Your Favorite Stick Bag

Targalx

Reaction score
I was never a stick bag user. For 20+ years, I just threw a bunch of sticks in my cymbal case or snare case and called it a day. A couple years ago, I received a stick bag as a gift and I immediately started using it. I like it, it's a Meinl stick bag, pretty basic, but it's a big change for me. I'm now thinking of what else is out there. Any cool or interesting stick bags to tell us about? Perhaps there are bags that you use that were not originally intended for drumsticks that work perfect for your needs?

Castnblast

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
a good leather / canvass bag will last a lifetime, and their is no better heirloom for a family member...

Soulfinger

Reaction score
a good leather / canvass bag will last a lifetime, and their is no better heirloom for a family member...
True. I still have my first ever stick bag I bought almost 40 years ago - leather, made in England by Terry Gould - and it´s as good as ever. I no longer take it out though, would be a shame if it got lost or stolen.
For everyday use, I´m very fond of the new Tama Powerpad Designer line - well made, user friendly and pretty good looking IMO.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used a Tuxedo bag from like 14-34 or so, my wife got me a Tackle leather bag for Christmas that I ended up not being a big fan of so I sold it. I tried making my own (I do leather work) but it wasn't quite right. A few months back someone on here was giving away an older Vic Firth leather stick bag so I picked it up. IT'S PERFECT! Last stick bag I think I'll even own.

It's this one

but I'm pretty sure mine is leather but I could be wrong. Doesn't feel like vinyl.

MrYikes

Reaction score
I always have used a sock. Always one around, no one ever tried to steal it (or touch it either. ha.) It was cheap. This year I made a pouch that I hang on the ft lugs that holds everything I need . Then recently I saw a bag from China for $3 and got that. These are really nice. But if I ever gig again, I'll probably take a sock.

mm 002.JPG

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I only need a small stash at any gig, say two pairs sticks, one brushes, one mallets, so for me the Tama Powerpad Compact is perfect. Not the greatest construction quality, but it looks good and does exactly what I need.

At some point I’ll probably get a handmade leather bag. I treated myself to a Pie Safe cymbal bag last year.

midnightsupperclub

Reaction score
Another resounding yes from me for the Tama Powerpad compact stick bag. Not too pricey, holds enough sticks for most of my uses. I picked the blue denim color, which I think makes a nice change from the black ones that most other manufacturers have.

For a larger stick bag, my favorite is the Ahead Deluxe stick bag. It has an upper and lower row of pockets which helps me separate sticks, brushes, mallets and keeps things organized and really easy to grab in the middle of a set. 25 bucks, not too pricey either.

Trey Gray

Pro
Reaction score
I just purchased 2 of these from Sweetwater...simple and sexy! Have a great weekend everyone....

cheers and blessings, Trey

LM Products 1985 Reissue Vintage Leather Drumstick Bag - Black

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For years I used a big fancy leather one. Then I realized how ridiculously cumbersome it was for most gigs, and switched to that little Tama Powerpad canvas bag. So much easier!

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
+1 for the Erskine bag. After my Yamaha version was stolen I got the DW model. I like the tripod stand, and it holds plenty of implements.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Tama Powerpad compact bag, as mentioned above.
Last year I asked myself WHY have I been lugging around a 5 to 7 pound stick bag to every gig for 40 years?

This Tama holds 6 prs. which is plenty for my gigging use.
Half the size & half the weight of my regular stick bags. Cheap too, under $12 shipped from MF.
It's seen a lot of gigging use in the year since I got it and it's held up wonderfully. Perfect.

TamaStickbag.jpg
TamaStick bag.jpg

Targalx

Reaction score
I use this Meinl stick bag: https://www.amazon.com/Meinl-Percussion-Stick-Outside-Pocket/dp/B0007ZEY8W

It's built really solid, has plenty of pockets, attaches easily to my floor tom, and fits in my cymbal bag. I like the idea of a leather bag, but it's hard to justify the price when my last cheapo bag lasted 15 years. I imagine this one will last at least 30 and it was only $20.
Yes, that's the one I recently got as a gift. I like it!
The main reason I never used a stick bag was because it was ONE MORE THING I had to remember to bring with me. AND, it was small, so it was easy to forget when packing the car. ANNNND, it was ESSENTIAL that I brought it with me or else I'd have no sticks!

So, throwing a bunch of sticks in my cymbal case, cymbal bag or snare bag made me feel at ease, since those were big items that I wouldn't miss when packing the car.

Every time I leave the house for a gig, I do a mental "kick, snare, rack, floor, cymbals, rug, hardware" checklist. Now, I have to add "stick bag" to that list. As I age, it doesn't get any easier to remember!

Thank you all for your stick bag ideas, keep them coming. I am curious to see all the options out there.

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another person here who uses the Tama Powerpad canvas stick bag. Been using it for about a year, I think. I actually took all the stuff I was dragging around forever and split it between two of these bags and now I've got one for home and one for gigs. The old, expensive leather bag has been sitting on the shelf.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Yes, that's the one I recently got as a gift. I like it!
The main reason I never used a stick bag was because it was ONE MORE THING I had to remember to bring with me. AND, it was small, so it was easy to forget when packing the car. ANNNND, it was ESSENTIAL that I brought it with me or else I'd have no sticks!

So, throwing a bunch of sticks in my cymbal case, cymbal bag or snare bag made me feel at ease, since those were big items that I wouldn't miss when packing the car.

Every time I leave the house for a gig, I do a mental "kick, snare, rack, floor, cymbals, rug, hardware" checklist. Now, I have to add "stick bag" to that list. As I age, it doesn't get any easier to remember!

Thank you all for your stick bag ideas, keep them coming. I am curious to see all the options out there.
I'd check to see if they fit in another case or bag that you always bring. Like I mentioned, I keep the stick bag in my cymbal bag, so I always have it, even if I'm playing a gig with a backline kit. I always bring my cymbal bag, snare, pedal/gear bag (which also has my mic, in-ears, percussion stuff, etc) and my throne at minimum.