Your BEST Cymbal?

marc3k

Reaction score
I also have an Agop Turk 21" Jazz Ride. It is ultra thin (1240 grams) and has a nice low tone for a 21" ride. Its bell has a lower tone than the 23" MC Signature and is not as cutting. It is dry but has a nice bit of wash to it. Overall it is somewhat of a second cousin of the MC Signature Ride, similar but not the same. It's a great ride for lower volume acoustic/jazz where you want more stick definition and minimal wash and you don't need a cutting bell.
woah that is "ultra thin" indeed!

kzac

Reaction score
What is your BEST cymbal?

Mine?

View attachment 492891
View attachment 492892

22" Matt Nolan Ride. Just a joy to play.

Here's a track I recorded outside a few months back with my group using this ride.
https://soundcloud.com/tpc-soundcloud%2Fathens-jerusalem

My best cymbal is my ride cymbal ... a Sabian B8 from 25 years hence, still have it and it keeps on keepin on, right in the groove every time...... I have tried a couple of times to replace it .... but just cant find better...

Reactions: TPC

kzac

Reaction score
Oh yea forgot you guys like pictures.... Sweet B8 Ride ..... right in the middle.... excellent cymbal
IMG_3075.JPG

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
My favorite is a 18" Sabian HH thin crash--it arrived via mail on my 30th birthday (which was, ahem--nearly 14 years ago). I was curious about the HH line, and after a second or two of playing it I realized this IS IT! I've been a Sabian HH fan ever since (most of my cymbals are from this family), and I have the 18" thin to thank. So, my best cymbal (and a 'birthday cymbal').

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
21” Paiste Light Dark. Had a 20” in the aughts that I regretted letting go for a long time. They don’t come up that often anymore out in the wild. Found this 21 last year and haven’t looked back. It’s got 2 rivets installed that add just the right amount of bacon frying to the sound. When I’m not indulging my morbid curiosity with those weird a$$ Istanbul dry dark cymbals, this Light Dark ride is my main squeeze.

19168A3C-A166-45E7-9B89-D902F754805E.jpeg

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
21” Paiste Light Dark. Had a 20” in the aughts that I regretted letting go for a long time. They don’t come up that often anymore out in the wild. Found this 21 last year and haven’t looked back. It’s got 2 rivets installed that add just the right amount of bacon frying to the sound. When I’m not indulging my morbid curiosity with those weird a$$ Istanbul dry dark cymbals, this Light Dark ride is my main squeeze.

View attachment 493482
Those are remarkable, aren’t they. I love mine.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those are remarkable, aren’t they. I love mine.
Indeed. Will be 50 this year and it seems like I've only recently been able to actually identify what it is I like and want in drum and cymbal sounds. Have owned thousands of pieces of gear in the last 40+ years of drumming and I've let so many keepers go. Not this one.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Indeed. Will be 50 this year and it seems like I've only recently been able to actually identify what it is I like and want in drum and cymbal sounds. Have owned thousands of pieces of gear in the last 40+ years of drumming and I've let so many keepers go. Not this one.
I imagine that this would play quite well with the thin Trads. A drier voice, but a similar overall character?

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I imagine that this would play quite well with the thin Trads. A drier voice, but a similar overall character?
Plays well with the Masters (it really gets along with the Swish) and surprisingly also with my 19 and 20 Sig Fast crashes. I think the rivets help it play nicely with the zing of the Fast crashes. Besides the Istanbul dry dark stuff, which is really just a fun experiment on my part, the 21 Light Dark is my only ride cymbal.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just picked up my first pair of Bettis SE hats, some 15s from a fellow formite. I gotta agree, they are really spectacular in a way I have never experienced with hi hats. I had high expectations but was/am still shocked at how much I love these.

My 14” Bettis Strong Edge hats are by far the best hats ever made. They do it all in every style.
The best crash ever made is my 18” K Dark Thin crash.There is no style is doesn’t sound fantastic with.
I’m still searching for the perfect ride, but my current fave is a 21” K Sweet.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just picked up my first pair of Bettis SE hats, some 15s from a fellow formite. I gotta agree, they are really spectacular in a way I have never experienced with hi hats. I had high expectations but was/am still shocked at how much I love these.
What is it about them that is so different/special?

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well truth is, every time I try to take them off of my hi hat stand to try something else for a bit, a small blade pops out and gives me a nasty little cut. I swear it pops out of a different spot every time, but when you look at them they’re smooth as silk. Don’t know how he does it...

What is it about them that is so different/special?

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well truth is, every time I try to take them off of my hi hat stand to try something else for a bit, a small blade pops out and gives me a nasty little cut. I swear it pops out of a different spot every time, but when you look at them they’re smooth as silk. Don’t know how he does it...
A long history of sword making, no doubt.

cymbal.wiki

Reaction score
Still no best :icon_e_wink: , but my favorite Paiste set used to be

20" Trad Medium Ride
18" Trad Extra Thin
14" Trad Medium Light Hats

but now a 21" Light Dark is up in place of the 20" Trad Medium. My Medium Ride seems just about as dry as the Light Dark, but that might be my particular one. I go back and forth between them, and sometimes I change over to a 22" Medium Light Ride when I'm feeling strong enough to lift it. I'm weak and a cymbalholic. :dontknow:

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
More seriously Tom, they are extremely “polite”, not quite what you would expect...
They are fairly low volume, extremely responsive for 15s, and just have a sublime open hat slosh, no brashness to them at all. They’re not that thin, around 1100 g each. But they don’t sound or play clunky. I feel like I get out of them what I always have hoped to get out of super thin old As, but without that hollowness or mushiness one does get with exceptionally thin hi hats.

Honestly when Matt first started selling these in my head I was like “great, he finally figured out the marketing game” (don’t tell him I said that) but there really is something different about these.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally different, and in no particular order:

• 30 3/8" 1960s A. Zildjian somewhat flexible at 5,896 g
  • 24 Med Thin Matt Bettis 2931 g
  • 22" Med Thin K. Zildjian (Istanbul) 2370 g
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: