Your BEST Cymbal?

Brainofj

Reaction score
HHX 16” Power Crash. It’s everything I’ve ever wanted out of a crash. The one cymbal I’ve never had a single urge to replace. Awesome tone, perfect sustain, great live and on mixes. I think mine is 15 years old or so :blush:

Reactions: TPC

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't like to state something to be the best, but I've been using my Lauritsen BSC as my main ride most of the time for almost 10 years, so I could say it's my favorite.

My beast cymbal, on the other hand, is my 1628-g 22" Bettis ;-)

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Early my 22" Paiste Masters Swish. It's the sweetest cymbal I have ever played, and I use it for everything. It doesn't take much to open it up, so I tend to play it with a light touch. It's perfect for those Texas shuffles.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 14” Bettis Strong Edge hats are by far the best hats ever made. They do it all in every style.
The best crash ever made is my 18” K Dark Thin crash.There is no style is doesn’t sound fantastic with.
I’m still searching for the perfect ride, but my current fave is a 21” K Sweet.

Reaction score
This bears being repeated again but best for me is contextual as in describing the best tool to accomplish a specific job.
That being said my favorite best cymbal is the Istanbul Agop Matt Chamberlain Signature Ride (2nd generation Turk model).
It took me over four years of searching to find the precise weight that spoke to me. It was a Holy Grail moment when I finally found it.
This cymbal always puts a smile on my face. No matter how I rotate different cymbal setups, this one is always included. It's my anchor.

MattChamberlain23InchRideLoRes.jpg

itsjjp

Reaction score
The Stagg 22" Classic Flat Ride shown here albeit obscured by other pies. I installed 3 Sabian nickel-silver split-rivets in a cluster similar to a Zildjian Beautiful Baby crash-ride, and I absolutely love it for what I do: mix of jazz, blues and funk.

main rig overhead.jpg

marc3k

Reaction score
This bears being repeated again but best for me is contextual as in describing the best tool to accomplish a specific job.
That being said my favorite best cymbal is the Istanbul Agop Matt Chamberlain Signature Ride (2nd generation Turk model).
It took me over four years of searching to find the precise weight that spoke to me. It was a Holy Grail moment when I finally found it.
This cymbal always puts a smile on my face. No matter how I rotate different cymbal setups, this one is always included. It's my anchor.

. View attachment 493434
Awesome! I understand those are 23" - so what is the weight? Have you tried the Turk Jazz series? How do they compare to them?

Parcel

Reaction score

Torquey

Reaction score
Totally different, and in no particular order:

• 30 3/8" 1960s A. Zildjian somewhat flexible at 5,896 g
  • 24 Med Thin Matt Bettis 2931 g
  • 22" Med Thin K. Zildjian (Istanbul) 2370 g

Hazim

Reaction score
Unlike others, I would vote for my Istanbul Agop Sultan 14" Crash. When it cracked after some 15 years, I was ISO for replacement for more than half a year till I realized I will never be happy with any other. (or just was not lucky enough to put my hands on any) I was lucky enough that our local delaer is a good friend of the people in Agop factory so I got my new one even though they do not normally produce this size for some years.
Another one to point out would be my 17" Ziljdiak K Dark China. Not sure why this diameter is so great, I tried many others and got back to this one.
And if we talk rides, My Sabian Artisan Vault 20" thin ride is just epic.

Reaction score
Awesome! I understand those are 23" - so what is the weight? Have you tried the Turk Jazz series? How do they compare to them?
Mine is 2885 grams. The first one I found that I actually liked was 2881 grams, but I waited too long and it sold. It took me four more years to find a second one in that weight range but it was well worth the wait in that it was even better than the first one. Even though it is dry it is not dry as a bone: it has a nice tapering sustain. Its bell has a great cutting ping (a bit brighter than I expected) without being overly harsh. Honestly these are the only two Matt Chamberlain Signatures Rides that I have actually liked.

I also have an Agop Turk 21" Jazz Ride. It is ultra thin (1240 grams) and has a nice low tone for a 21" ride. Its bell has a lower tone than the 23" MC Signature and is not as cutting. It is dry but has a nice bit of wash to it. Overall it is somewhat of a second cousin of the MC Signature Ride, similar but not the same. It's a great ride for lower volume acoustic/jazz where you want more stick definition and minimal wash and you don't need a cutting bell.

Part of the magic of Agops is you need to be diligent and patient in your search. You may luck out and find that right one that meets or exceeds your expectations. The reality is that Agops are a one-of-a-kind instrument.

EDIT: Sorry for the typo. 21" Turk is 2140 grams. Type once, read twice.

Last edited: