Yard Sale Finds?

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Had many classified ads and flea market deals over the years.
From strictly yard sales, the first two that come to mind were a Slingerland silver sparkle bass and small tom with a matching 14x14 Ludwig floor tom and possibly an acro for $25. Then they asked if I wanted the stack of Zildjians and new Remo heads for an extra $50.
The other...there was an ad for a garage sale that had "drums" in the listing. When I got there, it was raining and the sale was cancelled. I knocked in the door and got a '30s Slingerland wmp bass drum and 13" tom. When I loaded the bass drum into my car, i noticed the matching Radio King snare was packed inside it.

I know it's not yard sale Rich, but I would love to hear the psych red score story again. I'm sure others would too. Thats sounds like a dream to me.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it's not yard sale Rich, but I would love to hear the psych red score story again. I'm sure others would too. Thats sounds like a dream to me.
Used to be awesome huge flea markets on Saturday and Sundays in NYC at 26th and 6th. They were so big that there would be overflow flea markets at nearby smaller parking lots. (All these lots are now huge apartment buildings.) The vendors were primarily storage unit pickers before and estate buyers before they became well known. Get to this one flea market and against a brick is lined up a few Ludwig psych red sets and a bunch of singles. Had to make a few trips to get them all. That's all I remember about it. Don't remember what I paid, but I'm sure it was not much.

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not a yard sale, but a few years ago I drove down the main drag in town, and someone had these out by the side of the road with a FOR SALE sign. We negotiated a price, I went to find a cash machine, and they went home with me. "Slingerleedy" 22x12, 14x5.5. Still have the bass drum, but sold the snare (should have kept it) for almost as much as I paid for both drums.
mlc_keltneresque.jpg

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not a garage sale find, but I got a set of 14" 1950's A Zildjian hi hats on Facebook marketplace for $20.

My neighbor in Chicago scored a big lot at an estate sale. He ended up with a 1960's Gretsch kit (13, 16, 20) with a set of Turkish K's, a 1960's Slingerland kit (13, 16, 22) with a set of vintage A's, a Slingerland Lite kit, a few snares, a stack of heads, and a ton of NOS Regal Tip sticks. He didn't say how much he paid, but he did say it was well under $1000.

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
I was talking to a fellow musician at church one day about drums. He told me he got a Ludwig Vistalite "Jellybean" kit at a yard sale some years back.

Fast forward a few months, and he suddenly asked me if I wanted the kit, I was like "heck yeah, but I don't have any money unfortunately." He said "no, you can have them." I was flabbergasted. It's one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me.

Here is the kit when I got it.

Here is the kit after I restored it. It took about 20 hours. I polished the chrome, buffed the shells with an orbital sander with Novus 1 and 2, repainted the bass drum hoops, and replaced the sparkle inlay. I have since bought a period-correct 13" Red tom to replace the 13" Amber so now every drum is a different color.

I love this kit, I'll never part with it. It's unique and it sounds killer!

flatwins

Reaction score
I was talking to a fellow musician at church one day about drums. He told me he got a Ludwig Vistalite "Jellybean" kit at a yard sale some years back.

Fast forward a few months, and he suddenly asked me if I wanted the kit, I was like "heck yeah, but I don't have any money unfortunately." He said "no, you can have them." I was flabbergasted. It's one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me.

Here is the kit after I restored it. It took about 20 hours. I polished the chrome, buffed the shells with an orbital sander with Novus 1 and 2, repainted the bass drum hoops, and replaced the sparkle inlay. I have since bought a period-correct 13" Red tom to replace the 13" Amber so now every drum is a different color.

Love the jellybean look! I’m trying to do something similar with Sonor Acryl drums but they are like hens teeth in the US.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Used to be awesome huge flea markets on Saturday and Sundays in NYC at 26th and 6th. They were so big that there would be overflow flea markets at nearby smaller parking lots. (All these lots are now huge apartment buildings.) The vendors were primarily storage unit pickers before and estate buyers before they became well known. Get to this one flea market and against a brick is lined up a few Ludwig psych red sets and a bunch of singles. Had to make a few trips to get them all. That's all I remember about it. Don't remember what I paid, but I'm sure it was not much.
Thanks, I love that story!

