YOUR...Favorite HARDWARE Case & Why???

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep, it's weird to LOVE a case, but I know we all do when it's THE right one that is brilliant in design & makes life better...

So... I ask...What is YOUR favorite case for hardware or items requiring wheels & Why???

I have a crazy idea regarding cases & in particular larger ones that require wheels... Your feedback is super appreciated! :)

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Timely thread as I'm in the market for a replacement. I recently lost a wheel on my Kaces hardware bag.

Last edited:

Ghostin one

Reaction score
I use a drywall mud bucket with optional duffel bag, and a hand truck.

It's cheap, it works, and being vertical, there's a lot less wear-and-tear on the stands.

MrYikes

Reaction score
This thread made me realize that if (really big if) I were ever to take the Rogers kit out, I no longer have anything to carry the hardware. I will have to correct that.

tomo221

Reaction score
Ahead Ogio. They offer three lengths, and I use the shortest one. My lightweight stands (DW, Tama) break down small enough to fit, along with legs, tom arm, pedal, and stick bag (throne top goes in a different case). Built like a brick, handles where I want them, fits just about anywhere in my car. Been using it for a few years and it still looks and functions like it's new.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On the other end of the life cycle, here’s my old Humes & Berg. This dude is about 40 years old, has been all over the country and overseas twice, and is still in use. Purchased new, it’s my oldest operational piece of gear. I use memory locks on everything, and can fit cymbal boom arms in there separated from the bases without folding them up. Kick pedal is wrapped in a packing blanket at the bottom, throne top is in a case with my aux snare. It can really take a beating.

443063C5-8BD1-4701-8A73-FF7A48691D20.jpeg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine gave me a large canvas duffel bag with wheels years ago. Never really used it - you could literally stuff a body in it - it's that big. Now that the last few years I have a steady gig (6-10/year), I keep my HH stand, 2-3 cymbal stands, stick bag, tambourine, kick pedal, Roc-n-soc throne, FT legs, tom mount, tool kit, my camera, recording device, tripod, parts, tape, etc. inside it. It is great because it's roomy and fits everything other than the actual drums and cymbals (obviously in their own cases). However, the mofo is 80+ lbs. and a pain to lift. However, once out of the car, it's easy to move around due to the handle.

Ideally, I bail the heavy 80's/90's stands and get one of those lightweight kits, but still would need a way to carry my kick pedal, chair and other items. Having a mega case as posted above just isn't feasible for me......

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
Beato 48" bag with wheels. Holds all my hardware and I don't have to break down cymbal stands. Seat, pedal, stick bag, everything. Waterproof with indestructible wheels.

jsp210

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big-ass SKB roller. Stands fit in without breakdown, and I can stack drum bags on it (level surface) when I use my Rack n roller.
Another vote for this, especially if you have a big R&R cart and can stack the drums on it. Pretty heavy in itself though but fits a lot and bulletproof.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another vote for this, especially if you have a big R&R cart and can stack the drums on it. Pretty heavy in itself though but fits a lot and bulletproof.
This might work if you’re an around-town drummer playing weekend dates and don’t mind something big and heavy to get in your exercise beforehand.

But have you ever taken a large, heavy hardware case on a monthlong, 29-show tour from CA to NYC and back? Nothing made me want to switch to bags more quickly than having to lug a case like what I had (mine was not an SKB...) in and out of our Ford Econoline, and into and out of the venue, every single night. I was in very good shape back then, too, and I was drained after soundcheck.

Wheels are no help when you’re slogging it through ankle deep mud for three blocks to the load-in doors at the venue in Rapid City, SD (or wherever that was!).

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
This might work if you’re an around-town drummer playing weekend dates and don’t mind something big and heavy to get in your exercise beforehand.

But have you ever taken a large, heavy hardware case on a monthlong, 29-show tour from CA to NYC and back? Nothing made me want to switch to bags more quickly than having to lug a case like what I had (mine was not an SKB...) in and out of our Ford Econoline, and into and out of the venue, every single night. I was in very good shape back then, too, and I was drained after soundcheck.

Wheels are no help when you’re slogging it through ankle deep mud for three blocks to the load-in doors at the venue in Rapid City, SD (or wherever that was!).
Weird, I have exactly the opposite reaction. I'm fine using bags when they're in my car for casual gigs, but anytime I'm on tour, I switch everything out for hard cases (cymbals, drums, and hardware). I can't imagine putting bags into the back of a tour van, with everything else stacked on top of them.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Weird, I have exactly the opposite reaction. I'm fine using bags when they're in my car for casual gigs, but anytime I'm on tour, I switch everything out for hard cases (cymbals, drums, and hardware). I can't imagine putting bags into the back of a tour van, with everything else stacked on top of them.
I almost always take my “beater” kits on tour so I don’t have to worry about them getting banged up. If I am doing a shorter, fly out, 2-week string of dates, and if there’s enough funds, I’ll ship one of my nicer kits via Rockit cargo. Otherwise, I play the supplied venue backline or use a rental kit for a quick leg.

Haven‘t done much significant touring in years, but I’m happy to stay in all bags mode for the rest of my playing career.

covinasurf

Reaction score
Ahead Ogio. They offer three lengths, and I use the shortest one. My lightweight stands (DW, Tama) break down small enough to fit, along with legs, tom arm, pedal, and stick bag (throne top goes in a different case). Built like a brick, handles where I want them, fits just about anywhere in my car. Been using it for a few years and it still looks and functions like it's new.
Another vote for the Ogio. First thing I ever saw in a magazine that I had to run out and buy.

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
I use the Hardcase 40".

I hate their drum cases, but the hardware case has lasted me over 10 years of near-constant use, and it still looks brand new. Even the wheels have held up, which I've usually found to be the weak point. Buckles / straps / handles, too -- everything is in like-new condition.

It's long enough that I can put all of my stands in one end, and have the other end open for bigger / bulkier pieces -- bass drum tom mount, throne backrest, a cowbell (in a padded bag), AC power drops, and a few rolls of gaffer tape, in my case.

kallen49

Reaction score
since you asked...
the DW Canister throne (the PVC version.) I paid $210 Canadian in 2006. Was working in a drum shop so got a big discount.
One is for sale on Reverb now, on Reverb, asking $US 650! (ships from Poland so add $250 shipping),
Very comfortable padded seat, built like a tank, carries hardware and your seat height always exactly the same. Is adjustable but I use at the lowest setting.
I don't know anyone else who has one but many drummer friends have envied it.

I guess it was always too expensive to become popular but it sure has served me well at 100's of gigs. I also use a small Gibraltar wheel bag that holds my Crosstown Hardware. But I can fit an entire small kit hardware set in the canister if needed.

*Honourable mention to the used golf club bags I used to get from local goodwill store for $10.

Last edited: