You have to pay to talk to me

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Interesting. In the business world, depending upon the consultant's credentials it's approximately $100/per hour with a minimum of 4 - 5 hours guaranteed plus any expenses incurred on the phone. Pre-Covid you were paid mileage, tolls, parking and lunch as well. That said, you are not consulting this person per se, simply interviewing them. So, really very little leg-work on their part to do any pre-work. I think you made the right move passing. The person you could have interviewed though made a dumb decision because exposure at any age or level, is the name of the game in the entertainment business.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The person you could have interviewed though made a dumb decision because exposure at any age or level, is the name of the game in the entertainment business.
I see everyone’s point about exposure having value, although I don’t make it a habit of playing for free at some venue for exposure ;)

Seems to me the value of that exposure depends on how much exposure we are talking about. Certainly if we are talking about an appearance on national television it is one thing and if it is an apparance on someone’s home-made podcast, it’s another. I’m not making any judgement about the podcast in question as I know nothing about it, just illustrating extremes.

Last edited:

Slingwig26

Reaction score
Many of you guys know that I host and produce The Drum Shuffle podcast. For the first time since I started the show in February of 2018, I had someone ask for money to be a guest on the show. I won't mention this famous drummer's name, as they should be embarrassed enough already by this. I contacted them through an appropriate (approved) method and asked for an interview. They got back to me within a couple hours. The response was, "I'd love to do the interview, but I have to charge you. I hope you understand and respect this. It would be great if you could pay $500." That is a direct quote.

Um, yeah, I'll pass. Hard, hard, pass. I know times are tough for folks with no gigs right now, but I've done 107 episodes of the show with many well-known/famous drummers. Not one past guest has even mentioned money to me. If you don't want to do a smaller show or media outlet like mine, just say no thanks. It happens all the time. No harm, no foul. My interviews are about 50 minutes, 60, max. This was disclosed. $500 an hour to talk to them. THAT is some serious self-importance, IMO.

I'm just floored. It sucks too, as I am/was a huge fan of this drummer's playing. Understand it? Sure. Respect it? Not in this lifetime.
Who? Somebody may be worth it. JR? Vinnie?

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
50 years ago I earned the equivalent of $50 (inflation adjusted) for any article I chose to write for a small-market entertainment newspaper. Since then I've periodically written articles for larger-market outlets, and for the last 25 years or so I haven't been paid a cent for any of them. Editors now expect writers to contribute for free. I notice, however, that the editors draw salaries, although understand that their salaries are low and their businesses perpetually teetering on the brink of insolvency. Mostly I notice that that the last 50 years have spewed forth billionaires who have created and control the "platforms" or whatever that the rest of us supply with content for no pay. Clearly there's been a massive shift in wealth from the people who do the work to those who preside over the technology and finance same.

My experience has been similar gigging. 50 years ago I usually earned $165 (inflation adjusted) a gig. When I quit a decade or two later I was down to $100 on a good night, $25 on a bad one. More recently I've played for free in jams. The club owner pays a 3-piece $50 each plus a sound man to host the jam, but counts on a dozen or two other musicians showing up and playing for free. But the club owner isn't making boatloads of money either. Where's all the money going? The world is collectively wealthier than it was 50 years ago, but for some strange reason club owners are struggling and musicians are either earning less or playing for free.

I doubt that one guy asking $500 for an interview is going to change any of this, and suspect that he may only be hurting himself. The problems are systemic; don't count on negotiating as an individual getting you anywhere. But I applaud his effort. Somebody has to do something.

Renno

Reaction score
Many of you guys know that I host and produce The Drum Shuffle podcast. For the first time since I started the show in February of 2018, I had someone ask for money to be a guest on the show. I won't mention this famous drummer's name, as they should be embarrassed enough already by this. I contacted them through an appropriate (approved) method and asked for an interview. They got back to me within a couple hours. The response was, "I'd love to do the interview, but I have to charge you. I hope you understand and respect this. It would be great if you could pay $500." That is a direct quote.

Um, yeah, I'll pass. Hard, hard, pass. I know times are tough for folks with no gigs right now, but I've done 107 episodes of the show with many well-known/famous drummers. Not one past guest has even mentioned money to me. If you don't want to do a smaller show or media outlet like mine, just say no thanks. It happens all the time. No harm, no foul. My interviews are about 50 minutes, 60, max. This was disclosed. $500 an hour to talk to them. THAT is some serious self-importance, IMO.

I'm just floored. It sucks too, as I am/was a huge fan of this drummer's playing. Understand it? Sure. Respect it? Not in this lifetime.
Maybe for some, time is money, just like with lawyers. Even mechanics will charge to run a ten minute code reading diagnostic to let you know what is wrong with your car. A checkup at the dentist is billable even if no work is required. Mind you, decorators will give you a free quote. Respect.
But it does seem a bit mean, $500 for a chat. Anyway the old saying is 'all publicity is good publicity' so this person must be a money grabbing chancer.

markkarj

Reaction score
I'm a former news reporter, and I'd never been asked to pay for an interviewee's time.

I do remember seeing a comment in Modern Drummer's interview of the drummer from Ramstein to the effect of "fees for this article have been donated to charity X". So I wonder what the circumstances were with that.

Dumpy

Reaction score
I'm a former news reporter, and I'd never been asked to pay for an interviewee's time.

I do remember seeing a comment in Modern Drummer's interview of the drummer from Ramstein to the effect of "fees for this article have been donated to charity X". So I wonder what the circumstances were with that.
Asking for a donation to charity in exchange isn’t a terrible thing. Seems odd but not an awful request.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Check out my friend's podcast with Liberty DeVitto. Priceless!

Dan

Dumpy

Reaction score
Check out my friend's podcast with Liberty DeVitto. Priceless!

Dan
Love Liberty! I went to a drum clinic with him. Great guy, better player!

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
Not to me. How much would would a fairly unknown podcast profit in terms of listenership based on having a big name performer as opposed to someone with little to no reputation. Just think of how many advertising dollars it would take to accomplish the same.

Hey, we’re having a party Friday night and you’re invited. And oh yeah, can you bring your guitar ;)
Five hundred bucks is not two nickels. If this person is that high on the food chain, he wouldn't need it and it makes him/her seem petty.
What happened to the brotherhood of drummers and all that. If he is doing it from his home in PJ’s and nothing else is on his schedule, well c’mon. These are trying times for everyone and if you can help a fella out without hurting yourself, just do it and know that something will come back to you one day. Just my opinion.

jaymandude

Reaction score
What happened to the brotherhood of drummers and all that. If he is doing it from his home in PJ’s and nothing else is on his schedule, well c’mon. These are trying times for everyone and if you can help a fella out without hurting yourself, just do it and know that something will come back to you one day. Just my opinion.
There’s a few people here who don’t share that opinion. Makes for an interesting read.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"talk is cheap".
"loose lips sink ships"..
what else
"minds on vacation mouth is working overtime"..
what else
oh the ultimate
"actions speak louder than words"
what else

Latest posts