You have to pay to talk to me

paulwells73

Reaction score
Sorry if this was discussed already, but is it possible that this drummer thinks that the podcast is more of an educational opportunity? Does he think that it‘s almost like doing a clinic or a phone lesson? Maybe that’s where the demand for payment comes from? Could it be that this drummer is not up on current technology/media trends and thinks appearing on a podcast is akin to a clinic? I’m not saying it is, but maybe this drummer thinks so.

I’ve seen drummers like Dave Weckl appear on lots of YouTube channels giving great interviews, which I’m sure he didn’t ask for money to do. When I was writing regularly for Modern Drummer, I interviewed Dave and he didn’t ask for any sort of compensation. In fact, he was extremely generous with his time and efforts. However, I’ve seen him do some YouTube clinics/seminars recently - one for Sweetwater, and one of Vic Firth - and I’d assume he was paid for those.

Dumpy

Reaction score
Sorry if this was discussed already, but is it possible that this drummer thinks that the podcast is more of an educational opportunity? Does he think that it‘s almost like doing a clinic or a phone lesson? Maybe that’s where the demand for payment comes from? Could it be that this drummer is not up on current technology/media trends and thinks appearing on a podcast is akin to a clinic? I’m not saying it is, but maybe this drummer thinks so.

I’ve seen drummers like Dave Weckl appear on lots of YouTube channels giving great interviews, which I’m sure he didn’t ask for money to do. When I was writing regularly for Modern Drummer, I interviewed Dave and he didn’t ask for any sort of compensation. In fact, he was extremely generous with his time and efforts. However, I’ve seen him do some YouTube clinics/seminars recently - one for Sweetwater, and one of Vic Firth - and I’d assume he was paid for those.
Dave most likely was paid for those clinics as part of his compensation as an endorser. After all, you are part R&D, part publicity generator and part brand ambassador in most endorsement agreements.

Here’s where I see interviews: you get to plug your latest (whatever) on my show in exchange for me talking to you and asking a few questions. If I am going to pay for this time, you will not be able to plug anything and you do what I want, whether it be give a lesson, tell me and my fans how great my podcast is, and possibly tell one story about a famous gig. If you even come close to trying to plug a new project, that part will be cut. If there isn’t enough content, I won’t pay.

I understand that times are hard, but to ask a guy who makes no money from a podcast for $500 when there is a good chance of “Don’t forget to go to www.butthole drummer.com (not a real website) and buy my wonderful junk I am pushing off...” getting slipped in, this guy not only took $500 but also got paid to advertise!

I interviewed the man who worked with Greg Lemond and Lance Armstrong in the A&M wind tunnel fifteen years ago. We had ground rules on what I could cover, but he gave me TWO HOURS and would have gone on MORE. This guy is a GOD in the world of cycling and triathlon. He did it FOR FREE and didn’t even have a product to plug!!! Okay- you could have (at the time) booked him and the A&M wind tunnel. That’s why the “you gotta pay me to talk to me” rubs me so much the wrong way.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No strike was intended. I spoke my mind. (Kumbaya is for boy scouts.)
I agreed with him.
If one feels strongly enough to go public about a perceived slight, one should perhaps have the strength of conviction to name the offending party. It would have been more fair had he named him along with the others. Otherwise, don't name anyone.
Peace.
[/b]
Give me a break. It was extremely respectful not to name this person and he could have easily done so, making the dude look 100 times worse. He vented, learned what is bothering him is out of the norm, and did the right thing for him telling possible guest no.

It’s almost coming across like you’re being a Nosey Nelly and just want to know. Again, what you said was a direct attack, kicking him while he was down and feeling bad in my opinion.

Last edited:

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
This is an interesting topic. Most have sided with the OP in that the subject ought to be willing to provide a free interview. A few comments:

1) Not knowing who the subject in question is, it is impossible to get any further towards understanding what created the $500 payment response. This could be an individual who abhors interviews. Or, he may not need any publicity and simply values his personal time, but would be willing to give that up for a $500 bill. There are other possibilities.

2) If the offer of $500 was turned down, it is the same as a "No" answer. So that leaves us with an anticipation and a critical viewpoint towards this individual whom we don't know who he is.

3) I knew nothing of the OP's podcast. Now I do. So it appears that the awareness of the podcast has increased simply at the expense of a publicized "no" answer. You've turned the lack of an interview into free publicity for your podcast, smart move!

4) I have no problem with the person saying "no, but if you pay me $500 I'll do it" so I am on the side of the drummer who declined.

5) I wonder if the drummer in question might not have intended that as being a starting point in a type of negotiation, and if the interviewer had been thinking on his feet better, may have been able to talk him into it utilizing persuasive means and showing how it would have amounted to free publicity. But, then again, maybe not. Maybe we'll never know.

Dumpy

Reaction score
This is an interesting topic. Most have sided with the OP in that the subject ought to be willing to provide a free interview. A few comments:

1) Not knowing who the subject in question is, it is impossible to get any further towards understanding what created the $500 payment response. This could be an individual who abhors interviews. Or, he may not need any publicity and simply values his personal time, but would be willing to give that up for a $500 bill. There are other possibilities.

2) If the offer of $500 was turned down, it is the same as a "No" answer. So that leaves us with an anticipation and a critical viewpoint towards this individual whom we don't know who he is.

3) I knew nothing of the OP's podcast. Now I do. So it appears that the awareness of the podcast has increased simply at the expense of a publicized "no" answer. You've turned the lack of an interview into free publicity for your podcast, smart move!

4) I have no problem with the person saying "no, but if you pay me $500 I'll do it" so I am on the side of the drummer who declined.

5) I wonder if the drummer in question might not have intended that as being a starting point in a type of negotiation, and if the interviewer had been thinking on his feet better, may have been able to talk him into it utilizing persuasive means and showing how it would have amounted to free publicity. But, then again, maybe not. Maybe we'll never know.
If this was the first time he was asked to pay for an interview, it’s off-putting, at best. I totally get where you’re coming from with it possibly being a point of negotiation. And maybe the drummer in question had a spat with his SO, his mother screamed at him on the phone, his cat got shot by rival cat gang members and he was nursing a massive hang over all in the same day, therefore wanted to spread the joy he was feeling.

A lot more people have checked out the OP’s site. Good thing, over all.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
That means that they're a songwriter with published music in high rotation. That limits who it could be to Dave Grohl, Don Henley, Phil Collins, Don Brewer and Manu Katché.
Add Carmine to that list. He has a writing credit for "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy".

jansara

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Give me a break. It was extremely respectful not to name this person and he could have easily done so, making the dude look 100 times worse. He vented, learned what is bothering him is out of the norm, and did the right thing for him telling possible guest no.

It’s almost coming across like you’re being a Nosey Nelly and just want to know. Again, what you said was a direct attack, kicking him while he was down and feeling bad in my opinion.
I made the mistake of responding to what was a vapid, self-centered post in the first place. Typically, your name-calling shows the childish level at which many of the topics on this forum operate.

Last edited:

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesn't need the $500 but would probably require a lot more to show up.
Actually, Ringo's PR firm was really nice and money was never mentioned. They politely declined my ask and told me to keep in touch. They took the time to A- ask about my show, B- respond professionally, and C- encourage me to ask again in the future. Ringo's people "get it" in my opinion.

jb78

Reaction score
I feel like this one is much simpler than people are making it. Unless I'm mistaken (and I don't think I am), the norm for most interviews - whether it's Rolling Stone or a podcast, is to not pay the interviewee. So asking for $500 is abnormal. And sometimes it can hurt to ask; people may view you as unreasonable or greedy.

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Alternate thread title: “If you say no to me I’ll make you look bad on the internet.” And people wonder why anyone might be hesitant to do press. The money was a dare not a request and he knew you wouldn’t take the dare, and he was right not to do it confirmed by this thread.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Alternate thread title: “If you say no to me I’ll make you look bad on the internet.” And people wonder why anyone might be hesitant to do press. The money was a dare not a request and he knew you wouldn’t take the dare, and he was right not to do it confirmed by this thread.
How on earth do you come to this conclusion when he hasn't named the person?

This thread is ridiculous.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I disagree! If it was a dare as you state, the amount would have been way above $500. How do you know that the drummer knew that the OP wouldn't take your supposed dare?
How about if the OP would have actually agreed to pay him the $500. Then what?
Was the guy gonna run away at that point or ask for more money?
$500 is $500 but it's not a ridiculous amount of money!
And the OP hasn't mentioned who the drummer is so you're "Alternate thread title" suggestion is very flawed.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What? Nobody knows who this person is so how can they possibly look bad?
Yes this drummer believes he was right not to do it...because he was not being paid $500 for his time.
Right now none of us know who this drummer is, and never will, so he missed his publicity for all of us and that's OK on both sides.

Last edited:

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After all this, I kinda hope this guy calls back and says, "I'll be happy to do the show. I was misinformed by my management and regret any confusion". I mean, One, this can't be the first time he's been approached by an independent podcast. Two, he has to have discussed this subject with his peers at some point(and know that money does not change hands), and Three, he had to know that you don't have Netflix's budget. Four, even if we agree on that time always equals money, I still maintain that that fee was tacky and insulting. I mean, I've taken lessons with known drummers and they never asked for $500 for a hour lesson. Dude needs to put the glass pipe down.

Dan

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heck, if I could talk with Ringo for an hour it would be worth $500, and I don't even have a pod cast!

I don't know the OP's finances or if this is just an issue of "principal", but if this person is such a huge amazing drummer, and a big idol/influence, you could always do one of those "go fund me"-type drives - heck, maybe even here! - everyone who chips in $20 gets a question answered.........this way, it's a win-win for you, the drummer and the donors......just sayin'.

I think there are many ways to skin this cat.........

Dumpy

Reaction score
Heck, if I could talk with Ringo for an hour it would be worth $500, and I don't even have a pod cast!

I don't know the OP's finances or if this is just an issue of "principal", but if this person is such a huge amazing drummer, and a big idol/influence, you could always do one of those "go fund me"-type drives - heck, maybe even here! - everyone who chips in $20 gets a question answered.........this way, it's a win-win for you, the drummer and the donors......just sayin'.

I think there are many ways to skin this cat.........
My question: what makes you think you’re so wonderful that you deserve $500 for this interview?

Latest posts