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
At any given night at a bar in Fairfax California, you can buy a drink for at lest 17 people who apparently have played in Pablo Cruise.

I made the mistake of taking a bite from a hamburger right before reading this I laughed, coughed, gagged, and laughed some more.

Thank you for the medical emergency. :D

Oh, and now I have "Whatcha gonna do" and "Atlanta June" running through my head...

Last edited:

SteveParadis

Reaction score

That’s a great story and set. A little good luck and elbow grease. Kaboom!

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Utterly floored by this find today. 68 Keystone Jazzette Thermogloss 12x18 bass drum and 8x12 tom, 15” trans stamp hats, 50’s Gretsch hi hat stand, Ludwig throne, unknown snare with wood hoops, and Naugahyde bags for the Ludwigs.

Unfortunately the floor tom was not a part of the set (should be easy to find, right? :happy8:) , and the front hoop and claws/rods are missing as you can see. Also odd that the bass drum’s badge is offset from center, although there is no evidence that it’s anything but factory. There’s a faint outline of the badge on the snare, and the throw off/butt are missing as well.

6FE641CE-673F-4D7F-81B3-37A035AC6C67.jpeg
D197FEDB-094C-4F9E-8492-97C1176BAA6B.jpeg
F787C2DC-BFA7-486A-967B-3AE571098B21.jpeg
F25731F4-5CF0-44F4-9B63-56A110FBE9B3.jpeg

Last edited:

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
Utterly floored by this find today. 68 Keystone Jazzette Thermogloss 12x18 bass drum and 8x12 tom, 15” trans stamp hats, 50’s Gretsch hi hat stand, Ludwig throne, unknown snare with wood hoops, and Naugahyde bags for the Ludwigs.

Unfortunately the floor tom was not a part of the set (should be easy to find, right? :happy8:) , and the front hoop and claws/rods are missing as you can see. Also odd that the bass drum’s badge is offset from center, although there is no evidence that it’s anything but factory. There’s a faint outline of the badge on the snare, and the throw off/butt are missing as well.

View attachment 503161 View attachment 503162 View attachment 503163 View attachment 503164
That's a killer find! Mind saying how much you got it for?

IIRC, 60s era 18" bass drums are worth more because of how rare they were back then.

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
That's a killer find! Mind saying how much you got it for?

IIRC, 60s era 18" bass drums are worth more because of how rare they were back then.
I paid 250 for the lot, which I thought was a steal, and then the seller threw in the snare as well. She’s an estate sale hound and knew these were worth a lot more, but felt like it should just go to a good home.

The REAL crazy part is that she mentioned she felt bad charging 250....because she got the set for EIGHT WHOLE DOLLARS.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys must be lucky because here in Florida I've never found any drum stuff. Everything here ends up on Craigslist and priced like it's made of gold.:(

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
22x14 Premier Resonator bass drum , factory complete $10
Keystone Ludwig supraphonic with Slingerland lightweight student snare stand $20
B/O 5x14 Supraphonic from ' Trash n Treasure ' 2nd hand shop, Arnprior ,Ontario . 9.5 / 10 condition . $ 40 . This was one of the 'good ones'
Plywood box with complete set of 80's TAMA stands and the matching seamless steel snare $15
AquaSatinFlame , choc. milk int.'s ,Slingerland 20x14 and 16 x16 black and brass Slingerland badge plus Rogers Memriloc double braced cymbal stands $ free $
Heavy hardwood African djembe with a 10/10 goatskin $ free $
WFL Speedking $ 4
RhythmTec half moon mountable tambourine $ 2
Ludwig black and gold duco clubdate 20" bass drum with matching pioneer snare and 18" Ludwig/Paiste cymbal $ free $

and last but not least -

1953 14x7 Slingerland student Radio King white lacquer,cloud badge with matching snare stand $ 10

Last edited: