Yard Sale Finds?

Cmoore

Reaction score
I was wrapping up a day's hunting and gathering at The Great Glebe neighborhood yard sale here in Ottawa some years ago when I heard a snare drum . I stopped and followed the sound . I couple blocks away there it was on the sidewalk . My heart was pounding as I approached .... yup, a flaky 5x14 keystone Supraphonic . The seller was packing up for the day and, like a moose call , gave it a few extra swats to see what might come out of the bush . Me .

That's the 20 dollar drum with stand that I mentioned in my previous post .
Snare stalking!! nice find!

healthie1

Reaction score
The best one was when my neighbor put a '79 Maxwin Rock 705/CB700 LeMans kit (13-14-22 minus floor tom, what is it with missing floor toms?) out on his front lawn, with miscellaneous hardware. Said it was all dumpster bound if nobody took it. Although I'd been playing bass, guitar, and keyboards for 30 years, I'd only ever learned two beats on the drums, the Money, and the Surf/Little Sister (bass snare-snare bass, bass snare-snare bass :D). The only piece that makes it a "find" is the Big R Rogers Supreme (Bonham) hi hat stand that was in the pile.

I had it in my mind to add the missing pieces and either donate it to a school or convert my housemate into being a drummer. Turns out that getting an old shell set with no bass pedal or snare into playing shape is not trivial. Fortunately, my local music store is managed by a drummer who was sympathetic to my cause. He turned me loose in a storage room where they had a deep collection of miscellaneous rims, lugs, spur mounts, tuning rods, etc. To them, it was all repair parts, and of course, very few people come in wanting their CB700's fixed up.

If I were the sort of person who pays much attention to common wisdom about what is and isn't worth fixing up, I would have checked and then just bought a $100 cheapo kit on Craig's List. But I have a thing about saving things from the dumpster (Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang Syndrome, I call it). And I was slowly emerging from a months-long episode of horrible deep depression and needed a project to seize upon.

A drummer neighbor donated a '60's Japanese Mercury marching snare, I traded a guitar for a throne and a couple of thrashed DW5000's, pair of ZBT hats and floor tom (I cut a new bearing edge on the bottom and released a cloud of cat pee aroma) from CL and it was finally playable. So I sat down and it was a revelation. I could feel my poor depressed brain doing pushups. When I got in a groove, nothing else existed, I was in a meditational state. If you're still reading this, you know what I mean. The sweet endorphin rush when my limbs finally stop fighting me and relax and do what I'm asking them to do instead of what they think they're supposed to do.

Present day, 9 years later, I play drums more than any other instrument. Main kit is a 1970 Slingerland New Rock, but I wrapped the CB's in pistachio sparkle vinyl and that's my block party kit. The neighbors love seeing the "dumpster" kit all dolled up. Rescue instruments reward love like rescue dogs. In some ways, that kit and I saved each other. Due to having a top-of-the-line super-responsive hi hat stand from day one, I got good at accents, double-tap hat splashes and pssht's.

Obligatory "find the awesome vintage drum for cheap" content: best one to date is the '58-ish WFL Barrett Deems gold-on-black Duco snare for $80. It sat on the San Francisco Craig's List for multiple weeks, I guess people didn't know that WFL=Ludwig or something, or maybe they couldn't see past the flaked finish and pitting. Maybe the drum was staying put until it found a guy who would refurb it lovingly. I learned how to use an airbrush just so I could put a new gold stripe on it (and yes the width variations on my stripe are intentional, that's how the factory ones look). I call it my Ringo snare, 'cause the same model got the name "Jazz Festival" after William F. Ludwig got his family name back.

CB's after wrapping, WFL as purchased, WFL as refurbished:

View attachment 503572
View attachment 503573
View attachment 503574
What a great little story! thank you for sharing.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I’ve only found acros at garage sales for about 20-50$ but my recent find was this case. It latches the top and bottom together or can separate. Has wheels and fits 14” snare drums perfectly. Paid 5$ for it. The people selling it said it was there friends and he kept cables and mics in it. Make a great display piece in my hall way corner.

Attachments

Redfern

Reaction score
So I’ve only found acros at garage sales for about 20-50$ but my recent find was this case. It latches the top and bottom together or can separate. Has wheels and fits 14” snare drums perfectly. Paid 5$ for it. The people selling it said it was there friends and he kept cables and mics in it. Make a great display piece in my hall way corner.
Killer find!!!!

