You shoot, you score! Best Vintage finds?

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
JayT said:
So the best thing to do is keep your eyes open any place they sell old crummy stuff! And in that, you can find a diamond in the rough.

A lot of luck is involved, but you can make your own luck by being in a position where you are the only one likely to recognize the diamond in the rough.

I scored big once several years ago and have since been looking to duplicate that score. I enjoy the chase.

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
KCDrum,

How about a drum mat for an throw rug? :)

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier I got a '67 wmp club date bass and tom at a thrift store for $50 a few weeks back. In that situation it's all about being in the right place at the right time. They had set the drums out less than an hour before I walked in...I'm guessing that if I had walked in another hour later they would have already been gone. Nowadays you're not just competing with other drummers on such finds but also with the numerous people who travel from thrift store to thrift store snatching up anything they think has value so they can list it on ebay.

Actually I'm surprised that the Salvation army didn't list it on their own auction site (adding yet another level of competition for these "finds")...but these drums were so filthy dirty (although beautiful underneath the grime) they may have not realized what they had.

other finds I've lucked out on over the years...I got a 20's Ludwig NOB 8 lug Pioneer for $5 at a flea market a few years back. I found an 1123-1 Hi hat with 60's 12" Zildjians at the Salvation Army for $12. I bought a red sparkle set at an auction once for $35, the bass and small tom were Kents but the matching snare was a Jazz Fest and the floor tom a 14 x 14 Slingerland. I got a 60's green sparkle Slingerland "Hollywood Ace" snare for $25 at a yard sale.

Haven't found that $75 black beauty yet though :(

Rizzyk83

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember when you posted about the $75 Engraved BB salvation army find. After I changed my underwear I tried to forget about the whole thing and did so successfully untill now... Thanks for bringing it up... Off to change again.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
30.00 second hand shop......it actually had alot of 24k gold on it when I got it but a couple hundred gigs later......

madchops82

DFO Master
Reaction score
Awesome thread. I've gotten some great deals and I can't wait until that feeling comes again. Buddy of mine sold me a Super Ludwig 7x14 and some misc perc. items for 250 a few years back. I love the 75$ Sals boutique Beauty. I hope these deals never end. God bless vintage drums.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
My problem is (aside from cash flow) is space and having addt'l cash for heads for any new set/drum I could pick up. I've only ever bought one set/drum that had playable heads. Anyways, in my short career of finding "deals", here are my accomplishments:

8-piece Tama Superstars (mahogany) with two Titan double-tom stands and a tom post (set included a 6" concert tom which typically sell on Ebay for $150-$200) - ~$500 on CL
4-piece Premier XPK's with wrap literally coming off the shells, tom post and brand new DW reso head - net price after selling a few parts is $40 on CL
70's Acro, all original (except snare cord), even heads, with stand, case and practice pad - net price after selling a few parts is $35 from pawn shop
9-piece Tama Superstars (mahogany) with two tom post - ~$600 on CL

bermuda

Pro
Reaction score
A few years ago in Phoenix, I was in a pawnshop and spotted a 5" Supra with a UFO case, stand & Gladstone pad. It was dead clean (except for a name etched near the badge) and had a pre-serial badge. I couldn't tell for sure right there if it was really a brass drum, but at $105, who cares?! So I grabbed it, took it home, and did 'the test'.

Needless to say, it was brass, with COB hoops of course, and just crazy clean. Definitely the best score of my life so far.

Bermuda

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two more recent scores:

1. Ludwig Keystone Acrolite, 1968, with case and stand - Goodwill $88

2. Ludwig Keystone Jazzfest 1963 Champagne Sparkle underneath blue paint,
Gretsch Round Badge 9x13, no label, Silver Sparkle underneath blue paint,
Zildjian 21" Rock Ride, 70s vintage,
3 Piece TrueTone Japanese set in blue sparkle (the reason the other drums were painted blue),
UFIP High Hats, miscellaneous stands, throne, pedal..

Craigslist - All for $50

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bought for the opening bid on that auction site. Had to ask for a shipping quote the day before because it was for local pick up prefered. Wanted that crazy bar across the bass drum because in all my years I've had a lot of Rogers but never a Wonderbar. Front Rogers logo head art helped too. Shows up yest. just wrapped in cardborad around each drum in the original canvas bags-logo heads all around never taken apart. 6 lug typed tag Holiday snare-freak. told them to keep large square trap case to keep their shipping costs down. Upon arrival I saw the handle sticking out of the cardboard wrapped around the case. Snare under the top tray with the hardware rattling around with the cymbals stuck in the side pocket jingglin. No packing on anything. Pulled the ride out and it was a 21 5/8 old K. Swiss made Paiste cow bell too. Almost fell to the ground. Flush in the face with wow. Disassembled the drums for the first time last night to wipe them down today. Room smelled like Rogers all night. If they bottled it I'd spray it on. Woke up early excieted to get to cleaning and saw on IFC The legend of 1900. It will be on again later today. I have a name from the initials on the front head by asking the seller and am waiting back to hear more about him. It has to stay with the 4pc red. The storys are the best and carry on...Peace, Gary

torydrum

One of the old farts...
Reaction score
I've posted these before, but what the heck.

'61 Red glass 13/16/22 with matching solid shell Krupa. One lousy picture, no description other than "red drums", local pick-up only, $150.00 BIN on ebay. Drove 1.5 hours from CT to NJ to pick them up. Couldn't load them fast enough.

