You can have only one kit for the rest of your life - what do you choose?

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have plenty of kits to where I could choose just one for the rest of my life.

But if I could sell it all and buy just one kit forever? 22x16, 13x9, 16x16 Yamaha PHX. Not sure if they make those exact sizes in a PHX, but whatever's closest.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’d stick with what I have, Ludwig Classic Maple Downbeat configuration, but a sparkle finish, maybe blue or turquoise, or gold, or champagne,
or....

Snare is hard a choice. Only one? 6.5 Black Beauty. Or maybe a 6.5 Acrolite.

Cymbals—even harder choice: 15 K Light hats, 20 K Medium and K Custom Dark rides (One for loud and one for everything else); old thin A 20 crash ride.

The above suit the rock/pop/rootsy/country-esque settings into which I parachute.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Either an 80’s Tama Superstar or a Jenkins Martin Blaemire in 10/12/15/16/20x16. Both can do anything, the only edge is that I really don’t have to baby the JMs.

As far as cymbals, I like my current setup of Agops.
14” Azure hats
19” Sultan crash
16” Sultan crash
22” Xist power crash
24” SE Jazz TW

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've already had my "forever kits" several times over: Recording Customs, Super Classics, Maple Customs, et. al.. And all of them were great kits.

Call me crazy, but in 2000 I found the kit that really rang my bell and has given me more pleasure than any other - a set of Pacific CX MIM Maples. I also have a 7-piece kit of NOS Slingerlands from the Conway era, but the Pacific kit sounds just as good. Go figure.

GeeDeeEmm

First Drum Set, First Band 008.JPG

Myk

Reaction score
Musiqman, the wrap on that Remo kit is incredible, very nice!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You know, I've thought about this for days and I just don't know my own answer. I know the sizes I would want but not the brand or series. As for cymbals I'm good if I never buy another plate, but drums... I'm still undecided!!!!

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pretty much there. Can’t picture finding anything better for me then my recently bought Slingerland set. The tones I hear in my mind. Cleanest vintage set I’ve ever owned. 12/14/22. Great gigging sizes. Not looking for anything else.....
09C68CD0-CE8B-4978-B485-D75E86FF6452.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My Gretsch USA Customs in gold sparkle 12/16/22/5.5x14(8-lug). Hands down the best sounding set I've ever owned........and I've owned a lot of them.

120.JPG

RedeyeSPR

Reaction score
Pretty much there. Can’t picture finding anything better for me then my recently bought Slingerland set. The tones I hear in my mind. Cleanest vintage set I’ve ever owned. 12/14/22. Great gigging sizes. Not looking for anything else..... View attachment 434804
I have a 12/13/16/20 exactly like yours. Mine went to green rather than yellow when it aged. It sounds amazing, agreed!

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh man this question has been stuck in my head for the past 6 months or so, I want to get down to only kit mainly due to space limitation but I also like the idea of having one kit only, it just becomes more special, I want a kit that will cover a small jazz combo situation and will also cover Rock’n Roll, I could go with a 20/14/12 but I may need a 22 bass and a 16 floor for extra boom. So, I am thinking I should have a shell bank of 1 kit instead of having 2 4-piece kits and extra snares that I don’t use. However, there are problems, it’s hard to let go of the kits I have and I also love so many drums to just have 1 set, but I have to do it, I will be happier.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh man this question has been stuck in my head for the past 6 months or so, I want to get down to only kit mainly due to space limitation but I also like the idea of having one kit only, it just becomes more special, I want a kit that will cover a small jazz combo situation and will also cover Rock’n Roll, I could go with a 20/14/12 but I may need a 22 bass and a 16 floor for extra boom. So, I am thinking I should have a shell bank of 1 kit instead of having 2 4-piece kits and extra snares that I don’t use. However, there are problems, it’s hard to let go of the kits I have and I also love so many drums to just have 1 set, but I have to do it, I will be happier.
Shellbank is the way to go for sure.

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
I'm cheating here, I'm going to say I'd stick with my made in Japan Starclassic Bubinga series, but I'd order a full set of shells in Scorched Copper Burst (still available) to compliment my array of shells in Satin Cordia. Sometimes, I love a wood finish, and sometimes I love a sparkle finish. As far as the drums, they are the nicest looking/sounding drums I ever owned, and I've owned a bunch. I'm never going to limit myself to one snare drum... I have too much fun with them!