1988fxlr

Reaction score
I’ve never done too well with yard sales, but all of these have been found in the garbage over the years. Also working on making a kit out of mix of 3 ply ludwigs and stop sign gretschs that were saved from a dumpster, although they spent a few days in the rain before I got to them. Got a half decent aria bass with old dimarzios still plugged in to a little peavey practice amp too
B856BCA0-FAF4-4B0C-A528-140C5EE5C419.jpeg

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
14" Rogers floor tom, $5. Two little old ladies who almost beat me to it: "What do you think, Edna, will this work as a planter? Okay, I guess not..."

Gretsch RB snare and tom, $10. Seller: "Oh yeah, there were also two big drums and a bunch of metal parts, but they took too much space, so I tossed them".

Complete 1942 Leedy set, $50. A fellow musician at the sale, full of unsolicited expert advice: "Don't waste your money, they're too old and no good".

Just a few among my many finds over the years. Love all the stories, keep 'em coming!

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a yard sale but having a similar intent by the original seller.

Some time after her husband passed away a widow "attempted" to dispose of this 1966 Slingerland bop kit that was bought new by her husband. First attempt to donate the kit to local schools proved fruitless. They didn't want some "old" useless kit.
A local swap meet guy happened to spy it in the widow's house when doing some maintenance for her. He got it for not "too much" money. He then attempted to flip the kit to his local Guitar Center for $750 as he still didn't know exactly what he had.
GC didn't want to "pay" for the hardware so they refused to take it all for the asking price. Apparently GC doesn't handle used hardware. That was a good turn of events since it eventually found its way to CL where I was the 1st one to see it.
12,14,18, Supra with trans stamp 20 ride, mid-50's paper thin 18 crash, and late 60's New Beats. Slingerland serial numbers all pretty close together.
BEFORE...........and............AFTER.

Slingy bop 1.jpg
best 2.jpg

Last edited:

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not a yard sale but having a similar intent.

Some time after her husband passed away a widow "attempted" to dispose of this '66 Slingerland kit that was bought new by her husband. First attempt to donate the kit to local schools proved fruitless. They didn't want some "old" useless kit.
A local swap meet guy / handyman happened to spy it in the widow's house when doing some work for her. He got it for not "too much" money. He then attempted to flip the kit to his local Guitar Center for $750 as he still didn't know exactly what he had.
GC didn't want to "pay" for the hardware so they refused to take iit all for the asking price. Apparently GC doesn't handle used hardware. That was a good turn of events since it eventually found its way to CL where I was the 1st one to see it. 12,14,18, Supra
with trans stamp ride, mid-50's paper thin 18 crash, and late 60's New Beats. Slingerland serial numbers all pretty close together.

BEFORE...........and............AFTER.

View attachment 505429 View attachment 505432

Superb! And what did it cost you, CW?

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Geesh. There's something to said for living far away from all the glitz and glamor of LA. I have yet to ever see any percussion-related item at a yard or estate sale in my neck of the woods. Everything around here is either baby items, old people crap (like walkers), blenders, about-ready-for-the-curb Ikea junk, board games with missing pieces, and the occasional box of incandescent light bulbs.

Ransan

Reaction score
This was a CL find not yard sale.

Cleveland era Rogers Luxor in gold sparkle very pristine, no rashing or striated color; with standard 6 beaver tails.

I’ve seen mufflers on Luxor’s, though no muffler was ever present in this shell.

97371EC1-EF7C-4A6D-85E8-AD5C6C0DAB52.png
1ABF649A-8C0B-4387-9448-0E349FCAA86E.jpeg
5BFA5A09-C799-465F-B68F-C09DBF4D834E.jpeg
BAFEFCDA-6BEA-4CE4-8EF1-BE13CF908BA0.jpeg
9F8BE777-C609-4D69-BF7E-9B30C58B79F4.jpeg
7E7C5E17-18E4-4941-8D8A-C2A38C2EE6B2.jpeg

Briefly:
I was scouring the market Saturday mid day, mowed yard took shower, and into 2nd cold one, decided to check the ol’ CL again. Saw this ad, contacted seller who satisfied my inquiries; and, made 1 1/2 hour round trip to The Springs to grab this snare and some grub.

The man in his 60’s, had it purchased for him around 68’ as his student model, came with stand, sticks, and suitcase.
Strangely, the man said he parted out the matching kit just weeks prior, and he knew the worth/value of this snare, yet let it go.

As a collection, this is my 2nd Cleveland era snare.

Last edited: