You shoot, you score! Best Vintage finds?

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder...is it possible that, of all the musical instruments, drums are the ones most likely to be unceremoniously dumped or sold at bargain-basement prices because of the noise they make? They take up a ton of room. They can't be moved easily, they usually can't be used in apartments. Parents hate 'em. People who don't learn to play 'em only make annoying noise with 'em. People who learn to play 'em STILL make lots of noise with 'em. I figure many a parent or wife or girlfriend pressed to have their significant other unload their drums as fast as possible. Food for thought...
Coe:

I think you may be right about this. No idea what they have. (Then you turn around and see that some parent is selling a "barely used, almost new" CB700 or other such nonsense for the retail price they paid for it because little Timmy or Janey gave up the lessons to go smoke crack or something).

And the schools dumping gear because it has been in a closet for x years really lights my rockets when the schools then cry they have no money or need more of the tax dollars....oh man, don't get me started there....

Back to the regularly scheduled program....

Rogersoholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
My last score was just that.. No room.. The guy and his wife live in a small house/apt and the wife needs the room. So out goes that old 68 Rogers red sparkle Londoner w/hardware and wood powertone to that guy who buys Rogers drums. He can have them cheap if he buys them now said the wife. I said SOLD. I can pack away 40+ guitars in the space my Rogers studio ten takes up when set up. Divorce can bring on a quick low priced sale too.. and you cant take em with you either when, well.... you know.

Drumbum3131

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Might be speaking to soon. But, I've found a jazzette for $150(18 Bass,12 Tom,14 Floor-Tom,16 Floor-Tom) with a 14 inch snare in gold sparkle. It's a drive...but, I'll see if I have enough time to go get it before someone else does.

Tanco

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I live in Europe and the best deals i found in my own country:

SlingerLeedy 22,13,16 with matching snare in gold satin flame for 200$(europe)
Ludwig BDP 60s: 20,13,16 with supra original hardware, original heads and cases mint, with old K hihats, crash and old A ride: 500$(europe)
Ludwig B/O 14x6.5 black beauty 180$
Leedy 30s solid walnut snare:26$ (Ebay)
b/o LM402 NOS in plastic bag 160$ (Ebay)

Years ago, i believe it was easyer then.

Den

DFO Master
Reaction score
My first kit (bass snare ride tom and floor tom with Zildjian hats & Ludwig hat stand) was $20.00. My most recent steel was a Rogers big R COB for $3.00 found in a barn sale. All cleaned up sitting in a gig bag just waiting for a good deal on a snare bridge to complete this score. I will sell it for a decent price to someone that has that snare bridge, unless they want to sell the bridge!

Still on the hunt...always!

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Years ago, I made my best score on what is still my best snare drum. A 1928 5x14, 10 lug engraved Ludwig black beauty. $50. :occasion5:

VirCotto

Forum Dork
Reaction score
Teak ´68 20-13-16 ASBA kit, hardly played, original heads all around, original cases (the bass drum case also included two 50´s A Zildjian crashes). €300.

That's all. Over here we have no vintage US-made drum stuff lying around.

Cheers,
Simo

TheCircus

Reaction score

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Way back in the beginning, over 10 years ago, an older guy at the Pennsy show tells me he has an old kit in Delaware, but I have to go pick it up. So, the next weekend, I drive from the Jersey Shore to Delaware to get them. Less than a 3 hour drive. $250.

It was a 20-12-14 Rogers kit with matching Holiday snare in Sky Blue Ripple. Even the tom arm was there. No cracks in the wrap, and only a few cracked b&b lugs. He was as thrilled to get the money and not have to carry them as I was to put them in my trunk. They were dirty, but still had the original heads all around, top and bottom. The bottoms still looked good. Minor fade for a nearly 40 year old kit.

I cleaned them up, kept them for a while, and then sold them for many times what I paid for them. That kit really started my passion going when I saw how beautifully made they were after taking them apart, and snowballed into a lot of other deals along the way.

Artpop

Reaction score
Might be speaking to soon. But, I've found a jazzette for $150(18 Bass,12 Tom,14 Floor-Tom,16 Floor-Tom) with a 14 inch snare in gold sparkle. It's a drive...but, I'll see if I have enough time to go get it before someone else does.
If you pass on it, let me know! I'll drive there for sure! :icon_smile:

Drumbum3131

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Will do... just hard for me to take the time out to go get them.(Hopefully if I don't drive, I will have them shipped). They are located in oregan. So,it's going to be pretty hard.

If you pass on it, let me know! I'll drive there for sure! :icon_smile:

Artpop

Reaction score
Will do... just hard for me to take the time out to go get them.(Hopefully if I don't drive, I will have them shipped). They are located in oregan. So,it's going to be pretty hard.

Oregon? Yikes! I'm in Chicago... guess I WON'T be driving there!

Latest posts