You shoot, you score! Best Vintage finds?

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
lossforgain said:
Definitely the Rogers kit I got today!
13/16/22/matching wood Powertone 5x14
Champagne sparkle, flat grey Clevelands with close serials
3 or 4 small parts missing and one rering that needs glue

...in exchange for a new set of Ludwig Elements yet to be delivered.

Nice deal for you and I'm sure the other guy will be more than happy with his new Ludwig kit!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Stixnergard2 said:
lossforgain said:
Definitely the Rogers kit I got today!
13/16/22/matching wood Powertone 5x14
Champagne sparkle, flat grey Clevelands with close serials
3 or 4 small parts missing and one rering that needs glue

...in exchange for a new set of Ludwig Elements yet to be delivered.

Nice deal for you and I'm sure the other guy will be more than happy with his new Ludwig kit!

It's a private school -- check my thread titled "I'm excited" which is about to get a pretty nice update.

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
This is probably sounding like a broken record, but I think my Gina Schock snare was a heckuva find. I won it for the reserve on ebay about a year and a half ago.

John Cermenaro, the last Rogers R&D manager, hand built it in 1983 for Gina Schock of the Go Gos, who was an endorser. It is the only coliseum snare ever built by Rogers, and the only snare they ever made in tobacco sunburst.

It garnered little interest on eBay, as its provenance was questionable--It never had a Rogers badge on it--and the seller didn't spend a lot of time validating the questions asked about it. I took a risk and won it. Inside is an inscription from John C. I Googled him, contacted him, and he validated the drum. I interviewed him for the Rogers Forum and was able to obtain other information on it. The drum came with a bill of sale (which I choose not to publish) from Gina to the second owner in 2004--a musical acquaintance of hers, and the person who auctioned it on ebay in 2007.

The top head has a drawing by Gina of Jane "Drain" Wiedlin, the lead guitarist. Story goes that they had had an argument, and Gina drew her picture on the head so that she could "beat" her.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I guess my best find was a Rogers set that was set out on the curb for the trash. It was a rainy Saturday and I was working when I happened to drive by a pile of WMP drum shells set out alongside bags of garbage. I whipped a U turn and pulled up beside them. I mmediatly I saw they were swivo era Rogers and threw them in the car. 13/14/16 and 2 24's. The badges, lugs, and mufflers were all there but the rest of the hardware was missing. The wrap was cracked in several places. This set has been on the back burner for years but I have collected some of the missing parts. I'm hoping to rewrap them in the near future and bring them back to life....free is always good.

I got a good portion of my first Ringo set for $200...also a great deal, although I've since spent a lot more $ to flesh it out correctly.

Oh, and I got a WMP club date 20 and 12 for $50 a month or so ago at a thrift store :) .

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i think that salvation army score gives us all hope.wow. :shock:

mike

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
mlayton said:

mike

You got that right, Mike. How long ago was that, ndg?

anthonyfossaluzza

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
red vistalites 12, 13, 16, 22 $400 from my friend who lost interest in them,
ludwig citrus mods 12, 13, 16, 22 $250 plus several bottles of goop off, from musicgoround
blue sparkle keystone ludwigs 13, 16, 22, traded for a moserite copy and a solid state leslie from a friend who got them for $250 at an antique mall
1 keystone supra $130, 1 b/o supra $130 from musicgoround
wmp late 50's slingerland bd 22", $100 from craigslist

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
anthonyfossaluzza said:
if your interested in my recent non-drum scores

leslie 122 from craigslist, the bottom was rotted off and the guy couldn't test it. $340, then a 30 dollar wood job and a 3 potentiometer from radio shack. crazy!

fender "the twin" for $275 great price for a pretty sweet amp.

Nice score on the twin. That's a helluva sounding amp.

I just scored a Mackie CR-1604VLZ (in perfect working condition) for $50. :occasion5: That board sells new for $899-1000 and used $400-500 is still a great deal. I called the guy thinking FOR SURE he left a "0" off the end of $500. Nope. He wanted $50. :D

I do love me some Craigslist morons!! :lol:

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
$250 from craigslist including Krupa COB snare, zildjian ping ride, crash and hats.

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
$75 craigslist (guy I bought it from said he found it at a yard sale for $3).

nicedrumsguy

Reaction score
lossforgain said:
mlayton said:

mike

You got that right, Mike. How long ago was that, ndg?
This was in the summer of 2007.
She was just sitting on the front counter at the local Sally.
It is wrong, so very wrong.

drmhed

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig Super 400. Local Craigslist....$50.

ERWinner

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
anthonyfossaluzza said:
leslie 122 from craigslist, the bottom was rotted off and the guy couldn't test it. $340, then a 30 dollar wood job and a 3 potentiometer from radio shack. crazy!

Aww man! I need a Leslie SOOOO bad! I picked up a like new '64 A102 and a decent '59 M3 with a PR20, but 122 or 147 or 31h just aren't around here!

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So the best thing to do is keep your eyes open any place they sell old crummy stuff! And in that, you can find a diamond in the rough.