yeah baby...from that little ole drum co. down in TX

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A&F Artist Brody Simpson transporting back to the era of no bottom heads...or is that forward!?!
Here he is on his A&F Drum Co. 12x26 Antique White Maple Field Kick($1250), 8x14 Antique Red Maple Field Snare($980), 9x13 Raw Steel Rack($800), and 14x16 Floor($1200)

So many questions.
If they want to do the single head thing now...WHY leave the bottom part of the lug LONG and just hanging out on there? Or was this just one of those hot dusty TX summer days after a few too burnt ends from Franklin BBQ and a few too many Lone Star Beers that someone said..."Hey, I know what we do for a few shits and giggles..." Whatever it was, By Gawd...dear sirs in Austin, I salute you!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
reminds me of a set listened to the other day on YT As Stevie Nicks would say.... "Stand back..."

which sounds better...

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
how long until one of those lugs gets caught on something and bends or breaks off. at these prices?? no thanks.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
how long until one of those lugs gets caught on something and bends or breaks off. at these prices?? no thanks.
No kiddin, a person can PUT AN EYE OUT with that big ol long ass lug!

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In the seventies my very first kit was a beat to death 1960s Japanese stencil kit. Someone had removed (and lost) the bottom heads, hoops, bass drum front head, hoop, claws, and all of the tension rods.

I have not been a member of the single head club ever since.

No thank you.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You'd have to be an idiot to spend that amount of money, to get that drum sound.

Take any old, cheap kit, take off the bottom heads (if it even has them), it probably has beat up pinstripes on it - leave them on, tape more crap to said pinstripes (use tea towels, Ringo fans love that), shove some 421's right up to the heads, do your best impression of a drummer from the 70's (cocaine optional).

You're welcome.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those shells look awful thin to me and with no re-ring to have just batter heads tensioned on a single point lug. That is a recipe for disaster.

Reddy

Reaction score
A&F Artist Brody Simpson transporting back to the era of no bottom heads...or is that forward!?!
Here he is on his A&F Drum Co. 12x26 Antique White Maple Field Kick($1250), 8x14 Antique Red Maple Field Snare($980), 9x13 Raw Steel Rack($800), and 14x16 Floor($1200)

So many questions.
If they want to do the single head thing now...WHY leave the bottom part of the lug LONG and just hanging out on there? Or was this just one of those hot dusty TX summer days after a few too burnt ends from Franklin BBQ and a few too many Lone Star Beers that someone said..."Hey, I know what we do for a few shits and giggles..." Whatever it was, By Gawd...dear sirs in Austin, I salute you!

Sounds like Eagles “Those Shoes”.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
For that sound all you need is a cheap early-'70s MIJ kit, some paper towels and a bit of tape. If you're gonna spend that kind of coin you should be after drums that sound like well, DRUMS — you know, with tone and everything.

I blame Ringo and his friggin' tea towels. I mean, I love the guy (happy birthday today, BTW!) but his drum sound on The Beatles, Let It Be and Abbey Road really killed drums for around 15 years.

robthedrummer

Reaction score

So many questions.

Lot of money to sound like an 80's era drum machine. No thanks.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If they want to do the single head thing now...WHY leave the bottom part of the lug LONG and just hanging out on there?
It looks to me that they just removed the bottom heads from a regular set. If it's something new and it's designed that way, then I agree. Why?

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I dig the concert tom sound. It's just another option. The big, Bonham type sound doesn't work for everything. Sometimes single heads are just the ticket.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
If they're playing an Eagles tune, the drummer (or someone with enough influence on him) might well have said "hey man, take them bottom heads off. We're doin' 70's covers after all!"