You shoot, you score! Best Vintage finds?

Good garage sale score this morning! Acro, late 70's early 80's, still in case, excellent condition. 10 bills! I can't pass up an Acro that cheap!

Chris

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
You Indiana guys live in school band heaven. There are probably thousands of snare drums under beds and in closets still there..... :?

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
tri_ply said:
It was the most money I ever paid for a drum set, 1100 shipped. Cleveland 18/14/12 w/ 61 dynasonic. To my knowledge, its the only 18" bass known of in this color.
Tri-Ply, that's flat the best deal for any drums I've ever heard of! Good on ya! I think those would be the 3 ply Kellers also, correct?

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
cpj83 said:
Good garage sale score this morning! Acro, late 70's early 80's, still in case, excellent condition. 10 bills! I can't pass up an Acro that cheap!

Chris
well done chris.cant go wrong with that. :D

mike

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
jptrickster said:
30.00 second hand shop......it actually had alot of 24k gold on it when I got it but a couple hundred gigs later......
$30.00? Wow!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

That beautiful engraved dish would go extremely well with our burgundy sparkle Gretsch RB kit, you know!... :wink:

-elcid

grumpy409

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone, I just bought a 1962 (according to the original owner] a 9x13 and 14x22 Ludwig tom and base drum. Both drums are missing the resonite heads and hoops. Major fade of the red sparkle on the tom and base drum. Both drums are for sale. Contact at grumpy409115@aol.com.

Brian of Niles

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am a night owl but I got up early this morning and went to this huge flea market by my house, bought some fun stuff, vinyl, set of lawn jarts never opened(I have been lookin for a nice set of these), and when I was walking out I saw a tom sticking out of a box. It was a 12" black panther tom that was stamped 1969 and the box also was filled with 60's ludwig parts that I bought for eleven bucks.
also on tuesday I went to this weird jewelry store close to oak lawn Il. and bought a bunch of random vintage drums, cymbals, and pats from them. A couple of the nice things were a solid shell 60's artist snare, a 50's 6 1/2 wfl snare,60's supperphonic, a 13inch 50's K hihatt some really nice thin a's and some other nice goodies for a great price. This thread popped up again so there are my resent scores keep them coming. Brian

TommyWells said:
You Indiana guys live in school band heaven. There are probably thousands of snare drums under beds and in closets still there..... :?
I've got to start shopping in the more affluent parts of town...gotta find all those school band Supras that the rich kids used! :lol:

Chris

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Brian of Niles said:
I am a night owl but I got up early this morning and went to this huge flea market by my house, bought some fun stuff, vinyl, set of lawn jarts never opened(I have been lookin for a nice set of these), and when I was walking out I saw a tom sticking out of a box. It was a 12" black panther tom that was stamped 1969 and the box also was filled with 60's ludwig parts that I bought for eleven bucks.
also on tuesday I went to this weird jewelry store close to oak lawn Il. and bought a bunch of random vintage drums, cymbals, and pats from them. A couple of the nice things were a solid shell 60's artist snare, a 50's 6 1/2 wfl snare,60's supperphonic, a 13inch 50's K hihatt some really nice thin a's and some other nice goodies for a great price. This thread popped up again so there are my resent scores keep them coming. Brian
great score. thats a heap of nice stuff to say the least. remember the black planther thread? check under that wrap if possible to make sure its not an original mod orange or was it citrus mod? it was one or the other that was underneath a lot of black panthers. could be a jewel...

mike

Brian of Niles

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike I was thinking about that, I can't see under the leather at all so I was thinking about taking a lug off and try and making a very small slit, and if it is not then I can just give it a little repair and put the lug back on. There are two cymbals in the first score that I was going to make a thread about in the cymbal section. The 13' k and also there was a very nice set of 13" a's hihatts that could not get any thinner.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
wow. those are beautiful. very nice.

mike

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
4164SB said:
Less than $300 w/o the snare, which cost me more than the set!
If you EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER want to sell those, you best call me first. :D :) 8)

NashvilleGull

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I scored my smoke Vistalites at a used shop I was working at in 1993. I got a vigin 26x16, 12/13/14/15 concerts, 16x16 and 16x18 double headed FT's and a 6-1/2" Supra. Traded 'em EVEN for a white set of used Pearl Exports. They came from a church down in southeast Alabama, and they were proud to get the Pearls. Gave the store owner the $200 he had in the Exports and let him keep the Supra for the profit..

I wouldn't trade the Vistas for any other kit I've ever owned or played.

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
AgDrumma07 said:
4164SB said:
Less than $300 w/o the snare, which cost me more than the set!
If you EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER want to sell those, you best call me first. :D :) 8)
Aren't those the most beautiful looking "bop" drums you ever seen? :love6: :drunken: And didn't buy a new kit in '83 when they were available--arghhhh!!!... :cry: :blackeye:

-elcid

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wonder...is it possible that, of all the musical instruments, drums are the ones most likely to be unceremoniously dumped or sold at bargain-basement prices because of the noise they make? They take up a ton of room. They can't be moved easily, they usually can't be used in apartments. Parents hate 'em. People who don't learn to play 'em only make annoying noise with 'em. People who learn to play 'em STILL make lots of noise with 'em. I figure many a parent or wife or girlfriend pressed to have their significant other unload their drums as fast as possible. Food for thought...

I think nearly all of my drum & cymbal purchases--mostly eBay but also MusicGoRound.com--are decent deals. Though my best score isn't vintage, it still brings a smile to my face every time I see a 4-piece Sonor Delite kit, without even a matching snare, selling for $4000 plus. My 5-piece with matching rare 14 x 6" snare was $1499 at MusicGoRound.

It was totally a matter of being at the right place at the right time. I wasn't even looking for a new kit, I only had my Force 3005 kit a few months and was looking for a 16" floor tom for it, when the MusicGoRound search for "sonor" turned up the Delites. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, even on eBay at the time (before the recession), 4-piece Delites were going for $3000 or more. It didn't take me long to bite the financial bullet, get out the credit card and pull the trigger. :rolleyes:

donthedrummer

Reaction score
Saskatoon, Sask, Canada/Land Where a Man Cannot Le

Latest posts