Yammie SC's

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Regarding the question of the badge changeover, anyone know of a reliable badge timeline?
well, there's this, but no images:

Yamaha Stage Custom timeline

Stage Custom (6000-series)

-1995-2001
-Badge: glued, square, golden bkground, black center, text “Stage Custom”
-First made in Japan then moved to Indonesia
-Tom mounts: non-YESS
-Lugs: High Tension
-Wood: Outer ply birch, 6-plies of Philippine mahogany in the middle, inner ply falkata

Stage Custom Standard (5000-series), Stage Custom Advantage (6000-series)
-2001-2004
-Standard=matte finish, Advantage=gloss finish
-Badge: 4 screws, narrow at the bottom, widens going upwards, golden bkground, black center, text “Stage Custom Standard” or “Stage Custom Advantage”
-Made in Indonesia
-Tom mounts: YESS (YESS floor tom brackets only on Advantage model)
-Lugs: Standard: split, Advantage: both high tension and split lug versions exist
-Wood Standard: outer ply birch, inner plies Philippine mahogany
-Wood Advantage: outer ply birch, middle plies Philippine mahogany, inner ply falkata

Stage Custom Advantage Nouveau (6000-series)
-2004-2008
-Badge: 4 screws, square, silver bkground, horizontal blue stripe in the middle, text “Stage Custom Advantage Nouveau”
-Made in Indonesia
-Tom mounts: YESS (all floor tom brackets are YESS)
-Lugs: Nouveau (composite/plastic)
-Wood outer ply: birch (gloss finishes), oak (matte finishes)
-Wood: 6-plies of Philippine mahogany in the middle, inner ply falkata

Stage Custom Birch mark I (6000-series)
-2008-2014
-Badge: 4 screws, vertically wide at the center, narrows to the sides, silver bkground, grey center, text “Stage Custom All Birch Shell”
-Made in China
-Lugs: split (metal)
-Wood: 7-ply (7mm) birch bass drums, 6-ply (6mm) birch toms and snare

Stage Custom Birch mark II (no series number)
-2014 →
-Badge: 2 screws, vertically wide at the center, narrows to the sides, silver sides, golden center, text “Stage Custom All Birch Shell” and “Handcrafted since 1967”
-Made in China
-Tom mounts: YESS (floor tom brackets are non-YESS)
-Lugs: Absolute (metal)
-Wood: birch, 7-ply (7.7mm) bass drums, 6-ply (6.6mm) toms and snare
-Rounded bearing edges
-Die cast bass drum claws
-10 lugs on snare
-Bass drum hoops laquered only on the outside

Mine are Birch Mark II
Yamahas 004.jpg
Yamahas above.jpg

Last edited:

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but it didn't appear in stores here in the U.S. for about another year or so...? I remember when buying my SC Birch 1st generation, I had to wait a couple months for them to arrive at my local GC, and this was mid-2010.
This was the global western catalog so it was out basically that year or max the year after depending if it was released on the Messe or at Namm.

Curious why it took your store so long to order it.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
-1995-2001
-Wood: Outer ply birch, 6-plies of Philippine mahogany in the middle, inner ply falkata
I had no idea there was ever a Made in Japan version of the original SC. Has anyone ever seen a MIJ SC before? Or did those never make it to the US?

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This was the global western catalog so it was out basically that year or max the year after depending if it was released on the Messe or at Namm.

Curious why it took your store so long to order it.
Yeah! GC didn't have any of the SCBs in stock, just the previous generations. I never had the chance to play one, so I bought it based only on the photo in the catalog!

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As far as I know they were always made in Indonesia, then Taiwan and now China. The first stage series was made too in taiwan (back then part of the great republic of china).

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
well, there's this, but no images:

Yamaha Stage Custom timeline

-1995-2001

Stage Custom Standard (5000-series), Stage Custom Advantage (6000-series)
-2001-2004
-Standard=matte finish, Advantage=gloss finish
-Badge: 4 screws, narrow at the bottom, widens going upwards, golden bkground, black center, text “Stage Custom Standard” or “Stage Custom Advantage”
-Made in Indonesia
-Tom mounts: YESS (YESS floor tom brackets only on Advantage model)
-Lugs: Standard: split, Advantage: both high tension and split lug versions exist
-Wood Standard: outer ply birch, inner plies Philippine mahogany
-Wood Advantage: outer ply birch, middle plies Philippine mahogany, inner ply falkata

