You shoot, you score! Best Vintage finds?

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry, the title is a product of being Canadian, and Stanley Cup finals.

Now, there have been some amazing scores in the past few weeks. Some amazing Psych Reds, $3 Acros, and forgotten Supras. And it seems some of us have been able to get close to these amazing scores, while others toil at garage sales looking at lamps.

I've been out at the Garage sales for weeks now, and I've yet to see a single drum. Even a set of Asian makes. So I put it to you gentlemen, what are the best kind of places to hit? Rummage sales? Church basement clearouts?

I'm crossing my fingers to find that lucky set. But I don't think I'll have much luck in the busy streets of Toronto!

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
School Auctions - My best score was a poorly attended school auction where two private schools were being merged. I snagged a 12/14/20 Gretsch Round Badge set, no extra holes, Silver Glass Glitter, for $12.50. Not as good, but I picked up a Keystone Suprphonic snare at a school surplus auction for what ended up being about $100 (it was grouped with a pair of timbales which I later sold). The supra sounds great with the Gretsch set.

Craigslist is good also, but hard to get "steals." Most people savvy enough with a computer to use Craigslist probably can also do a bit of internet research to figure out what they have.

mlvbs

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think the best scores are to be found on ebay and craigslist, but you have to put in many hours of searching time, and be willing to risk spending some cash on something that might not turn out that great.

I've been to many, many garage sales and flea markets, yet I've never found a single quality vintage drum or cymbal at either.

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
I think you find stuff by accident more frequently than looking for it. But I did attend a liquidation sale at a small local music store once. I walked out with a set of Luddy B&O 6 ply in Black Cortex, 24, 12, 13, 16 for $30 dollars!!

I ended up selling the 13 for $50 bucks so, essentially, I was paid $20 bucks to take the kit away!! :lol: :lol:

I still have the kit to this day, it sounds GREAT!!!! :D

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
KCDrumDad said:
My best score was a poorly attended school auction where two private schools were being merged. I snagged a 12/14/20 Gretsch Round Badge set, no extra holes, Silver Glass Glitter, for $12.50.
What...$12.50 for a Gretsch RB kit...and with the more soughtafter 12/14 tom combination? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Am in total shock......congrats for such great find!... :notworthy: :occasion5:

-elcid

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
KCDrumDad said:
elcid,
That find was an accident. I did not know what I was buying, other than some dirty old drums. It has developed into quite a hobby since then.[attachment=0]IMG_0890.JPG[/attachment]
i like the snare rack, which i need badly. but better yet, is that a tom mounted for a light above your kit. if so, love it.

mike

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
KCDrumDad said:
elcid,
That find was an accident. I did not know what I was buying, other than some dirty old drums. It has developed into quite a hobby since then
In the about six years since buying it, I have added an original 9x13 and then a rewrapped 16x16 floor tom.

True to my name, I am a Drum Dad - this is my son's set. He's 14 but understands and respects what he's got.

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
KCDrumDad said:
elcid,
That find was an accident. I did not know what I was buying, other than some dirty old drums. It has developed into quite a hobby since then.[attachment=0]IMG_0890.JPG[/attachment]
Accident or no that find cannot be matched...ever...at least that's what methinks. :drunken:
Wow, now that I see what less the 20 bucks got you am in even greater shock :shock: --thanks a lot...now I go and have a heart attack!... :D

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
mlayton said:
KCDrumDad said:
elcid,
That find was an accident. I did not know what I was buying, other than some dirty old drums. It has developed into quite a hobby since then.[attachment=3]IMG_0890.JPG[/attachment]
i like the snare rack, which i need badly. but better yet, is that a tom mounted for a light above your kit. if so, love it.

mike
The snare rack is a couple of clothes rods from the hardware store. The light is in fact a tom - Take a look at my avatar, too. I took a Percussion Plus set purchased on Craigslist (the upgraded hardware and cymbals were more than worth the $200 I paid) and made a sink, two ceiling lights and a bar table. I have a fully themed drum room I finished off last fall in my basement. View attachment 22195
[attachment=1]IMG_0892.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=2]IMG_0891.JPG[/attachment]
I took the bass drum shell and made a shelf to hold video games and equipment for my kids' Wii. I don't have pictures of the bar table or shelves yet, but I'll stop hijacking this thread and start one on drum furniture someday.

