Yammie SC's

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So....
I picked up my first Yamaha kit today, new to me CL purchase.
Seller gave a link in the ad to a new SC bop size kit, ad says "Bop Kit".
I get to his house, he brings them out to his front porch for my approval, I see a 22 BD.
He asks, everything ok? I reply I thought these were Bop Sizes? But yeah, every thing is good, these will work.
I just read the "what heads for SC's" thread and went out to the garage to double check the sizes of the new Yammies.
Damn, the BD is a 24x16, so I have a 24x16, 8x12, 16x16, 6x14' in butt ugly gold.
That's for real, Yamaha made a 24x16?
The kit is a couple of years old, not been touched in the last 1.5 years or so. Near new condition, I'll give a quick detail, sell the cymbals, replace the heads and it replaces the e-kit in rehearsal space #2.
What's the difference between 1st gen SC's and current SC's?
I know nothing about Yamaha, I don't think I've ever played a Yamaha kit.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
There've been several versions of Stage Customs thru the years. Post a badge photo.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
couldn't find the Polaroid, crappy cell phone pic will have to do.
I'm home today, Isaias is kicking our butt here. Good day to clean up a set of tubs & hardware. :icon_e_biggrin:
I have that version in honey amber. Good drums but not sure of the age

Last edited:

lemonslush

Reaction score
its not the current model i can tell by the badge. the current model should have shallower toms most likely as well. I just picked up a basically new SC in white for $435 from GC. With shipping and tax it was 500 to my door. Also came with all new remo heads that I was gonna grab anyways. They sound great, astonishing how good it is for a kit that costs less than one pair of my hi-hats.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stage (5000) series began in 1981/82 in wrapped shells and a mahogany ply mix. Sometime in the 1990's the Stage Customs appeared with lacquered shells and mixed birch plies. When they went to all birch shells, that removed some of the bottom end tone for more focus.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So...
I'm out in the garage cleaning these up.
Just a guess, they don't have more than 2 hours play time on them. Some smudge on the lower parts of the hardware and dust.
FYI, these work GREAT on hardware, follow with a micro fiber towel for a little buff, and like new :thumbright: .

Attachments

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The stage (5000) series began in 1981/82 in wrapped shells and a mahogany ply mix. Sometime in the 1990's the Stage Customs appeared with lacquered shells and mixed birch plies. When they went to all birch shells, that removed some of the bottom end tone for more focus.
Yes, I had a wrapped Stage kit from the mid-1980s; the kick drum was fantastic for recording purposes — I used to use a Stage kick with the Maple Custom toms in the studio. The revised lacquered SC series appeared around 1997, I had one in Marina Green that I bought new upon its release.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is the SC catalog of June 2008.
Yeah, but it didn't appear in stores here in the U.S. for about another year or so...? I remember when buying my SC Birch 1st generation, I had to wait a couple months for them to arrive at my local GC, and this was mid-2010.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Regarding the question of the badge changeover, anyone know of a reliable badge timeline?

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They sound great, astonishing how good it is for a kit that costs less than one pair of my hi-hats.
Right?!? I wasn’t looking to buy a set of these. Someone gave me a 5-piece shell pack in cranberry red as payment for some recording I did for him. I have a maple Pearl kit as my main rig, and it’s nice to have some birch to choose from as well. These are great drums.