Your Favorite Stick Bag

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bring this big bag I got from A Drummer’s Tradition in San Rafael after my beloved leather bag was stolen. Probably too big but I have all sorts of things in the outside zippered pockets: snare cord, Sonor and trad keys, felts and sleeves for those stands on that bad house kit, small maracas for those Keltner moments, ear protection, band aids, naproxen, a 9 volt and some guitar picks...and even a small flask of cognac to help me deal with guitarists who forget picks.

I know it’s probably too much, but my father was a Chief Mate in the Merchant Marine and a backpacker so I was raised to be prepared. A gig is like being at sea or in the woods.
C0548601-0471-4B35-975F-9FB0FDC6A674.jpeg
6DA558C6-20FE-45CB-8846-30E34EF0FA7C.jpeg

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd check to see if they fit in another case or bag that you always bring. Like I mentioned, I keep the stick bag in my cymbal bag, so I always have it, even if I'm playing a gig with a backline kit. I always bring my cymbal bag, snare, pedal/gear bag (which also has my mic, in-ears, percussion stuff, etc) and my throne at minimum.
Great call! I should totally start doing that. Thanks for the tip.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cac-Sac bag I picked up at Revival Drum in PDX while on tour in 2013. Last stick bag I’ll ever own.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For me that is the Peter Erskine Free Standing stickbag, combined with the Vic Firth Essential Sitckbag for lighter/quick pick and go work.

A friend of mine on Long Island has one of these, I really liked it. Unfortunately, I think that it is out of production. Yamaha made it when Erskine was an endorser, DW also made a version while he was endorsing their drums.
I've been using a Humes and Berg Enduro at my rehearsal room across town and a DW bag for gigs for years. I'd like to switch to something stand alone like this.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got an old Reunion Blues from the 80's also. Dad bought it for me. He's gone, but the stick bag remains. Quality leather is hard to beat.

Kendrum

Reaction score
I've had this bag for over 25 years and it's tough! Many pockets to stash stuff and a shoulder strap.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've had this bag for over 25 years and it's tough! Many pockets to stash stuff and a shoulder strap.

I have that one too, but for years it has stayed in the matching tough traveler cymbal bag I'm finally ready to retire after twenty something years of abuse.
I almost never switch stick types or sizes on my gigs, so for a long time I used a little bag that just held a few pairs of sticks.
I recently got the Tama Powerpad case because it was cheap and looked pretty cool. I had to go online to figure out what that second zipper was for.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I collect old hand held stick bags that have the handle on the horizontal part of them. As far as a stick bag to hang on a floor tom, I bought a very inexpensive stick bag years ago from a member here. Had my wife cover it in some plastic/vinyl upholstery off of an old 50's kitchen chair . Love it!

Mike

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got a Tuxedo bag that I bought in 92 that still works great, only thing I replaced was the velcro on the outside pocket. I mostly use the small Tama powerpad bag though now. It fits in my cymbal bag and has everything I need. I have a friend that makes guitar straps that wants to make me a case at some point.

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine made me a stick bag back in the 80's! I've used it non stop for about 30 years. His family owned an upholstery shop and it is very well made.

prplx

Reaction score
I bring this big bag I got from A Drummer’s Tradition in San Rafael after my beloved leather bag was stolen. Probably too big but I have all sorts of things in the outside zippered pockets: snare cord, Sonor and trad keys, felts and sleeves for those stands on that bad house kit, small maracas for those Keltner moments, ear protection, band aids, naproxen, a 9 volt and some guitar picks...and even a small flask of cognac to help me deal with guitarists who forget picks.

I know it’s probably too much, but my father was a Chief Mate in the Merchant Marine and a backpacker so I was raised to be prepared. A gig is like being at sea or in the woods. View attachment 412413 View attachment 412414
I have that same bag, and like you keep stuff in it, my microphone for practice and gigs, earphones, ear protechion, extra sticky tape, drum keys, etc. Now I need to get a flask!

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Because of this thread I am moving my Tama Powerpad bag up to "primary" status and my full size bag is going to stay home and house extra sticks. I realize I'm carrying around far too much bag and too many sticks for the gigs I play and it's just extra weight. Thanks for the nudge!

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use the Peter Erskine bag as well but lately I've been using the stick bag my drumstick company gave me.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tama Powerpad compact bag, as mentioned above.
Last year I asked myself WHY have I been lugging around a 5 to 7 pound stick bag to every gig for 40 years?

This Tama holds 6 prs. which is plenty for my gigging use.
Half the size & half the weight of my regular stick bags. Cheap too, under $12 shipped from MF.
It's seen a lot of gigging use in the year since I got it and it's held up wonderfully. Perfect.

View attachment 412243 View attachment 412244
I use the same bag, same color. It hangs on the floor tom with no noticeable change in tone or sustain.

REMEMBER: The larger the bag the more junk you will carry.

sherm

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
My favorite was the black leather Ms. Percussion bag that I had for about 30 years. And then lost after a gig. :(

0B38FAC1-44A1-4FC5-A8F5-0886DB488170.jpeg

I just have a regular Vic Firth bag now, but like a lot of you, I carry way more sticks than I really need.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
The LP Big that I’ve had for about 30 years. Aside from a key ring in place of the zipper tab, it’s held up through a whole lotta gigs and travel. Still rockin!

B2D00976-F617-4C3D-B745-A480DB637B21.jpeg
65BD574F-1A73-4574-BAE4-FE2BBAD3D5DF.jpeg