snares.
13645142_10207034545130069_7094079664379324713_n.jpeg

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If someone has the surf green model shipped to my place (Sweetwater is already offering a bit of a discount + free shipping, I’m sure), I will gladly send you my 10-12-14-16-20 Purecussion Headset kit (with cymbal stands) to you in return. Just need shipping covered for the Purecussion kit.

ettenor01

Reaction score
If someone has the surf green model shipped to my place (Sweetwater is already offering a bit of a discount + free shipping, I’m sure), I will gladly send you my 10-12-14-16-20 Purecussion Headset kit (with cymbal stands) to you in return. Just need shipping covered for the Purecussion kit.
Have you found a way to replace the heads on those old things? I've got a 10-12-14-20, but they're just about dead.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Have you found a way to replace the heads on those old things? I've got a 10-12-14-20, but they're just about dead.
Mine are the last-gen tunable drums. I’ve not changed heads as the heads were new when I got them.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really think that if they offered these kits with a super cool, 1 piece, nice carrying case, they could sell twice as many at double the price.
It's still 4 drum bags. The point could be taken more seriously if they just showed you why it's easier to have smaller drums.
I don't think they accomplish what they're going for. I would rather just take full size drums.
... Now if I could buy a set that came with a nice 1 piece case for all the drums that came on wheels, that even included a spot for hardware?
I'd be into it.
It's actually easier.
It's not the size of the drums, it's the number of trips back to the car.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really think that if they offered these kits with a super cool, 1 piece, nice carrying case, they could sell twice as many at double the price.
It's still 4 drum bags. The point could be taken more seriously if they just showed you why it's easier to have smaller drums.
I don't think they accomplish what they're going for. I would rather just take full size drums.
... Now if I could buy a set that came with a nice 1 piece case for all the drums that came on wheels, that even included a spot for hardware?
I'd be into it.
It's actually easier.
It's not the size of the drums, it's the number of trips back to the car.
Sounds like you need a Rock N Roller! :D

Latest posts