Your Favorite Jazz Hi-Hats?

kallen49

Reaction score
it’s worth the time to listen to Jeremy Stacy talk about cymbals (and drums) with John De Cristopher.
Stacy started as a jazz drummer. Explains why he eventually gave up his Zildjian endorsment to play Istanbul cymbals
(not Bosphorus)
He’s played more cymbals than I ever will.
Interesting comments about the thickness of some famous “jazz” cymbals being thicker not thinner.

Last edited:

tbird8450

Reaction score
The Bosphorous Traditional Crisp 14s were on my short-list for sure. Maybe I'll end up going that way, we'll see. The Master Vintage hats were pretty sweet, but not quite what I'm after. I did grab some Mel Lewis 14s as they just seemed to offer the best overall package for my tastes. Some others had a slightly better chick, or a bit more crispness, etc, but didn't have quite enough in other areas. The MLs ticked a lot of boxes and I kept going back to their videos / sound samples. So far I'm enjoying them a lot. They seem more than responsive and quick enough - of course I'm coming from 15" 2002s which are about 300g heavier. I'll give them a few days of distraction-free playing (Ha - I can dream, right?) and then figure out if they're keepers. So far I think they will be.
I'm over a week into messing with the ML 14s and I'm still very pleased with them. They're just really well rounded and do nothing poorly at all. If I had some magic cymbal dust I might make them just a tinge darker, but beyond that they're pretty much spot on to what I was looking for. Between these and my 15" 2002 SEs, I think I'm set on hats for a while (lol yeah sure).

bergheimer

Reaction score
For very long time I am on the hunt for some nice pair of hats for Jazz. Especially if you're looking for some vintage or used handmade hats, the problem is to find one that closes precisely, has a nice, present chick and sizzly sound. I tried some 15" paperthin A Zildjians, 15" and 14" Agop 30th Anniversary, 15" Agop OM's (that I kept!), 14" Signatures, 15" Agop Jazz SE and 14" Mel Lewis. I could feel and hear their potential, but especially for quiter Jazz none of those worked as I expected. I was so tired from buying/selling, that I finally went for some of those 14" Agop tradional Jazz hats - Agops new Jazz line.

Bang! They provide everything I was looking for, they are jazzy, but still versatile, close properly, have a nice chick and are crisp, but not too loud and still buttery. They weight is 880/1100, which I find perfect for some 14" Jazz hats. Maybe not as extravaganza like other Agop lines (especially the 30th or the Signatures), but much more precise, crisp and reliable. Defenitily a keeper for me!

Last edited:

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Choosing hats for a genre is way too sophisticated for me, an old New Beat guy. However, for awhile I owned a pair of 13" Agop Sultans 865/945 that struck me as what I would call "precise," as opposed to my messier New Beats. I think of jazz playing as more precise and was surprised by how much I liked the Sultans. I only sold the Sultans because I didn't need two sets of hats and the buyer chose the Sultans over my New Beats, but would have held onto them if I had been playing jazz or another genre that called for precision playing.

saturnresearch

Reaction score
If I could conjure an ideal hi hat, it'd be a pair of 13s with a higher pitch but not too heavy (bottom plate sub-1000g). Any suggestions? I feel like lighter 13s end up being kind of dark or "shaker-y" rather than crisp. I have a cool pair of 13 Tosco Hip Hop hi hats that are almost there, but a bit too loud/heavy (I think the weights are like 810/1020). I play pretty quietly, usually with tea towels over the drums because I like the effect, and those hats just stick out a little too much even with a light touch. My other pair is a sick set of paper thin 12" old As that are great for a light "shaker-y" sound but a little mushy for precise playing.

jb111

Reaction score
How do you like these?
I haven't played 14s in a while, and I have a full set of the Agop Traditional Jazzes. The hats are cool. Honestly, the bottom cymbal has a funky sound on it's own. This will come through at times, but overall I'm digging them. Solid chick sound, good feel on the stick. Not too light, not overly heavy.

But I also just picked up a pair of 60s As in great shape for $100. Nice weights. Sound and feel great, too. Can't go wrong there.

SteveParadis

Reaction score
I haven't played 14s in a while, and I have a full set of the Agop Traditional Jazzes. The hats are cool. Honestly, the bottom cymbal has a funky sound on it's own. This will come through at times, but overall I'm digging them. Solid chick sound, good feel on the stick. Not too light, not overly heavy.

But I also just picked up a pair of 60s As in great shape for $100. Nice weights. Sound and feel great, too. Can't go wrong there.
Thanks for the review! I got a set of the rides and the high hat 14 inch. Perfect for what I wanted. And good looking too.

Jonnymac

Reaction score
60s or 70s New Beats
14 850ish /1150ish
15 950ish/1350ish

Or you could just look into the new Avedis hats

Franklin Nigel Stein

Reaction score
My background is mostly rock, but over the past few months I've been going all-in on developing my jazz skills. I'm mostly into acoustic, smoky jazz club and bop type material more than big band and new wave.

I'm pretty well set on rides and crashes. I currently use 15" Paiste 2002 SE hats, which I absolutely love for rock and are actually serviceable for jazz if you work them the right way, but I'd like to get a jazz-specific set.

I'd like something quick, crisp, and on the lighter side, that are nuanced enough for intricate work during lower-volume situations, and maintain a nice sizzle even down low. The biggest downfall of the 2002s is that when the volume goes down, the sizzle devolves into clankiness.

I haven't really auditioned much yet as there's just so much out there - so where should I start? My ride / crash setup consists of Paiste, Zildjian, Meinl, and Istanbul, so clearly brand isn't a key concern. Thanks!
I leave my modern stuff at home and go all Max Roach on a 15 over 16 paper thin Trans Stamp (Zildjian-1952ish) setup. Sadly, the cymbals are a lot better than I am. Sigh. We can all dream

Frank N Stein

4BC9FB7F-009C-4B6B-9E22-2ED62E4496E9.jpeg