Your favorite albums to play to? Recommendations welcomed.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
I really learned the drum set, by practicing with the Music Minus One, LP series. You have a band recorded without the drummer (or any musician) and you get sheet music to read and play along. Also, sharpen your skills by playing with anything by Dave Brubeck. Even Bonham used to do that.

MMO.png

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My choices to play along with are anything by Modern Jazz Quartet or Jacques Loussier Trio. And sometimes Dianna Krall with Jeff Hamilton concerts.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Being an 80s and 90s guy my favorite play alongs are Aerosmith pump or permanent vacation, red hot chili peppers californication and foo fighters there is nothing left to lose. Just good standard rock drumming and killer groove on the rhcp record.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This: I love how he plays in tempos outside of my comfort zone; there is no drummer, so I alternate playing with sticks, then brushes depending on what I played at my last practice session. If you play brushes you can get real creative. Back to tempos. They are nothing wild - he is a few to a dozen bpm off from what I normally expect for those songs.

I’ve been playing to canned no drums on YouTube or an I Tunes album of 50 plus hits of Errol Garner w/o drums. But, this gives me a whole new place to go.Teddy was a giant.. loved his work with Benny Goodman combos. Ever note that the 1938 combo which was huge, had only he and Gene Krupa, no Bass and Teddy switched from melody to chords back and forth seamlessly ?

PHROGGE

Reaction score
LISTEN CLOSELY TO "UP" BY SHANIA TWAIN ....PAUL LEIM PLAYS & TRACKS STUFF TOGETHER,,,& MUTT LANGE IS A GENIUS @ "GETTING IT ALL TOGETHER" #2 PILGRIM BY ERIC CLAPTON (IN MY PERSONAL LESSON WITH STEVE GADD,,,PROGRAM YER DRUM MACHINE TO DO "THAT" & IM NOT PLAYIN IT..I DO THIS INSTEAD,WITH THE MACHINE ...OR PETER GABRIEL STUFF )"IN YOUR EYES" HAS 27 DIFFERENT DRUMTRACKS SPLICED TOGETHER....LESSON TO BE LEARNED HERE ???....IF DA DRUM MACHINE DOES "THAT" YOU DONT HAVE TO PLAY THAT PART,,,DO SOMETHING ELSE !!!! TRUE DAT

dyland

Reaction score
Herbie recorded a straight up disco album called Lite Me Up with Jeff Porcaro and it's a blast to play along to.

Bill Withers Live at Carnegie Hall (James Gadson)
BB King and Clapton's Riding With the King (Gadd with Nathan East)
Daft Punk's Random Access Memories (Omar and JR)

langmick

Reaction score
Caught Wanted Man on Sirius today. Used to really love playing along to those tunes.

Not so much anymore, but Blotzer had a cool groove and threw in some hip stuff.

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
REM: Murmur and Reckoning
XTC: Oranges and Lemons and Nonsuch
Miles Davis: first/second quintet
Replacements: any
Tom Petty: any

These were foundation practice records for me many moons ago. Lots to learn from them.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, looks like I might actually have A GIG this month! Haven't played a full one since September, and I'll admit I have let the grass grow around my basement practice kit(I know, bad!!)

Yesterday, as I drilled the entire set I'll be playing, I felt it. Bigtime. It was 90 minutes of playing, but still, when I was gigging several times a month, 90 minutes was the first set! I even began cramping later.

So, wondering what you guys use to stay limber(when full band rehearsals are not happening). I'm looking for something straight-ahead that's fun to play rather than, say, an endurance challenge with Mahavishnu CDs.

Thanks!

Dan
CRAMPING! Yes, drink lots of water Dan. There was a time many, many years ago I was playing with a band that used to do a 180 minute first set every night! 9:00 pm to 12:00pm. You didn't even drink water on stage for fear of having to cut off and hit the head. Brutal! The issue was, there were so many clubs on the strip that if you stopped for a break, people just split across to another club to see another band. You had to keep them dancing & drinking all night! That gig with that band took me at least 3 months to get used to. Today, at 60, I'd have to seriously shed to work up to a 90 minute set.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lots of posts on playing hard and fast! I would say just the opposite, soft and slow. You will hear everything you play and can feel your groove far better. Now, eventually you are going for stamina, I get that, so you will need to throw a few numbers in once you have sharpened your feel. But work up to it.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Body Meta - Ornette Coleman

Slingwig26

Reaction score
Hey, looks like I might actually have A GIG this month! Haven't played a full one since September, and I'll admit I have let the grass grow around my basement practice kit(I know, bad!!)

Yesterday, as I drilled the entire set I'll be playing, I felt it. Bigtime. It was 90 minutes of playing, but still, when I was gigging several times a month, 90 minutes was the first set! I even began cramping later.

So, wondering what you guys use to stay limber(when full band rehearsals are not happening). I'm looking for something straight-ahead that's fun to play rather than, say, an endurance challenge with Mahavishnu CDs.

Thanks!

Dan
I love rockin out to the Who’s Next and Who Are You Lp’s and DLR era Van Halen albums and Yessongs live. And adding drums to non drum songs, like Led Zep Battle of Evermore or the Beatles Eleanor Rigby or Across the Universe, etc.

Browny

Reaction score
I love rockin out to the Who’s Next and Who Are You Lp’s and DLR era Van Halen albums and Yessongs live. And adding drums to non drum songs, like Led Zep Battle of Evermore or the Beatles Eleanor Rigby or Across the Universe, etc.
I had a couple of practice sessions doing that, putting the 3 'Ghosts' records by Nine Inch Nails in a playlist and hitting shuffle. Some of the tracks do have drums, either real or programmed, but they're closer to movie soundtrack themes than traditional songs, and it's not like I actually remember any as it's more of a background listening thing when it gets played.

Ghosts I-IV is 26 tracks & 1:50 long, Ghosts V is 8 tracks & 1:10 and Ghosts VI is 15 tracks & 1:23. So you've got about 4.5hrs of dark, ethereal, Trent Reznor magic to try and play along with.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lots of posts on playing hard and fast! I would say just the opposite, soft and slow. You will hear everything you play and can feel your groove far better. Now, eventually you are going for stamina, I get that, so you will need to throw a few numbers in once you have sharpened your feel. But work up to it.
I always found that I played louder when playing along to recorded music.

After all, I could just keep turning up the volume. :D

Playing in an actual band you have to adjust your level to match that of the band. Now I always try to keep the volume to a lower level when playing to recordings, it is actually more fun to not kill yourself. The joys of getting older, I guess.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Takin' care of business is His name