You can have only one kit for the rest of your life - what do you choose?

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
This a tough one, but I would have to go with my 6 piece Recording Custom.
This is from about 9 yrs ago when they reissued them, they made 15 sets in 3 colors.
This is set #2. has the matching snare which is excellent.

IMG_9614.JPG

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
Gretsch! 10-12-14, 12x20. Mufflers on all drums both sides, and internal micing on the bd so you can run no port. All necessary sounds available at your fingertips!

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Shellbank is the way to go for sure.
Yup I was thinking even if I go with a kit that I won’t be able to find a matching 18” bass drum for I can still use the 16” floor to play at small venues and clubs, and the 22 will cover me for rock or anything that requires more volume. I am not sure just having one 20 bass is sufficient, it may be, 20 is pretty versatile.
Finding a matching 18” bass for every kit out there is difficult unless you order a kit brand new which I never do.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've made this decision over the last year or so: my DW Collectors in Broken Glass, sizes 8x10, 9x12, 12x14, 14x16, 18x22 with Ludwig 6.5x14 Black Beauty (LB417). Any of my "professional" playing has always been as a call guy. I was only in an original band for a couple years back in high school. As such, my gear needs to be versatile. I'd like to think that a 20" kick is the most versatile size, but I think the 70's ruined that for everyone. People (sound guys, other musicians) expect a bass drum to sound a certain way and carry a certain volume and tone. I took a Pearl Masters 16x20 kick to a couple gigs and fought battles with the sound guys. That was the end of that. Occasionally I think I'd like to have a matching 14x20 for my DW's, but in reality, I always make do at small venues with my 22, a Vater Vintage Bomber beater, good tuning, and a soft foot. Sure a 14x20 would be easier to move, but I have an SUV and can carry the 18x20 just fine. Bottom line is this is a great kit. Looks great, sounds great, commands respect and brand recognition, it's the whole package.

As long as I've had this kit up until the past year, I've always had a second smaller kit. It was a vintage MIJ (Majestic) kit in 12/14/20 setup and then it was a DW Frequent Flyer. Nothing wrong with either of those kits, but I'm just not at a stage of life where I need to have/store/have $ tied up in multiple kits. So, I sold them off and kept this DW kit because it's the most versatile.

Great kit! From 2008 until 2019 I used a DW kit in the same finish and same sizes, most of the time with a Black Beauty as the snare. Great minds think alike, and so do ours.

Last year I bought a Gretsch USA Custom shell bank. My original intention was to sell all of my other kits including my DWs, but I could not bring myself to sell this kit. I bought a full set of new factory heads for it and put it away in it's cases for now. It really is a great kit.

Here is a shot me behind mine three or four years ago under the lights.

1586547656675.png

Latest posts