Your BEST Cymbal?

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
More seriously Tom, they are extremely “polite”, not quite what you would expect...
They are fairly low volume, extremely responsive for 15s, and just have a sublime open hat slosh, no brashness to them at all. They’re not that thin, around 1100 g each. But they don’t sound or play clunky. I feel like I get out of them what I always have hoped to get out of super thin old As, but without that hollowness or mushiness one does get with exceptionally thin hi hats.

Honestly when Matt first started selling these in my head I was like “great, he finally figured out the marketing game” (don’t tell him I said that) but there really is something different about these.
I have a set of 15s as well - 1033/1190. I’m not a 15” hi hat guy, but these are the only exception. Very crisp and articulate. However, my 14s have a special mojo. They are the only cymbals I own (and I have many) that couldn’t be replaced.

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been playing this bad boy for 7 years now and it always inspires me. Meinl 21” Transition Ride. If I had to keep only one cymbal that’s the one. It’s the only cymbal I have ever owned that both fellow musicians keep commenting on and people from the audience. “What is that cymbal? Wow it sounds so great”

You don’t fully realize the beauty of it until you play/hear it in a musical context.

7B0C069A-2CCD-4F0C-9E12-8BD2D31C5E41.jpeg

Michael M.

Reaction score
Yeah, hsosdrum, I actually have a 70s (I think) A. Zildjian China that is 30" even. Here are pictures of the 30+ ride, along with a 50's Hollow stamp paper thin 26", and a photo of a set,.
of hi hats: the 26" thin atop the 30" China:

View attachment 493523 View attachment 493525
A 26"thin on top of a 30"china. I would love to hear that. I can't imagine how that would sound.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's ones I like
and there's ones the microphones adore

there's live cymbals I love
if it was a recording it'd be different cymbals

that's only because I know what some are like recorded
others that I like live I haven't yet heard recorded

there's one's I trust Live
there's others I trust Recorded

that's all I know at this point

I'm not sure what I like Live are the best Recorded

Recording: would be old Ks, All every and any old K i own in multiple -how I felt that day- combination.
Live: would be the Bosphorus set that came together fast and I enjoy personally as much if not more than the old Ks with the stipulation I might not like them recorded (in other words up close under the microphone)

So "Live' and call it "Studio' are with me at this moment in time or tomorrow, two different things and I'm ok with that. I own both.
Live and Studio

whatever the gigs calls for- live or recording- decides.

Last edited:

Michael M.

Reaction score
Indeed. Will be 50 this year and it seems like I've only recently been able to actually identify what it is I like and want in drum and cymbal sounds. Have owned thousands of pieces of gear in the last 40+ years of drumming and I've let so many keepers go. Not this one.
I've never sold a cymbal, never will.

Michael M.

Reaction score
To me depends on the day, or the music I'm playing, even where I'm playing or the music I'm hearing at this moment.
But surely, one of those:
View attachment 493005
After seeing the picture of your cymbals I did a count, and came up with 15. Counted both Hats as 2. The first thought I had was: I need more cymbals. What?!? Is something wrong with me? How many of you have done the same thing ?

jmoll

Reaction score
After seeing the picture of your cymbals I did a count, and came up with 15. Counted both Hats as 2. The first thought I had was: I need more cymbals. What?!? Is something wrong with me? How many of you have done the same thing ?
There are 3x pairs of hi hats
3x 22"
5x 20"
3x 18"

I count 14 ;)
I actually have a couple more cymbals, those in the pictures are only the old K's.
Yes, this is more cymbals that what I would use at the same time, but the idea here is to have different choices.
I think that's not a "big" collection, I know of many people here with much more cymbals!

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
Favorite to play: K
Favorite to look at ;): Spizzichino
I’ve got a k custom dry that is killer as well! Was my main ride for a solid 3 years I added 3 rivets to try to give it a little more sustain, it worked out somewhat lol still bone dry

My 22 MTL may be my favorite though

Attachments