Yard Sale Finds?

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wrapping up a day's hunting and gathering at The Great Glebe neighborhood yard sale here in Ottawa some years ago when I heard a snare drum . I stopped and followed the sound . I couple blocks away there it was on the sidewalk . My heart was pounding as I approached .... yup, a flaky 5x14 keystone Supraphonic . The seller was packing up for the day and, like a moose call , gave it a few extra swats to see what might come out of the bush . Me .

That's the 20 dollar drum with stand that I mentioned in my previous post .

healthie1

Reaction score
Not a yard-sale find, but for $750 I recently got a PDP 5-piece set, an extra snare, a full set (hats/x3 crashes/china/22" ride/zilbel) of A-Customs, hardware, etc. Guy said he spent $4500 on everything; very happy.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Found on a Sunday afternoon, at the curb, directly across the street from my house (20/12/14/sn). Ironically, garbage pickup isn't until Tuesdays.
Also with full set of Macintosh canvas cases, stands, and 15" K Istanbul crash cymbal.
Champ20-12-14-5sn.JPG

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Found on a Sunday afternoon, at the curb, directly across the street from my house (20/12/14/sn). Ironically, garbage pickup isn't until Tuesdays.
Also with full set of Macintosh canvas cases, stands, and 15" K Istanbul crash cymbal. View attachment 503381

Did you ever find out why she was so mad at him?

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Also with full set of Macintosh canvas cases, stands, and 15" K Istanbul crash cymbal. View attachment 503381
Amazing! years ago I helped out a guy that got drums from his wife's Grandmother. The couple went to visit the Grandmother sometime after the Grandfather had passed. When they got there, old drums were piled up in the street where the trash goes. The guy asked if he could salvage them and took them home. Not knowing anything about them he took the snare to a music store not far from me and of course he got attacked like a starved bear coming out of the woods. The snare he had was a beautiful 5x14 1920's Black beauty super sensitive in amazing condition. The store knew me and pointed him in my direction to help him find out exactly what he had. I saw everything and the bass drum was a 20's L&L that had a flapper painted on the front. I guess that bass drum was much like the leg lamp in Christmas story and since the Grandmother always hated it, it was tossed out after he passed! There were also some 40's Leedy toms and some old pie plate cymbals. I guess the Grandfather fed the family during the depression with the set when he was a teenager. I was honest with the guy and told him he had great stuff. I couldn't lie.

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
i don't blame the people for throwing them out ... there's no bottom hoops on the toms .
same with the bass drum

healthie1

Reaction score
Another good get I remembered - a craigslist ad had about 15 cymbals displayed on the floor for $75. I went and several were cracked, but I got 2 pairs of 70s zildjians, an 18" HH dark crash amongst a couple other good things. Turns out these had been left over the years at their jam space and were just clearing it out.

The stories of people putting the drums on the side of the road is baffling to me.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Did you ever find out why she was so mad at him?
The home is inhabited by a widow, the widow's sister and the widow's daughter. The son, who hasn't lived there for like 30+ years was a drummer when younger and these were stored in their boiler room after he hung up his sticks.

Starship Krupa

Reaction score
The best one was when my neighbor put a '79 Maxwin Rock 705/CB700 LeMans kit (13-14-22 minus floor tom, what is it with missing floor toms?) out on his front lawn, with miscellaneous hardware. Said it was all dumpster bound if nobody took it. Although I'd been playing bass, guitar, and keyboards for 30 years, I'd only ever learned two beats on the drums, the Money, and the Surf/Little Sister (bass snare-snare bass, bass snare-snare bass :D). The only piece that makes it a "find" is the Big R Rogers Supreme (Bonham) hi hat stand that was in the pile.

I had it in my mind to add the missing pieces and either donate it to a school or convert my housemate into being a drummer. Turns out that getting an old shell set with no bass pedal or snare into playing shape is not trivial. Fortunately, my local music store is managed by a drummer who was sympathetic to my cause. He turned me loose in a storage room where they had a deep collection of miscellaneous rims, lugs, spur mounts, tuning rods, etc. To them, it was all repair parts, and of course, very few people come in wanting their CB700's fixed up.

If I were the sort of person who pays much attention to common wisdom about what is and isn't worth fixing up, I would have checked and then just bought a $100 cheapo kit on Craig's List. But I have a thing about saving things from the dumpster (Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang Syndrome, I call it). And I was slowly emerging from a months-long episode of horrible deep depression and needed a project to seize upon.

A drummer neighbor donated a '60's Japanese Mercury marching snare, I traded a guitar for a throne and a couple of thrashed DW5000's, pair of ZBT hats and floor tom (I cut a new bearing edge on the bottom and released a cloud of cat pee aroma) from CL and it was finally playable. So I sat down and it was a revelation. I could feel my poor depressed brain doing pushups. When I got in a groove, nothing else existed, I was in a meditational state. If you're still reading this, you know what I mean. The sweet endorphin rush when my limbs finally stop fighting me and relax and do what I'm asking them to do instead of what they think they're supposed to do.

Present day, 9 years later, I play drums more than any other instrument. Main kit is a 1970 Slingerland New Rock, but I wrapped the CB's in pistachio sparkle vinyl and that's my block party kit. The neighbors love seeing the "dumpster" kit all dolled up. Rescue instruments reward love like rescue dogs. In some ways, that kit and I saved each other. Due to having a top-of-the-line super-responsive hi hat stand from day one, I got good at accents, double-tap hat splashes and pssht's.

Obligatory "find the awesome vintage drum for cheap" content: best one to date is the '58-ish WFL Barrett Deems gold-on-black Duco snare for $80. It sat on the San Francisco Craig's List for multiple weeks, I guess people didn't know that WFL=Ludwig or something, or maybe they couldn't see past the flaked finish and pitting. Maybe the drum was staying put until it found a guy who would refurb it lovingly. I learned how to use an airbrush just so I could put a new gold stripe on it (and yes the width variations on my stripe are intentional, that's how the factory ones look). I call it my Ringo snare, 'cause the same model got the name "Jazz Festival" after William F. Ludwig got his family name back.

CB's after wrapping, WFL as purchased, WFL as refurbished:

CBfront.jpg

Deems B4 att.jpg

Deems after Gallery.jpg

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
The best one was when my neighbor put a '79 Maxwin Rock 705/CB700 LeMans kit (13-14-22 minus floor tom, what is it with missing floor toms?) out on his front lawn, with miscellaneous hardware. Said it was all dumpster bound if nobody took it. Although I'd been playing bass, guitar, and keyboards for 30 years, I'd only ever learned two beats on the drums, the Money, and the Surf/Little Sister (bass snare-snare bass, bass snare-snare bass :D). The only piece that makes it a "find" is the Big R Rogers Supreme (Bonham) hi hat stand that was in the pile.

I had it in my mind to add the missing pieces and either donate it to a school or convert my housemate into being a drummer. Turns out that getting an old shell set with no bass pedal or snare into playing shape is not trivial. Fortunately, my local music store is managed by a drummer who was sympathetic to my cause. He turned me loose in a storage room where they had a deep collection of miscellaneous rims, lugs, spur mounts, tuning rods, etc. To them, it was all repair parts, and of course, very few people come in wanting their CB700's fixed up.

If I were the sort of person who pays much attention to common wisdom about what is and isn't worth fixing up, I would have checked and then just bought a $100 cheapo kit on Craig's List. But I have a thing about saving things from the dumpster (Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang Syndrome, I call it). And I was slowly emerging from a months-long episode of horrible deep depression and needed a project to seize upon.

A drummer neighbor donated a '60's Japanese Mercury marching snare, I traded a guitar for a throne and a couple of thrashed DW5000's, pair of ZBT hats and floor tom (I cut a new bearing edge on the bottom and released a cloud of cat pee aroma) from CL and it was finally playable. So I sat down and it was a revelation. I could feel my poor depressed brain doing pushups. When I got in a groove, nothing else existed, I was in a meditational state. If you're still reading this, you know what I mean. The sweet endorphin rush when my limbs finally stop fighting me and relax and do what I'm asking them to do instead of what they think they're supposed to do.

Present day, 9 years later, I play drums more than any other instrument. Main kit is a 1970 Slingerland New Rock, but I wrapped the CB's in pistachio sparkle vinyl and that's my block party kit. The neighbors love seeing the "dumpster" kit all dolled up. Rescue instruments reward love like rescue dogs. In some ways, that kit and I saved each other. Due to having a top-of-the-line super-responsive hi hat stand from day one, I got good at accents, double-tap hat splashes and pssht's.

Obligatory "find the awesome vintage drum for cheap" content: best one to date is the '58-ish WFL Barrett Deems gold-on-black Duco snare for $80. It sat on the San Francisco Craig's List for multiple weeks, I guess people didn't know that WFL=Ludwig or something, or maybe they couldn't see past the flaked finish and pitting. Maybe the drum was staying put until it found a guy who would refurb it lovingly. I learned how to use an airbrush just so I could put a new gold stripe on it (and yes the width variations on my stripe are intentional, that's how the factory ones look). I call it my Ringo snare, 'cause the same model got the name "Jazz Festival" after William F. Ludwig got his family name back.

CB's after wrapping, WFL as purchased, WFL as refurbished:

View attachment 503572
View attachment 503573
View attachment 503574
Duco on, brother! Nice job.

Cmoore

Reaction score
I have a hard time passing by a yard sale on the off chance there might be a drum or drum set. Never is.

My best yard sale score was this tasty snare about 20 years ago. Marked $35..."would you take $25?"...."sure"

View attachment 501971

That $80 Gretsch set posted above is the stuff of dreams.
love that color

Cmoore

Reaction score
Had many classified ads and flea market deals over the years.
From strictly yard sales, the first two that come to mind were a Slingerland silver sparkle bass and small tom with a matching 14x14 Ludwig floor tom and possibly an acro for $25. Then they asked if I wanted the stack of Zildjians and new Remo heads for an extra $50.
The other...there was an ad for a garage sale that had "drums" in the listing. When I got there, it was raining and the sale was cancelled. I knocked in the door and got a '30s Slingerland wmp bass drum and 13" tom. When I loaded the bass drum into my car, i noticed the matching Radio King snare was packed inside it.
WOW!!! ok i'm getting pumped to go try this garage sale thing!