You have to pay to talk to me

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many of you guys know that I host and produce The Drum Shuffle podcast. For the first time since I started the show in February of 2018, I had someone ask for money to be a guest on the show. I won't mention this famous drummer's name, as they should be embarrassed enough already by this. I contacted them through an appropriate (approved) method and asked for an interview. They got back to me within a couple hours. The response was, "I'd love to do the interview, but I have to charge you. I hope you understand and respect this. It would be great if you could pay $500." That is a direct quote.

Um, yeah, I'll pass. Hard, hard, pass. I know times are tough for folks with no gigs right now, but I've done 107 episodes of the show with many well-known/famous drummers. Not one past guest has even mentioned money to me. If you don't want to do a smaller show or media outlet like mine, just say no thanks. It happens all the time. No harm, no foul. My interviews are about 50 minutes, 60, max. This was disclosed. $500 an hour to talk to them. THAT is some serious self-importance, IMO.

I'm just floored. It sucks too, as I am/was a huge fan of this drummer's playing. Understand it? Sure. Respect it? Not in this lifetime.

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know who it is or care but if you have a brand that you can sell, why give it away?

I'm not saying your passing was the wrong thing to do, your preference and choice and he should respect that but you should IMO also respect that if he could spend an hour getting paid $500 that's his opportunity cost of doing the interview for free.

Just my opinion

KevinD

Reaction score
Well that is disappointing, and as far as I can see, being on your show, which has a good rep amongst drummers, should be seen as an honor, or at the very least, a means of keeping ones profile out there while all this is going on (or maybe not going on).

I'm afraid this is going to fuel a lot of speculation as to who it is, so i'll just ask this:

For the $500 would he be able to remember which specific songs that he played on for Ringo? :)

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think being asked to be paid is entirely unreasonable, but $500 seems a bit rich. A podcast that I listen to pays all of its guests, as they're giving content to the show with no return other than the money they're being paid.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know who it is or care but if you have a brand that you can sell, why give it away?

I'm not saying your passing was the wrong thing to do, your preference and choice and he should respect that but you should IMO also respect that if he could spend an hour getting paid $500 that's his opportunity cost of doing the interview for free.

Just my opinion
That's fair, and I'm probably just mad at the situation and disappointed, honestly. However, if you're losing money by doing an interview right now, then you're losing money taking the time to ask for the money to do an interview...You would have to be the busiest musician on the planet right now. I don't think that's the case here. I dunno.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that is disappointing, and as far as I can see, being on your show, which has a good rep amongst drummers, should be seen as an honor, or at the very least, a means of keeping ones profile out there while all this is going on (or maybe not going on).

I'm afraid this is going to fuel a lot of speculation as to who it is, so i'll just ask this:

For the $500 would he be able to remember which specific songs that he played on for Ringo? :)
Nope. Not THAT one. LMAO

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's fair, and I'm probably just mad at the situation and disappointed, honestly. However, if you're losing money by doing an interview right now, then you're losing money taking the time to ask for the money to do an interview...You would have to be the busiest musician on the planet right now. I don't think that's the case here. I dunno.
And I'm not saying you're wrong either, I guess I would be annoyed too if someone of this caliber asked when you've already interviewed peers of his (assuming a "he") who didn't charge you. So eh, life goes on.

Going to check out your podcasts btw.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, sadly you may now need to add a paragraph in your request letter indicating that your podcast is a labor of love and that there's no compensation for appearing on the show. I mean, in an age where almost every professional musician is scrambling like heck to find two nickels to rub together, I guess I understand why he'd ask. But it's a bummer all around. We're all sorta scuffling now, I guess.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think being asked to be paid is entirely unreasonable, but $500 seems a bit rich. A podcast that I listen to pays all of its guests, as they're giving content to the show with no return other than the money they're being paid.
This is intriguing to me...I can see the rationale, but why doesn't Modern Drummer or Rolling Stone pay for the "content" provided by subjects being interviewed? Maybe they do? If I were making money from the podcast, I might feel differently, I don't know. I give my show away for free, don't ask for donations from my listeners, and don't sell ads to Amazon and Capital One. Different business models for everything, I guess.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
I don't know what the going rate is, but $500 for One Hour - of talking, not playing - seems extremely steep.
I don't know of any pro that charges even close to that for a one hour drum lesson where playing is actually done.
It was probably going to be remote too, with the covid crap going on. So no travel time/expenses either to have to incur.

You definitely have my support with passing on this one.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the going rate is, but $500 for One Hour - of talking, not playing - seems extremely steep.
I don't know of any pro that charges even close to that for a one hour drum lesson where playing is actually done.
It was probably going to be remote too, with the covid crap going on. So no travel time/expenses either to have to incur.

You definitely have my support with passing on this one.
Correct. It should be noted that ALL my interviews are done via phone call. This was also disclosed in advance. 500 bones for a 50 minute phone call.

KevinD

Reaction score
The way that world usually works (acknowledging that everything in the past year has been turned upside down) is that usually, when an artist does media it is a two-way street. The Host gets good interview content and the interviewee gets to talk about their latest goings on, and maybe promote a gig or book etc..and that is about it. I know in certain situations on the larger TV talk shows there is (or was when I lived in LA) a nominal fee due to union rules or something similar and a level of accommodation (i.e. airfare, hotel and some other goodies) afforded to the interviewee. But at a regular musician level, I've never heard of it.

Regarding the $500 they might be making if he/she were doing something else... hmmmm my guess is that they would be taking that $500 gig IF it were really available as a first choice anyway.

I would be interested to hear Scott K Fish's take on this (assuming he still drops in)

jaymandude

Reaction score
Ha. We’re all sitting around speculating on who it is.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Man I get how you feel but everything is not always free. Some people do charge for the time they invest. Many shows pay all the time to have guests on whether it's radio, TV, internet podcasts etc..
And the reason they pay is not so the guest can make a living but because having him there expands the audience.
A favor is one thing if you ask for it but business/livelyhood is another!
I will agree though that $500 is alot!

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In a prior life I was a journalist and never had anyone ask me to pay them for a profile or interview. I’ll admit things may have changed since then.
However, it seems to me that you are giving that artist a forum to talk about his craft—for free. Then you are broadcasting it via a medium to an audience which you have nurtured and cultivated through your endeavor and hard work—also for free. You are giving him something for his resume—for free. You are giving that drummer an outlet to broadcast and advertise himself, his band, his freelance work, his teaching, his book, whatever--also for free.

He should be paying you.

(I assume this is a male drummer as I have never met a female musician that arrogant. Singers, well that is another topic entirely.)

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The majority of good journalists do not pay for interviews. That's a National Enquirer thing to do.

Latest posts