You want me to supply the whole kit?

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I,ve been asked to do this for a local bar that wants to start weekly jams on the weekends, and leave the kit there for the winter. Im talking everything except sticks. Not worried about that because im sure most of them don't know what brushes are anyway. He,s asking me as a favor, and in return I can eat there for free, and its pretty good...I think I know what most of you will say, but I,d love to hear it.

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beater kit is definitely the way to go. I play at a bar jam occasionally where there's a house kit that is totally beat to crap (the snares are held to the bottom head with two pieces of duct tape).

Stickclick

Reaction score
Well if you play there often and like the food, keep watching craigslist for a good kit to buy for the bar.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What's a typical bar meal...$15 or $20? You can pay back your $100 beater kit in 5 visits.

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As others have said a beater kit would be a good choice. If not definitely get lower end cymbals. Food is great for a exchange/payment but what about maintenance. Heads, cracked cymbals, lugs, etc. That comes out of your pocket. :oops:

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t do it because I’ve got too many other things going on. But someone else would and that’s great!

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thx for the great feedback. So, this is the thing. I have no plans on hosting this jam night or playing. Im a retired player having spent years touring in show bands, R&B bands, country swing, tribute shows etc, so this type of thing will be more for the younger rockier guys. The club owner is a good friend and knows of my drum addiction, so I do have enough orphan gear/cymbals/ hardware etc that I can "donate" I am responsible for replacing broken heads, cymbal stands..whatever, and I have more, and that's ok....The important thing is the FOOD!. My only concern will be how to shed those extra pounds!!

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Given the above explanation, why not ? Food is cheaper than his menu prices so he is getting a bargain but from what I read you are less concerned about getting anything and more concerned in helping a friend and local musicians - which is commendable.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not only are you getting free food you are saving countless Canadians from schlepping their precious drums out in weather not fit for yetis. Well, unless you are over there on the left coast (weather fit for ducks).

thejohnlec

Reaction score
My only issue is that burgers and salads won’t pay for the broken gear that you’ll be responsible for. Otherwise, props to you for wanting to help. Hopefully the drum fam that will be taking advantage of the gear will do so respectfully!

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tell him what he'll pay if it's damaged. I would think he may consider something else. I just don't trust people. Some drunk idiot walking up there on a Wednesday and knocking everything over. Nah

Latest posts