header.nohb.html

Your favorite Stones song because of Charlie’s playing?

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Monkey Man. Swing on the fills, grits and grease on the groove.
Midnight Rambler in both its live and studio iterations. Seamless shuffle/straight/shuffle transitions, and his shuffle can groove you into bad health. It was listening to that song that really changed my opinion on his playing. I didn’t appreciate him nearly enough until then.

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
"She's So Cold" - I was in elementary school when it came out and it ended up being one of the first 45s I ever purchased (it had a frozen tongue logo on the jacket sleeve - but the entendre/innuendo was lost on me at that age). The drum fills and china smack in the solo section were the hook that immediately grabbed me.

GretschMan61

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Miss You - the groove is simple but it is all about the feel and the sound of his drums . The feel is driving but also laid back . His bass drum sounds wonderful and I love the sound of his snare and hihats as well . One of my all time favourite songs from my favourite Stones Album .

311Club

Reaction score
how he comes in on Tumblin Dice
This. The magical ability him and Keith had to strech the time in any way they pleased. IMO this is what set the Stones apart and made them unique

Reactions: JDA

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
This thread has me thinking about how there are a few Stones tracks that Charlie doesn't play on -- just like there are a few Beatles tracks that Ringo doesn't play on.

Who was Jimmy Miller's biggest influence? It was no doubt Charlie. Short of Keith, Mick and Bill, Jimmy probably heard Charlie's playing more than anyone else (at least up through the "classic" era of the early seventies). Furthermore, he was doubtless recording on Charlie's drums. So it's no surprise that he sounds a lot like Mr. Watts.
And the same goes for Sir McCartney and Sir Starkey. Even more so. Paul stood next to Ringo for how many gigs? Thousands? And there's the additional fact that Paul is a lefty playing a right-handed kit.

So Jimmy is to Charlie as Paul is to Ringo.

It is also interesting that these little facts didn't come to light until decades later. Apparently, no one noticed at the time (or cared) that Charlies didn't play on this cut or that. As long as he was up on stage was all that really mattered.

I know there are a handful of Beatles songs that Paul didn't play bass on. I expect the same is true of the Stones and Mr. Wyman. I wonder if bass players dissect and pontificate about those tracks like we drummers do.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread has me thinking about how there are a few Stones tracks that Charlie doesn't play on -- just like there are a few Beatles tracks that Ringo doesn't play on.

Who was Jimmy Miller's biggest influence? It was no doubt Charlie. Short of Keith, Mick and Bill, Jimmy probably heard Charlie's playing more than anyone else (at least up through the "classic" era of the early seventies). Furthermore, he was doubtless recording on Charlie's drums. So it's no surprise that he sounds a lot like Mr. Watts.
And the same goes for Sir McCartney and Sir Starkey. Even more so. Paul stood next to Ringo for how many gigs? Thousands? And there's the additional fact that Paul is a lefty playing a right-handed kit.

So Jimmy is to Charlie as Paul is to Ringo.

It is also interesting that these little facts didn't come to light until decades later. Apparently, no one noticed at the time (or cared) that Charlies didn't play on this cut or that. As long as he was up on stage was all that really mattered.

I know there are a handful of Beatles songs that Paul didn't play bass on. I expect the same is true of the Stones and Mr. Wyman. I wonder if bass players dissect and pontificate about those tracks like we drummers do.
Some excellent points, Doug. Charlie was a big fan of Jimmy Miller's playing. He told me he learned a lot from Jimmy.

Charlie's playing became more adventurous during the Jimmy Miller era (1968-1973) and I think he gave him the confidence to stretch out more. I don't know if he would've played those fills in "Monkey Man" or "Sway" or the ghost notes with his left hand in "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" without Jimmy's influence. But for me, Charlie's playing got to another level at that point. Plus, he was older and just naturally improving.

Jimmy had the vision for the drum part in "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and when Charlie couldn't quite get what he wanted, Jimmy sat down and played it. And it was a keeper. The story goes that they went back to the studio the next day and Charlie had it down, but Jimmy's track had the mojo they wanted and Charlie was cool with it. A similar situation happened with "Happy." Keith had a riff so Jimmy sat down at the drums to record a demo, and by the time Charlie and Bill Wyman got to Keith's house, they had the basic track.

My favorite Jimmy Miller track is "Shine A Light." Some truly exquisite drumming...

My favorite Stones track is "All Down The Line." But all of Charlie's tracks are my favorite.

The last time I saw Charlie in person (not the last time we spoke) in July 2019, I mentioned that I'd recently listened to "My Baby Gives It Away" by Pete Townsend and his face lit up. He said something like, "That's a good song" or "That was fun" which he didn't normally say when I'd tell him how much I enjoyed a song. Just thought I'd share that... and if you don't know that song, check it out. It's on Pete Townsend's "Rough Mix" record. The song sounds like they pressed 'record' and started jamming...