You think A&F has the steampunk market cornered?

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Comes complete with a "Jasperator" and "Finnigan pins" no doubt!!!
I guess you can file that under, "if you can dream it, we can make it?"

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wtf is "steampunk"?
from Wiki
Steampunk is a retrofuturistic subgenre of science fiction or science fantasy that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery.[1][2] Although its literary origins are sometimes associated with the cyberpunk genre,[3] steampunk works are often set in an alternative history of the 19th century British Victorian era or the American "Wild West", in a future during which steam power has maintained mainstream usage, or in a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power. However, steampunk and neo-Victorian are different in that the neo-Victorian movement does not extrapolate on technology while technology is a key aspect of steampunk.[4]

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wtf is "steampunk"?
steam·punk
/ˈstēmˌpəNGk/

noun
  • a genre of science fiction that has a historical setting and typically features steam-powered machinery rather than advanced technology."if you like steampunk, this is a great book for you"
  • a style of design and fashion that combines historical elements with anachronistic technological features inspired by science fiction. "the essence of steampunk is homage to vintage fashion with a modern, sassy twist"

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Where I reside it is the elder members of the artist community that seem to love steam punk. They dress up and everything. Quite a sight.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Umm...what? :-?
I was exaggerating, but very prominent in several of his hits. Alice in Wonderland, Edward Scissorhands, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sleepy Hollow, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street...

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was exaggerating, but very prominent in several of his hits. Alice in Wonderland, Edward Scissorhands, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sleepy Hollow, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street...
Hmmm...you have extremely broad idea of steampunk, which in reality is pretty narrow sci-fi subgenre, and visually quite specific.
For instace, what elements in Edward Scissorhands, Alice in Wonderland or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are steampunk? None in my opinion. Maybe the strong fantasy visuals in them throw you off.

But steampunk looks more like films The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Van Helsing, Hellboy-films or Sleepy Hollow (that you mentioned).
But saying virtually every Tim Burton is steampunk is bit like saying that every Alfred Hitchcock film is about birds.

Edit: some movie analysis seen to find steampunk influence in the visuals of Edward the Scissorhands, which I find off since to me it's so purely gothic. Oh well...

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hmmm...you have extremely broad idea of steampunk, which in reality is pretty narrow sci-fi subgenre, and visually quite specific.
For instace, what elements in Edward Scissorhands, Alice in Wonderland or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are steampunk? None in my opinion. Maybe the strong fantasy visuals in them throw you off.

But steampunk looks more like films The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Van Helsing, Hellboy-films or Sleepy Hollow (that you mentioned).
But saying virtually every Tim Burton is steampunk is bit like saying that every Alfred Hitchcock film is about birds.
I'll bow to your expertise on the subject. No horse in this race for me.

Latest posts