"You left something in your cart"

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's one better.

I ordered a guitar from GC on March 14th because of a coupon I got (from a generous member here). It was due to ship 4/7 -- hasn't shipped yet. I called yesterday to inquire about the status. The guitar is now backordered until at least 5/12, likely longer. I was given a minimal apology for the inconvenience, and a voracious attempt at upselling. "Sorry for any inconvenience, but your guitar will qualify for our protection plan to cover repairs." I was dumbfounded...I couldn't believe what I was hearing...just said, "no I'm not buying a protection plan." Then he goes, "while you wait do you need some accessories? Like extra strings, cables, a strap?" What I wanted to say was "how do you have the guts to ask me to buy accessories for a guitar you haven't been able to ship?" but just said "NO" and hung up. At this point I only hold onto the order because I can't get this price anywhere else.
Keep in mind you're not talking to experienced musicians or equipment sellers, these are clerks reading scripts that might get a couple bucks out of selling you a protection plan, but yeah - that's kind of a slap in the face.

World we live in though, and everything seems to be on back order. Emerging C19 thing. I ordered a rack tom for my decade kit... in February I think and it just came in a couple weeks ago, sat on back order forever.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've no idea what yooz is talkin about .

I like it like that .

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Funny that these places think that this kind of harrasement is the way to make a sale. By any objective measure, I'd think that you'd turn off more people than you would inspire folks to buy stuff that they might have only been considering. It would be easier to understand if it were rouge sales people, who were really desperate for a commission and maybe not very bright. Harder to believe though that it's a company policy as I would think that for a larger business like the ones mentioned here, that there would be more thought to the strategy of selling.

Last edited:

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These guys are calling me almost everyday now.
One of those I'm just reaching out...

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's one better.

I ordered a guitar from GC on March 14th because of a coupon I got (from a generous member here). It was due to ship 4/7 -- hasn't shipped yet. I called yesterday to inquire about the status. The guitar is now backordered until at least 5/12, likely longer. I was given a minimal apology for the inconvenience, and a voracious attempt at upselling. "Sorry for any inconvenience, but your guitar will qualify for our protection plan to cover repairs." I was dumbfounded...I couldn't believe what I was hearing...just said, "no I'm not buying a protection plan." Then he goes, "while you wait do you need some accessories? Like extra strings, cables, a strap?" What I wanted to say was "how do you have the guts to ask me to buy accessories for a guitar you haven't been able to ship?" but just said "NO" and hung up. At this point I only hold onto the order because I can't get this price anywhere else.
GC stinks! Out of curiosity, if Sweetwater has it, have you tried to call them to see if they match the deal? I'd tell them the story & tell them you have the coupon. They are pretty darn good at earning business! Even if it's a backorder with sweetwater as well, I'd rather give them the business.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
GC stinks! Out of curiosity, if Sweetwater has it, have you tried to call them to see if they match the deal? I'd tell them the story & tell them you have the coupon. They are pretty darn good at earning business! Even if it's a backorder with sweetwater as well, I'd rather give them the business.
Unfortunately Sweetwater isn't a dealer for this guitar, or I would do that.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Guess what? I cleared my cart days ago. Yesterday I got another GC call. Same spiel, same person. UBFL!

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've gotten some unsolicited emails from GC, no phone calls.
The one that blows my mind is within minutes of leaving the local Home Depot I've gotten emails and text messages asking to rate my visit and/or can they help me with my next project. These people do not have my email addy or phone number from any past or present transaction. Only thing I can figure is somehow they have skimmed the info from my cell phone while I was in the store. Thats over the line in my opinion.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the calls from GC and lately they have been leaving messages to call back and they will offer me a lower price. I have not wanted anything bad enough to call back yet.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
S
I get the calls from GC and lately they have been leaving messages to call back and they will offer me a lower price. I have not wanted anything bad enough to call back yet.
Same here.
Just spent about $1.5 k these past couple of months there ,so it must be a look how much money he just spent.

moonbabie

Reaction score
Ha...It almost feels like an invasion of privacy. The next thing you know they’ll be showing up at the family barbecue.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an aside, is anyone sick of survey emails after you buy something? But a few pairs of sticks.... "How was your experience? Please take more time than it actually took to place the order to rate us!"