Yard Sale Finds?

SteveParadis

Reaction score
This is just for fun. I casually look around yard sales for drums. Do you? Recently I found a Supraphonic 400 yeah dirty but functional condition. Paid $10 for it. Put new heads on it and a new snare wire. Lots of elbow grease. Feel like I won the lottery. Got several fancy snares - Canopus Zelkova, Noble and Cooley steam bent walnut, A& F piccolo brass, blah blah. But this makes me grin when I hit it. Here’s the before and after pics.show me your hidden find!
9492D2E6-1A2C-4A85-8AC3-C4F60DEBD712.jpeg
D91BA00A-5815-4FA8-908E-A7B4C4388EB7.jpeg
B9CD7AB7-8CF7-4E27-B8A7-7D41F351B07C.jpeg

flatwins

Reaction score
Great find. I have several snares to choose from but for last weekend’s gig I took my ‘63 Supra pawnshop rescue. It’s tough to go wrong with one.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have hit Yard sales, Thrift shops, Flea markets, and the like for decades. It's cheap entertainment I call treasure hunting. I have "hit the lottery" dozens of times, and not just with drums.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, that’s an amazing find!

I have NEVER found a garage/yard sale treasure. Part of it might be where I live. People tend to know the value of what they have, or over value it.

Over here, 14% of the population appear to be drummers, 47% guitar players, and 38% are guitar owners. The remaining 1% claim to have “played” in some vague way with the Grateful Dead, Dr. Hook and The Medicine Show, and England Dan and John Ford Coley. At any given night at a bar in Fairfax California, you can buy a drink for at lest 17 people who apparently have played in Pablo Cruise.

But I’m off topic: A bandmate spends a lot of time in Truckee and picked me up a really nice boom stand from a garage sale for $7. She’s the best.

Here it is below. A Ludwig. Actually like it quite a bit: Sturdy but not super heavy. Just enough reach to get my ride over my bass drum, the boom arm swivels and telescopes down into the shaft for easy transport. Casts a nice shadow.

433B7D08-DC37-448A-B647-7AE2DEC7506E.jpeg

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My '69 MIJ Majestic was a garage sale find, but not by me. I bought it on ebay for $60 from the older couple who found it at the yard sale. I wonder what they got it for!

moonbabie

Reaction score
Holy smokes! why am I not stoping it these garage sales.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Garage sale finds: '68 Supra in case-50$
'58 Clubdates,13,15,22,14,burgandy duco-50$
Thrifty Nickel find: '73 Ludwig ProBeat kit,13,14,16,18,22,Matching canister throne,brilliant Sky Blue Pearl,402 snare,602s,not mint but pristine.
200$!!!
Near the end of print classifieds a little over a decade ago, I saw, and responded too late to, an ad listing five 70s gibsons (3LP, 1 SG, and one V) for $200 each. I'm not entirely sure the cops wouldn't have been knocking on my door if I had responded in time.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a friend in Orlando who stopped at a yard sale in his neighborhood on his way home and bought an Oaklawn Camco 12/14/20 with a matching snare for $100!! It was a burgundy sparkle that had been painted over. He spent a few months removing the paint and they were amazing. This never happens to me!!

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is just for fun. I casually look around yard sales for drums. Do you? Recently I found a Supraphonic 400 yeah dirty but functional condition. Paid $10 for it. Put new heads on it and a new snare wire. Lots of elbow grease. Feel like I won the lottery. Got several fancy snares - Canopus Zelkova, Noble and Cooley steam bent walnut, A& F piccolo brass, blah blah. But this makes me grin when I hit it. Here’s the before and after pics.show me your hidden find! View attachment 501928 View attachment 501929 View attachment 501930
Is that a COB Slingerland rim it came with?

SteveParadis

Reaction score
That’s what I’m talking about! Buying functional stuff for lunch money. Obviously you’re a professional photographer as well. Bad ass shadow.
I don’t strike gold often but did on this one. Mid 80s Gretsch USA for $80 at a garage sale. It still had all the original Permatone heads on it. View attachment 501941
That’s drum lottery for sure! Wow!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a hard time passing by a yard sale on the off chance there might be a drum or drum set. Never is.

My best yard sale score was this tasty snare about 20 years ago. Marked $35..."would you take $25?"...."sure"

Green garage sale slingy.jpg

That $80 Gretsch set posted above is the stuff of dreams.

Bart grom Poland

Reaction score
To tylko dla zabawy. Od niechcenia rozglądam się za bębnami na podwórku. Czy ty? Ostatnio znalazłem Supraphonic 400 tak brudny, ale sprawny stan. Zapłaciłem za to 10 USD. Załóż na to nowe głowy i nowy drut werblowy. Dużo smaru łokciowego. Poczuj się, jakbym wygrał na loterii. Mam kilka fantazyjnych werbli - Canopus Zelkova, Noble i Cooley wygięty parowo orzech, mosiądz A&F piccolo, bla bla. Ale to sprawia, że się uśmiecham, kiedy go uderzam. Oto zdjęcia przed i po. Pokaż mi swoje ukryte znalezisko! View attachment 501928 View attachment 501929 View attachment 501930
[/ZACYTOWAĆ]
Men,in mine country, Poland,at the garage sale you can find only old Polish stuff,drums made by mister Szpaderski ,mister Słowik or if you are unlucky polmuz drums,wchich is propably the worst Polish product.not often you can find Czech amati-but it means that you are lucky one.