scottiedoo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
300 bucks got me a 20 13 16 green sparkle gretsch RB kit once.. (pretty faded & beat up) along with some nice 14" K hats 20" A ride & 18" A crash.. as well as a brass "slinger-leedy" snare .... I was able to snag ALL the original parts off the gretsch I needed to restore my prog. jazz kit AND flipped all the leftover stuff for a pretty nice profit.. got the drums from an jerk co-worker who knew I played drums.. by far my best score

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
Ummm...and I thought my son got a very good deal when he bought a Gretsch burgundy sparkle RB kit (20, 12, 13, 16 toms) last year for $500 (before the bottom fell off and the economy went to shits, tho)...but for that amount of money he also got a pre-serial Luddy silver sparkle 13 piccolo snare drum and a 14 floor tom, '60s Paiste 2002 and Zildjian A 20" rides, 18" Zildjian A crash, '50s Zildjian 15" crash (made in Istanbul, Turkey), pair of 14" Zynn hats, Speed King pedal, both Ludwig and Gretsch stands, a roll-away hard fiber case...plus a boat load of other percussion related items... :(

-elcid

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Champagne Sparkle Slingerland Jet Set in the 12/14 tom sizes-18" bass drum and COB Krupa snare for $100 at a thrift store 4 years ago.

A 1956 Slingerland Gene Krupa 1-N Ensemble kit (9x13--16x16--14x22--Clam Shell matching snare) in Blue Sparkle for $200 on Craig's List. The Kit came with an almost-matching second 9x13 that I swapped for the various hardware widgits needed to restore the kit to it's original glory. There was a mid 60's Slingy double tom mount in the center of the bass drum. Rather than remove it to have five holes to deal with, I am using this mounting bracket for a cowbell mount.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
1970's Slingerland purple sparkle: 22,22,12,13,14,16,18, chrome snare,hardware and full set of zildjians for $400.00

Drum in my avatar came from an auction: 1937 lyre badge wfl twin for $55.00!

WMP jazzfest for $20.oo from an auction once.

Had a 1963 22,13,16 Ludwig Silver sparkle that had some zildjians including a 22" K. Istanbul. Got the lot for $600.00

WFL 5x13 at a yard sale for $10.00.

Lots of deals over the almost 20 years of collecting. Harder to find stuff nowadays.

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Gretsch BB kit with period correct hardware, K Istanbul cymbals and hats, matching Star bongos, original owner for $300.00. I called on the newspaper ad and the seller gave me all kinds of wrong sizes and info. I thought it might have been a wild goose chase and I lucked out. My jaw almost dropped when I walked into the house and saw the kit. I paid him his asking price and drove away like a bandit. :D

FMDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had a few good finds over the years, but most of them were freebies from local schools... for instance:

A 1967 Supraphonic I snagged that was being readied for the dumpster at a local High School (none of the kids in school wanted this "old junk")

Same thing for a 1969 Super Sensitive I got from the same High School one year later... this one had been sitting in a closet under a load of old musical props for approximately 17 years...they wanted to toss it also

When walking my dog past the local grammar school about 5 years ago, I noticed what looked like the top of a bass drum sitting in a dumpster...it turned out to be a Ludwig Standard (3 piece) in Ruby Strata. I called my wife to bring down the SUV, and I went dumpster diving... after clean-up the kit turned out to be just fine. I found out later this was purchased in 1971, but had been sitting unused since 1976 in a closet at the school...therefore, out to the dumpster it went.

The only vintage item I've paid for that I snagged for a decent price is a 1959-ish Super Krupa in BDP with clamshell strainer on eBay. It must have flown under the radar, because it was only listed as an "old Slingerland Snare"... I was the only bidder at $129.

Latest posts