Your favorite recorded snare sound

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Just one track, from one album. Live or studio.

What snare sound is really 'perfect' to you?

Remember, just pick one...

Mine is Chris Layton's on 'Crossfire', from the 'In Step' album. From 1989.

Probably a Tama snare, I don't know what model. Don't know what mic was used, or what recording technique.

But when I hear it, it moves me.

Yours?

tempobob

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good thread.
Tonight, it's Vinnie C.'s- "The UnReel Drum Book". Music by Randy Waldman, book by Marc Atkinson.

matt b

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
John Fishman's 6.5"x 14" Ludwig Black Beauty on Phish's song "Ghost" from the album Story of the Ghost

SteveB

DFO Star
Reaction score
Although not a sound I would go for all the time, Buddy Rich on Rich Verse Roach. Right up there would be any very early Tower of Power such as on East Bay Grease with Dave Garibaldi. I loved the music from that point forward but I hated his sound during the Down to the Nightclub era....way too overly processed and the hats are ultra harsh on those recordings.

Lot's of others too of course...just about any Blakey snare roll does it for me.

Zootopian

Reaction score
cpj83 said:
Paicey's Supra on Highway Star.

Chris 8)
Nice pick, great sound on that track.

Mine has to be Larry Mullen's 12x7" Sheoak Block snare on Until the End of the World - U2 (from the "Go Home: Live from Slane Castle" 2001 live recording/dvd)

bbunks

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matt Chamberlain on The Wallflowers "One Headlight" - this is what a snare should sound like!

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy, this is hard - one track, one album.

I'd have to go with Joe Morello, playing "Castillian Drums," from Live At Carnegie Hall. He does most of the solo with the snares off, but when he pulls them back on, it's heaven.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think there is one sound I could pick for EVERYTHING...

But I can tell you I spent many hours in a studio once trying in vain to get my drum to sound like the snare drum from "Barely Breathing" by Duncan Sheik. Obscure, I know.

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
Fred Below's rim shots on "I Didn't Know" from Howlin' Wolf's Live at Alice's Revisited. Great cracking rim shots and a smooth drivin' shuffle. Understated, like nearly everything Fred did, but hugely influential. Heard it for the first time 30 years ago and it still makes me grin.

BCFinn

Reaction score
DanC said:
Mine is Chris Layton's on 'Crossfire', from the 'In Step' album. From 1989.

That one is great especially being from the 80s but im going with Weezer's Jason Wilson Snare from "El Scorcho" (Its gotta be a Supra or BB) They get a great drum sound on all their albums

PureRockFury

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Matt Sorum's snare on the Live Era recording of Rocket Queen. It has a killer fat body and amazing snare response mixed in. Of course, they spent more money than any other on production, so who knows if that is actually the drum on the recording.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ringo's Jazz Festival snare drum on Dear Prudence, I Am The Walrus, or about any other Beatles tune.

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
First one that comes to mind: Idris Mohammad on John Scofield's "Groove Elation". The ring's the thing!

Last edited by a moderator:

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan Seraphine - South California Purples . His snares always sound fat and crisp with just enough pop and ring.I believe the one I referred to is a wood Dynasonic, but I'm not sure.

biggator

DFO Star
Reaction score
bbunks said:
Matt Chamberlain on The Wallflowers "One Headlight" - this is what a snare should sound like!

Yeah - never liked the song, but that SNARE...

oh yeah.. and "when the levee breaks" - Binson echorec, headley grange, 6.5" supra, guy trying to hit through both heads... mmmm.. perfection.