Your BEST Cymbal?

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That thing does sound great. Dug the tune, too.
Thanks, jb. The ride is nice and dry, or maybe semi-dry, and it has a lot of depth and complexity. Matt calls this one of his "old K style" cymbals. And when Matt decides to make a cymbal that sounds like an old K, he generally knocks it out of the park.

Here's the set up for the session late last year out on the basketball court in the backyard.
birdseye outdoor.jpg

jb111

Reaction score
As dumb as it sounds, I do love all of my cymbals. Which is why it's hard to sell some of them, but an upcoming move makes it necessary. Though, considering the source (RIP), not sure I'd be able to let this Skiba go:

skiba1.jpg

jb111

Reaction score
Thanks, jb. The ride is nice and dry, or maybe semi-dry, and it has a lot of depth and complexity. Matt calls this one of his "old K style" cymbals. And when Matt decides to make a cymbal that sounds like an old K, he generally knocks it out of the park.

Here's the set up for the session late last year out on the basketball court in the backyard.
View attachment 493031
Cool to see the setup; I wondered about that. Nice full sound, especially for outdoors.

Reactions: TPC

egw

Reaction score
I don't know which one is "best" but if I have to choose just one to be buried with, it would be this Grand Master Paper Thin Ride. 1650g, bought it new at Manny's on 48th St in 1999. Went through stacks and stacks of them. This one really has some magic in it.
HORIZON_0001_BURST20210404090632038_COVER.JPG
DSC_0144.JPG

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
24" Block Stamp, 3600g. This thing is SO soft and mellow. This isn't one of the stiff and "hot" sounding Block Stamps. It's bendy, with a loose soft stick feel and an emphasis on the lows. The medium weight gives it some definition, but it's certainly not pingy. It blends beautifully with my 18" OS Istanbul K.

And yes, that is a giant key hole peaking out at the 6:00 mark on the bell.

IMG_4521.jpg

Last edited:

Pink69

Reaction score
Block stamps seem to be underrated and very under priced. Great sounding nonetheless.

Pink69

Reaction score
I think if people played them they would like the sounds. The ones I have tried had bells that were loud, clear, and musical. I am biased though as I like A’s from the 40’s through the 60’s.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
The last one i got is a 20" Bosphorus Traditionals. But as said above the cymbal I'm playing is the best one. The nice thing about cymbals is what they do for you.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My 20” 2K2 Heavy Jazz Hands ride, along with my 26” Giant Beat, my PSTX Swiss Crash (Colorsound and naked version), my Priester Giga Bell, maybe my Earth Ride or any of my Sabians. I have so many great ones. I can’t name one. I have a wealth of great cymbals. My 602 hats will go to the crematorium with me, however. The nicest pair of hats EVER. They LITERALLY sound good with ANY of my sets.

swayed1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ll let others chime in on a year (bc I can’t remember) but I believe this K PADLR Is going on 30 years old - crazy! No laser serial number. I’ve been told these were called the old “Charlie Special” and were originally (possibly) based off of some old vintage Z paper thins. She has a complex dark wash, moderate amount of hammering and bow, large bell and weighs a svelte 2278 grams. Not the lightest 22 but it’s the lightest PADLR 22” I’ve seen. She has seen a lot of stand time during the pandemic and she is a buttery joy to play. Is it my best cymbal? It is today

Attachments

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My favorite cymbal is a 21" Bosphorus Turk Flat ride - buttery stick feel and definition and a great jazz cymbal for my acoustic trio gigs. Best of all it was gifted by a buddy drummer after I had it on loan for a few years .... :) The pic is not of my cymbal which lost its logo years ago ...but is the same model

hhcmisjwrnisjnsytym2.jpg