You First Drum Lesson

Tocspok

Reaction score
Remember your very first drum lesson?

This September will mark 30 years since my first drum lesson. In sixth grade, we had an open band night, where our parents took us to hear all the instruments and pick which one we wanted to start with. My stepdad kept trying to get me to play saxophone, since he had an old tenor in the attic. I kept wanting to play drums, but I was so tiny my mother was afraid I wouldn't be able to carry a drum. At the intro night, I was building myself up to compromise on the trumpet when they brought out a new drum. It was super lightweight with these snap claws instead of lugs. I looked at my mom and she just nodded her head.

Of course, no drum at first. At the drum table, we bought the intro "kit". A pair of 2Bs, an intro book (which I can't remember), and a slanted wood practice block with rubber glued on. I was so excited! Those first days and weeks of lessons and learning to read music and trying to get the bounce just right. Those giant 2Bs in my tiny hands and this was the mid 80s and in small town Ohio we still learned traditional grip. But with time came the grip and it all went from there. Christmas that year I got the lightweight snare drum and the shoulder sling so I could march around the house. (snare is still in mom's attic, never selling it! who would want it?)

A shout out is in order here for that first teacher, Mr. Stroup. Even though he was a french horn player mainly, he got me through my first two years. Later Ms. Wenzel introduced me to Stone's Stick Control and the rest is history.

Do you remember your first lessons? The excitement of owning your own set of sticks. Your clunky hits that sounded more like press rolls. Getting the angle correct for your left hand on that old Ludwig practice block.

Drum Doctor

Reaction score
I remember dragging my Ludwig Pioneer White Pearl back and forth to Junior High School on the bus in 1965, my band teacher Mr. Walters who was also a drummer (but despised his drum students to a degree). Summer lessons with Mr. Walters helped me along and after Jr High it was on to High School and marching band, symphonic band, state band contests, the rock band with friends playing at "Sock Hops"......

Following a 40+ year "hiatus" for college and a career I'm back now. In fact I just started back last week with lessons from a young drummer whose Father was not even born when I laid down my drum sticks. Rudiments seem vaguely familiar.........

Drummer1990

Reaction score
Ehh Yeah... First ever drum lesson.. Hmm how should I put this... Was a nightmare I was a nervous wreck,my father was screaming at me and I ended up storming away from kit after 1 hour... Took me 4 days to learn a 4 count beat with use of kick.... Lets just say It's a memory ive erased from my mind..... 16 years later I can blast 16th notes like no tomorrow TAKE THAT DAD

Ludzil

Reaction score
My first drum lesson was rememberable. I think my mom brought me and my oldest sister came along too for some reason. Noticed something right away that was off about my teacher. He was an older guy I guess in his 40's. From the corner of my eye I could see him grabbing his crotch every once in a while sqeezing a few times. But I was 9 or 10 and clueless. He was my drum teacher on and off for the next 5 or 6 years and then I knew what he was up to. Never touched me but kept up with the crotch grabbing and would leave dirty mags around. Although he was a good drummer and teacher and was the teacher who taught me the most, I still feel weird about the whole thing. And he was a member of BIG BROTHERS too.
Thinking back now, I wonder why I didn't say anything to anyone at the time. :dontknow: