You have to pay to talk to me

tdcdrums

Reaction score
In a prior life I was a journalist and never had anyone ask me to pay them for a profile or interview. I’ll admit things may have changed since then.
However, it seems to me that you are giving that artist a forum to talk about his craft—for free. Then you are broadcasting it via a medium to an audience which you have nurtured and cultivated through your endeavor and hard work—also for free. You are giving him something for his resume—for free. You are giving that drummer an outlet to broadcast and advertise himself, his band, his freelance work, his teaching, his book, whatever--also for free.

He should be paying you.

(I assume this is a male drummer as I have never met a female musician that arrogant. Singers, well that is another topic entirely.)
Best response yet!

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I think anybody has a right to ask for money for anything someone asks of them. I also believe that the other party has the right to say "no" and move on, or try to negotiate acceptable terms. It's understandable how feelings can be hurt over things like this, but you get over it and learn from it.

Dumpy

Reaction score
I think anybody has a right to ask for money for anything someone asks of them. I also believe that the other party has the right to say "no" and move on, or try to negotiate acceptable terms. It's understandable how feelings can be hurt over things like this, but you get over it and learn from it.
Actually- many things can be learned from this fraternal order of drummers as great input has been posted.

Point of negotiation and hitting up sponsors for the money. Great points.

Dumpy

Reaction score
Again.....It seems to have gotten lost that speady1 hosts a radio show and makes NO money from it. So, what do you folks expect him to pay the dude with?
You’re not wrong; however- the point was made that one could hit up one of his endorsees for the money in exchange for a plug for said company. That’s a very sensible AND savvy solution.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Actually, Ringo's PR firm was really nice and money was never mentioned. They politely declined my ask and told me to keep in touch. They took the time to A- ask about my show, B- respond professionally, and C- encourage me to ask again in the future. Ringo's people "get it" in my opinion.
That's nice to hear. He certainly doesn't need the money but I get the impression his time is pretty valuable to him. My guess would be that whatever Ringo might get paid for such appearances probably goes to his charity anyhow.

OZjazzer

Reaction score
Absolute rubbish. You’re giving him a platform to talk to his fans about his craft and you have to pay him?

Nice work if you can get it.

“Today I’m talking to Joe Fullofhimself who, by the way, wanted 500 bucks to be interviewed on this show .......”

dnel77

Reaction score
Like someone mentioned before. I see nothing wrong with him asking to get paid. If u dont want to pay fine! Not unreasonable. Just move on.

dnel77

Reaction score
In a prior life I was a journalist and never had anyone ask me to pay them for a profile or interview. I’ll admit things may have changed since then.
However, it seems to me that you are giving that artist a forum to talk about his craft—for free. Then you are broadcasting it via a medium to an audience which you have nurtured and cultivated through your endeavor and hard work—also for free. You are giving him something for his resume—for free. You are giving that drummer an outlet to broadcast and advertise himself, his band, his freelance work, his teaching, his book, whatever--also for free.

He should be paying you.

(I assume this is a male drummer as I have never met a female musician that arrogant. Singers, well that is another topic entirely.)

dnel77

Reaction score
That's nice to hear. He certainly doesn't need the money but I get the impression his time is pretty valuable to him. My guess would be that whatever Ringo might get paid for such appearances probably goes to his charity anyhow.
Ringo is a millionaire! Most musicians arent ringo

Danzgroove

Reaction score
Many of you guys know that I host and produce The Drum Shuffle podcast. For the first time since I started the show in February of 2018, I had someone ask for money to be a guest on the show. I won't mention this famous drummer's name, as they should be embarrassed enough already by this. I contacted them through an appropriate (approved) method and asked for an interview. They got back to me within a couple hours. The response was, "I'd love to do the interview, but I have to charge you. I hope you understand and respect this. It would be great if you could pay $500." That is a direct quote.

Um, yeah, I'll pass. Hard, hard, pass. I know times are tough for folks with no gigs right now, but I've done 107 episodes of the show with many well-known/famous drummers. Not one past guest has even mentioned money to me. If you don't want to do a smaller show or media outlet like mine, just say no thanks. It happens all the time. No harm, no foul. My interviews are about 50 minutes, 60, max. This was disclosed. $500 an hour to talk to them. THAT is some serious self-importance, IMO.

I'm just floored. It sucks too, as I am/was a huge fan of this drummer's playing. Understand it? Sure. Respect it? Not in this lifetime.
Damn. That’s three hours Union scale. Lol. Sounds like B******, or C******. I don’t care how well known you are, or think you are, it’s not cool to charge. Especially for a podcast. That’s bad mojo. So many drummers and fans out there love to hear back stories and ‘tips and tricks’ of the trade. Just not cool.

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many of you guys know that I host and produce The Drum Shuffle podcast. For the first time since I started the show in February of 2018, I had someone ask for money to be a guest on the show. I won't mention this famous drummer's name, as they should be embarrassed enough already by this. I contacted them through an appropriate (approved) method and asked for an interview. They got back to me within a couple hours. The response was, "I'd love to do the interview, but I have to charge you. I hope you understand and respect this. It would be great if you could pay $500." That is a direct quote.

Um, yeah, I'll pass. Hard, hard, pass. I know times are tough for folks with no gigs right now, but I've done 107 episodes of the show with many well-known/famous drummers. Not one past guest has even mentioned money to me. If you don't want to do a smaller show or media outlet like mine, just say no thanks. It happens all the time. No harm, no foul. My interviews are about 50 minutes, 60, max. This was disclosed. $500 an hour to talk to them. THAT is some serious self-importance, IMO.

I'm just floored. It sucks too, as I am/was a huge fan of this drummer's playing. Understand it? Sure. Respect it? Not in this lifetime.
make a counter offer.. $20. 00 ;-)

Latest posts