[attachment=1]IMG_0239 (3).JPG[/attachment]
View attachment 23085

My Krupa score:

Listed on local Craig's List for $300 OBO. I caught the listing within minutes of it being posted---lucky break for a change. I was at the guy's house within the hour with $300 in my pocket. I pointed out the crusty dirt, the missing bass drum reso hoop, missing rail and after market double tom mount, non matching extra 9x13 tom, missing clamshell strainer part. I offered $200. The man helped me take them out to my car. I did not want the crusty stands. He said that he would just throw them away....OK..I'll take the rusty Buck Rogers snare stand for free. I traded off the extra 60's 9x13 for most of the original parts ( hoop, inlay, rail and cymbal brackets) that I needed to complete the restoration. They cleaned up easily and nicely. I invested another $100 to rebuild the clamshell strainer with parts made by Jim Petty. This kit is 80% collector's quality and 20% player's quality/. I know....any modification destroys all collector's value. But, that early 1960's tom mount works beautifully as a cowbell mount. All original holes now have the original equipment mounted using the holes for them, and the extra tom mount is now a cowbell mount.

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
I've had a few but I think this is probably my best find. I got a tip from my guitar playing cousin that a swirly Slingerland snare is sitting on the floor of a rural music store. I went out the next day to find it sitting where it had been for a week in this very condition. It was so clean, I thought it was a fake. After I determined it was real, the lady told me it was a consignment piece and the seller was FIRM.
$125 plus tax! My hands were shaking as I counted out the cash.

I enjoyed it and displayed it on my shelf for 5 yrs and decided to pass it on. It now has a good home.

Dave View attachment 23091

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
GrandpaCleve said:
Bought for the opening bid on that auction site. Had to ask for a shipping quote the day before because it was for local pick up prefered. Wanted that crazy bar across the bass drum because in all my years I've had a lot of Rogers but never a Wonderbar. Front Rogers logo head art helped too. Shows up yest. just wrapped in cardborad around each drum in the original canvas bags-logo heads all around never taken apart. 6 lug typed tag Holiday snare-freak. told them to keep large square trap case to keep their shipping costs down. Upon arrival I saw the handle sticking out of the cardboard wrapped around the case. Snare under the top tray with the hardware rattling around with the cymbals stuck in the side pocket jingglin. No packing on anything. Pulled the ride out and it was a 21 5/8 old K. Swiss made Paiste cow bell too. Almost fell to the ground. Flush in the face with wow. Disassembled the drums for the first time last night to wipe them down today. Room smelled like Rogers all night. If they bottled it I'd spray it on. Woke up early excieted to get to cleaning and saw on IFC The legend of 1900. It will be on again later today. I have a name from the initials on the front head by asking the seller and am waiting back to hear more about him. It has to stay with the 4pc red. The storys are the best and carry on...Peace, Gary
Holy red sparkle, 14 x 14, turkish K batman! Nice old Ludwig HH with that set too. He shoots, he scores...

Some of my all time favorites...
Round badge Gretsch 20, 12, 14, 16, snare midnight blue, with a stack of A zildjians, Gretsch stands, a complete set of Ludwig Atlas stands, cases and accs. $200. I didn't try to talk the seller down.
Stack of old snares and basses 20s Ludwigs, Duplex, Barry at least 4 snares and three bass drums, all in nice shape, $100.
Ebay BIN 5 x 14 and matching bass drum 1920s Leedy complete two piece set in BLACK ONYX with "stuff" in near mint cond. $500
Late '20s Ludwig and Ludwig COB 10 lug 5 x 14 $25 at a flea market.
Ah, the good old days...

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Other than my $300.00 gretstch RB kit with K Istanbuls, this was a case of being in the right place at the right time. I was at my local bike shop telling the owner about my Bb kit score and a guy heard us talking. He asks if I was interested in buying a used drum kit. I replied sure what do you have. His response was, I have a old Yamaha set with a few pieces of hardware. I asked, do you have a snare? He replied, I have a chrome snare I could throw in with the deal. He quoted me $200.00 for everything. I get his phone number and make arrangements not expecting a score but my bass player wanted a kit for his 11 yr old son so OK.
I end up driving home with a beautiful Yamaha Tour Custom kit 18,12,14, a mint B/O badge Supra, 2 Yamaha boom arms, 3 Ludwig Modular cymbal stands, A pile of new and used heads, misc new sticks and brushes. Everything was in great shape and I enjoyed the Yamies for a few years and sold them at a huge profit and used the cash for other vintage drums. I still have the Supra and hardware but to this day,I regret selling off the Yammies.
It's been so long I almost forgot, there was matching 12x14 tom with the kit I sold off on Ebay for $175.00 to offset the cost.

Vistaliter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not incredible, but the vistalite in my avatar was a good find.

I purchased a tom from a seller on Amazon. He asked if I wanted any other vistalites. Even though the bass drum was cracked, I purchased the red/clear spiral 24/13/14/18 for $400.00 shipped. He was psyched to sell them & I was a bit cheery myself. :)

Rogersoholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
It was the most money I ever paid for a drum set, 1100 shipped. Cleveland 18/14/12 w/ 61 dynasonic. To my knowledge, its the only 18" bass known of in this color.

hutdoug

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got home with this. Craigslist, Huntington IN. $70. Stamped AUG 30 1965 in red. That's my son's birthday only he was born in 1987. Should look good when I get it cleaned up.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
tri-ply,
thats a beautiful kit. rare in those sizes for certain. very nice.

nice score on the duco nickel pioneer there hutdoug. that looks like it will clean up nice. what kinda case is that its in?

mike