Your favorite full album

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
So hard to pick just one! I’ll have to share 4 in order of my falling in love with them from the 80’s up to now.

Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Enter the Wu-Tang - Wu-Tang Clan
Benson Burner - George Benson

Each of these albums is an experience really, to be taken as a whole.
I did my damnedest to play Led Zep IV until the stylus wore right through the album. I had this portable record player as a kid, and I toted IV around like a talisman. It’s a mysterious album, it has this alchemical vibe like they recorded it in the underworld or maybe traded their souls for the perfect LP. More than the sum of its parts.
Dark Side was my (delicious) entree into Floyd, but Wall was the deep dive. The album/movie was a staple in my childhood (thanks Dad, who even took me to the ‘88 MLoR tour at 10 years old!) and (literally) morphed into more with the help of hallucinogens as a teen. Dad had a good sound system connected to the tv/vcr, so it was a perfect storm... Mescaline and Pink Floyd is like PB&J, right?
36 Chambers was the soundtrack for my young adult life, and every track is a genre changing icon. The raw sound, the heartfelt lyrics and delivery would never be re-created - it’s a special album that crossed lines and changed hip-hop. Magic.
Benson Burner is a gem! My Pops turned me on to George as a kid, and I dug it, but Pops didn’t know about this early stuff. I discovered it by accident, and I was floored when I heard a whole ‘nother George. This is just a joy, a listening pleasure, an ear massage. Drop the needle, sit back and awaaaay we go... George takes you on a jazzy, funky, musical journey. If you’ve only known his big-hit vocal stuff, you will be awestruck at his virtuosity and sound on this HUGE double LP.

Of course, in the days of vinyl, every track better be good because there’s no fast forward. CD changed that, and iPod hammered the nail deeeeep in that coffin. The hit single is the goal now, you might catch 2 or 3 good ones on a fluffed up album. There’s always exceptions, and vinyl will always have its following, but the golden era has passed....

drummaman1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have many, but the most notable:

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Mahavishnu - Birds Of Fire
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Chick Corea Akoustic Band - Alive
Chick Corea Elektric Band - Beneath the Mask

Alan Copeland

Reaction score
1960 "Pete Fountain presents Jack Sperling and his Facinatin' Rhythm". It showcases Jack’s melodic concept of drumming.
He is a classic drummer, who has worked for Bunny Berigan, Tex Beneke, Les Brown, Henry Mancini (Pater Gunn, Mr. Lucky, Charade etc.), Pete Fountain, Tony Bennet, Count Basie, NBC staff drummer (Steve Allen Show, the Andy Williams Show, the Dean Martin Show, Laugh-in, the Roger Miller Show and others), The Wrecking Crew (before Hal Blaine) and many TV specials...

Attachments

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
A lot of my favorites already on the list (Moonflower, Heavy Metal Be-Bop), but I have to add “Screaming Headless Torsos”. JoJo Meyer is absolutely on fire. :)

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Def Leppard - Pyromania. Flipped that cassette over and over as a kid when it came out.

My wife and daughter's favorite is Fleetwood Mac Rumors. Seems like those 2 are always spinning that album.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Currently it’s Wilco’s ‘Ode to Joy’

edplaysthedrums

Reaction score
Yes- Tales
Genesis- Lamb
Chris Squire- Fish Out Of Water
UK
(see the prog theme here)
The Bad Plus- Activate Infinity
Emily Haines- Knives Don't Have Your Back

I'll stop, these are a few you just can't pick and choose

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Come on guys. Go out on a limb and pick just one as asked by the OP.

Naming off multiples is the easy way out.

This thread quickly turned in to "hey look how cool and diversified I am with the music I listen to".

scole

Reaction score
All-time, it would be The Sundays- Blind

Also,..
Alice in Chains- Jar of Flies
Grant Green- In a Latin Mood
Greyboy Allstars- A Town Called Earth
Marvin Gaye- What's Going On
Soulive- Get Down!
Tauk- Sir Nebula
Toad The Wet Sprocket- Dulcinea
Blink-182- Enema of the State