Stage Custom Advantage Nouveau (6000-series)
-2004-2008
-Badge: 4 screws, square, silver bkground, horizontal blue stripe in the middle, text “Stage Custom Advantage Nouveau”
-Made in Indonesia
-Lugs: Nouveau (composite/plastic)
-Wood outer ply: birch (gloss finishes), oak (matte finishes)
-Wood: 6-plies of Philippine mahogany in the middle, inner ply falkata

Stage Custom Birch mark I (6000-series)
-2008-2014
-Badge: 4 screws, vertically wide at the center, narrows to the sides, silver bkground, grey center, text “Stage Custom All Birch Shell”
-Made in China
-Lugs: split (metal)
-Wood: 7-ply (7mm) birch bass drums, 6-ply (6mm) birch toms and snare

Stage Custom Birch mark II (no series number)
-2014 →
-Badge: 2 screws, vertically wide at the center, narrows to the sides, silver sides, golden center, text “Stage Custom All Birch Shell” and “Handcrafted since 1967”
-Made in China
-Tom mounts: YESS (floor tom brackets are non-YESS)
-Lugs: Absolute (metal)
-Wood: birch, 7-ply (7.7mm) bass drums, 6-ply (6.6mm) toms and snare
-Rounded bearing edges
-Die cast bass drum claws
-10 lugs on snare
-Bass drum hoops laquered only on the outside

Mine are Birch Mark II
View attachment 454216 View attachment 454217
Looks like mine are Mach 1, `08 - 14, badge lacks "Hand Crafted Since" & BD hoops are lacquered in & out. Thanks for the skinny Steve, helpful.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey MM,
you wouldn’t happen to have the most recent Yamaha catalogs for download would you?

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ive had a total of 4 Stage Customs.
1 was a Birch1
3 were Birch 2s
Thanks, ES, for the timeline

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As far as I know they were always made in Indonesia, then Taiwan and now China. The first stage series was made too in taiwan (back then part of the great republic of china).
That's not entirely correct. The first Stage Series that I had from about 1986 (Power Stage 2) were badged as Made in Japan!

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's not entirely correct. The first Stage Series that I had from about 1986 (Power Stage 2) were badged as Made in Japan!
That is new info. Thank you.

I only have the catalogs of those Stage series.

Let me check which one is my latest catalog later today, PPFD.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had no idea there was ever a Made in Japan version of the original SC. Has anyone ever seen a MIJ SC before? Or did those never make it to the US?
The 5000 stage series was introduced to the US in 1981/82. My 1983 kit was badged "Made in Japan." Since Yamaha ceased Taiwan production for their sets around 1981, I don't think you'll ever find any early 5000 stage series kits badged as "Made in Taiwan." All of the 1981-1989 years appear to be MIJ only. Don't know when the shift away from MIJ occurred.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 5000 stage series was introduced to the US in 1981/82. My 1983 kit was badged "Made in Japan." Since Yamaha ceased Taiwan production for their sets around 1981, I don't think you'll ever find any early 5000 stage series kits badged as "Made in Taiwan." All of the 1981-1989 years appear to be MIJ only. Don't know when the shift away from MIJ occurred.
Yes, my Power Stage from about 1985-6, was also badged as Made in Japan. But I have never seen a Stage Custom (which launched in the mid 1990s) with Made in Japan badges. I'm not saying that they don't exist (others here have confirmed it) but I've seen a LOT of the original SCs from the mid-to-late 1990s, and none had MIJ badging.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, my Power Stage from about 1985-6, was also badged as Made in Japan. But I have never seen a Stage Custom (which launched in the mid 1990s) with Made in Japan badges. I'm not saying that they don't exist (others here have confirmed it) but I've seen a LOT of the original SCs from the mid-to-late 1990s, and none had MIJ badging.
The SC was never made in Japan as far as I know (and Yamaha always was my life work, even my real work for over 15 years), I don’t know where people got that from.

It always was made in the lower line factories outside JP to save money, yet maintain a solid quality we all know Yamaha for.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The SC was never made in Japan as far as I know (and Yamaha always was my life work, even my real work for over 15 years), I don’t know where people got that from.

It always was made in the lower line factories outside JP to save money, yet maintain a solid quality we all know Yamaha for.
Yeah, that's what I keep thinking — Japan NEVER made Stage Customs. (Someone here had mentioned that they saw an MIJ-badged SC.)

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I keep thinking — Japan NEVER made Stage Customs. (Someone here had mentioned that they saw an MIJ-badged SC.)
It would be a unicum. A picture of such a badge would certainly help. It would make a great addition to the online library.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It would be a unicum. A picture of such a badge would certainly help. It would make a great addition to the online library.
I agree. If anyone has ever seen an MIJ badged Stage Custom, please take a photo!