This is what I play...
frontnewrideposition1small.jpg

newksplashes2small.jpg

newksplashessmall.jpg

newridepositionnewksplashes1small.jpg

starzebrawoodsmall.jpg

This is the finish I'd add... same brand and series.
Close up Black Nickel Lugs and finish.JPG

Josh Vibert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've made this decision over the last year or so: my DW Collectors in Broken Glass, sizes 8x10, 9x12, 12x14, 14x16, 18x22 with Ludwig 6.5x14 Black Beauty (LB417). Any of my "professional" playing has always been as a call guy. I was only in an original band for a couple years back in high school. As such, my gear needs to be versatile. I'd like to think that a 20" kick is the most versatile size, but I think the 70's ruined that for everyone. People (sound guys, other musicians) expect a bass drum to sound a certain way and carry a certain volume and tone. I took a Pearl Masters 16x20 kick to a couple gigs and fought battles with the sound guys. That was the end of that. Occasionally I think I'd like to have a matching 14x20 for my DW's, but in reality, I always make do at small venues with my 22, a Vater Vintage Bomber beater, good tuning, and a soft foot. Sure a 14x20 would be easier to move, but I have an SUV and can carry the 18x20 just fine. Bottom line is this is a great kit. Looks great, sounds great, commands respect and brand recognition, it's the whole package.

As long as I've had this kit up until the past year, I've always had a second smaller kit. It was a vintage MIJ (Majestic) kit in 12/14/20 setup and then it was a DW Frequent Flyer. Nothing wrong with either of those kits, but I'm just not at a stage of life where I need to have/store/have $ tied up in multiple kits. So, I sold them off and kept this DW kit because it's the most versatile.

Last edited:

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had been considering doing this for a long time. As of January of 2019 I owned eight drum kits. I had my DW Collector's kit that I bought new in 2008, four vintage Gretsch kits, and three vintage Slingerland kits. It was just too much stuff. I gigged eighty percent of the time with my DWs. One of my Slingerland kits stayed set up at a rehearsal space across town for over five years. I always kept one kit set up in my basement practice/rehearsal space, I would change sets at home depending on my whim. The "extra" kits lived in their cases until I'd gig them or set them up in the rehearsal room. I had been playing in the same same rock and soul cover band, gigging almost every weekend for over five years. I always had at least one other band that I'd gig with, and I subbed fairly regularly. All of the different kits did get used at least on occasion. It was sort of fun, but it was gear wise it was really "just too much stuff".

I thought about it for a long time and was enjoying the sound of my Gretsch kits quite a bit. I thought seriously about keeping a set of vintage Gretsch for home, putting another one of my vintage Gretsch kits across town at the rehearsal space, and ordering a brand new set of Gretsch USA Customs to be my gig kit. Then I'd sell everything else. I'd been saving my money while I was contemplating this. My intent was to make this my "forever" kit. I felt confident that I'd never have a need or get a chance to do this again, so I wanted to do it right.

The week before the NAMM show in January of 2019, I walked into my local Gretsch dealer (Pittsburgh Drum Exchange) and ordered a set of Gretsch USA Customs in silver glass nitron wrap. I went with 10", 12", 14", 16", and a 22" x 14" bass drum. I wanted a matching snare, but I wanted to get my order in before the flood of NAMM orders. I didn't have the cash on hand to order the snare at the time, I knew that I'd likely order it soon after. (And I did.)

I've been retired from my day job since 2009. All of my gear purchases are made with a combination of gig money, and money made buying and selling gear over the years. In March of last year a life long friend was stuck for a daylight bartender three days a week at the neighborhood bar that their family has owned for forty years. I had never tended bar in my life, I enjoyed sleeping in, and had no interest in "working" beyond my band gigs. But they really were in a bind, so I agreed to do it until they found someone, or I decided that I liked it. I actually enjoyed it. Plus, it gave me a couple hundred dollars a week of "fun money", which for me has always meant "gear money". At the same time I started to sell off some kits. My gear money fund was swelling up quickly. As much as I love vintage kits, I resisted buying anything. A new crazy idea took hold in my head.

One of my excuses for having all of those kits was that one had a 24" bass drum, another had an 18", others had either 20" or 22" kicks, and each one was in a different configuration that was suitable for some gig. As I started to sell the kits off it occurred to me that I was really going to miss having all of these options. Hmm...

My new Gretsch kit arrived the first week of June of last year. It was perfect!

1586527526139.png

1586527590282.png

So I put part two of my crazy plan into gear. I went to Pittsburgh Drum Exchange and ordered more drums to make this kit into a shell bank.

They arrived the end of January.

So, the short answer is that my forever kit is a Gretsch USA Custom shell bank.

1586527913594.png

I've worked hard to get this, but I also appreciate how lucky I am to have it.

In the end I could not bear to sell my DWs, and financially I didn't have to. After eleven years of gigging, they are still in perfect condition. I ordered all new factory heads for that kit and loaded them into their cases, they are stored for the time being. Some day I may sell them or they might come out of retirement for a future project.

The amusing post log to all of this is that the band that I gigged constantly with broke up, as did the secondary band that I also gigged a good bit with.

I had a line on a new band, and was ready to audition with them when Covid-19 put the world on hold. When the time comes, I won't lack for gear. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts