Yet Another "Help Me Find This Ride Cymbal Sound"...

tbird8450

Reaction score
I'm looking for something higher in pitch, with a glassy sort of wash and not a ton of loud / complex overtones. I happened to stumble onto this yesterday, and wow, it's pretty much exactly what I'm after, except for the small, inconvenient detail that it's been sold to someone other than me:

I've listened to other Mehmet Legend Darks (what very few there are on YouTube), along with Traditionals, Nostalgias, and many others, with no luck. I've run through videos / soundfiles for a ton of Paistes, Zildjians, Sabians, other Istanbuls, and many more, and nothing else has turned up. I'm (obviously) okay with any brand. I'd prefer new, but open to used in this case. I've pretty much been limiting myself to rides - but given the higher pitch and brighter tone of this, maybe dipping into the crash pool would be warranted? That's a bit tougher since most crash videos generally consist of someone beating the heck out of the cymbal and smacking the bell, and not much in the way of riding.

Thanks.

Nubs

Reaction score
Man, that is a nice ride indeed! Very good stick definition and very pingy! I like it!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, you take that diameter (20") and weight (1940g) and seek out every Simble (within reason) with those specs..
I
ll tell ya right now a Bosphosrus Traditional Thin Ride 20" is 1934g..
A MTL 20" K Con may also be in this range.

Go to your Meinl, Sabian Old A, what ever.. and find the one for you
- that also blends in with the rest of your cymbals/ simbols

Last edited:

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seems like it has high tension. Not much wobble. Brings up the pitch in a lighter weight ride. I’ve had some stiff, thin, late-60’s/early-70’s A’s that had that tone.

tbird8450

Reaction score
So, you take that diameter (20") and weight (1940g) and seek out every Simble (within reason) with those specs..
I
ll tell ya right now a Bosphosrus Traditional Thin Ride 20" is 1934g..
A MTL 20" K Con may also be in this range.

Go to your Meinl, Sabian Old A, what ever.. and find the one for you
- that also blends in with the rest of your cymbals/ simbols
I think I've listened to just about every cymbal on YouTube that's 1940g +/- 20, and a lot more outside of that range. Some are kinda sorta in the ballpark, but nothing's gotten all the way there yet. As TPC said, this seems like an uncommonly stiff cymbal. There's a vendor trying to bring in some more Dark Legends and they'll let me take a listen when they come in, but I have a feeling this one's pretty unique.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Ed Thigpen Crystal if you can pry one from some drummers cold, dead hands. They don’t come up for sale much, but they’re out there. Really has those sound characteristics.

I’d start listening to Paiste if I was after that sound. From your description I immediately thought Paiste. And then hearing the cymbal I thought - Paiste. That glassy, shimmery quality is classic Paiste. A flat ride may get you there, but for a more versatile cymbal check out a 602 Heavy. Has the shimmer and clean ping but somehow is extremely crashable. I don’t know how Paiste does it, but they have some magic.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I've listened to just about every cymbal on YouTube that's 1940g +/- 20, and a lot more outside of that range. Some are kinda sorta in the ballpark, but nothing's gotten all the way there yet. As TPC said, this seems like an uncommonly stiff cymbal. There's a vendor trying to bring in some more Dark Legends and they'll let me take a listen when they come in, but I have a feeling this one's pretty unique.
there's two Nostalgia 20s
on that site

tbird8450

Reaction score
Ed Thigpen Crystal if you can pry one from some drummers cold, dead hands. They don’t come up for sale much, but they’re out there. Really has those sound characteristics.

I’d start listening to Paiste if I was after that sound. From your description I immediately thought Paiste. And then hearing the cymbal I thought - Paiste. That glassy, shimmery quality is classic Paiste. A flat ride may get you there, but for a more versatile cymbal check out a 602 Heavy. Has the shimmer and clean ping but somehow is extremely crashable. I don’t know how Paiste does it, but they have some magic.
Oh, you may be onto something with the ETC rides. They're at least getting there. I'll dig in more when I'm in front of good speakers. I've definitely listened to a bunch of Paiste (and own quite a few). Some 602s have sorta gotten there, but none that I've heard have made it all the way yet. I actually sold a vintage 602 Heavy not too long ago. Maybe I'll check out some other ones.

there's two Nostalgia 20s
on that site
Indeed. I listened to them, and while quite nice, they don't really hit the mark I'm aiming for.

Pibroch

Reaction score
Depending on your priorities, level of comfort (and possibly financial resources) you could of course contact the shop which sold that cymbal, ideally in person, and offer to pay for name and contact details of whoever bought it, and take it from there.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seek out an independent cymbal smith and let him listen to what you want. They can replicate pretty much any cymbal.

I'm not sure where you live, but Jesse Simpson out of Brooklyn NY is very good. There are quite a few around if your interested.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Mehmet in the OP sounds clearly hand-hammered, organic, Turkish. Has a higher tone but is still earthy, not very glassy to my ear. Nice mix of attributes. There is the Trad. light ride that might be a bit more washy than the one in the video, which is spiral-lathed.
If you are mainly looking for a similar blend of "sweet" overtones but maybe more "zing" and glassniess, look into As. 20" A medium ride (post-2013), crash ride, the Take Five model... Or maybe, for even more glass, a Paiste vintage Giant. Seems to be another universe, but the pitch /mix of tones might be similar.

tbird8450

Reaction score
I think I found it. Literally all I needed to do was click two cymbals down from the one I originally liked and cross into crash country. Oh well, I sure got to hear a whole damn bunch of cymbals.

Here's the little 18" that will hopefully fit the bill: