header.nohb.html

Your favorite Stones song because of Charlie’s playing?

daysleeper

Reaction score
Great to see so many deep cuts/non hits listed.

A few to check out if you don’t know them…

Rocks Off
Lovin Cup
Let It Loose
All Down The Line
Soul Survivor
(Exile On Main Street)

Sway
Moonlight Mile
Sister Morphine
I Got The Blues
(Sticky Fingers)

Hand Of Fate
Memory Motel
(Black and Blue)

Crackin Up
Round N Round
(Love You Live)

I can list another 100 but I’ll stop now :)

The drum break/ solo on Sister Morphine is outstanding, and Memory Motel is a good example of his impeccable sense of time.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Charlie question: In what years was he using his Giant Beat ride, and what recordings/albums may it have appeared on?

drummer083

Reaction score
This tread got me thinking about which show was my favorite and was lucky to catch them at Covention Hall in Atlantic City on the Steel Wheels tour . They had to tweak the stage and lighting as it wouldn’t fit under the roof . One of the last shows Bill Wyman played with the Stones . Blew the roof of that joint .
I was at the show on December 19th when Clapton and John Lee Hooker appeared. One of the best shows I ever saw.

Reactions: DBT

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charlie question: In what years was he using his Giant Beat ride, and what recordings/albums may it have appeared on?
I’d venture to say 1969-1974/5. For sure it’s on Let It Bleed (album) and also Honky Tonk Women. The ‘69 tour/Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out. A lot of Sticky Fingers (Moon Light Mile, Sway) a lot of Exile On Main Street (Tumbling Dice) the ‘72 and ‘73 tours as well as Goats Head Soup (Heartbreaker, Winter, Dancing With Mr. D, Can You Hear The Music) and It’s Only Rock N Roll (If You Can’t Rock Me, Luxury, Fingerprint File etc).

By Sticky Fingers and on, he was most likely using a couple of different rides in the studio. Maybe a 20” 602 and/or A. Zildjian in addition to his Giant Beat.

When they hit the road in 1975, he was using a 20” 2002 most likely a Medium, possibly a Ride. He used that through 1978.

Last edited:

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was at the show on December 19th when Clapton and John Lee Hooker appeared. One of the best shows I ever saw.
I remember the ticket prices were extremely high for that time and I didn’t care , I was going .

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw them in 1981. Little story goes along with this. I was driving home from a gig at the Red Lion Fire Hall in Pennsylvania. It was 3:00 AM in the morning, listening to my favorite rock and roll station, and the DJ said, "Tickets just went on sale for The Rolling Stones at the Capital Centre in Largo, MD". I couldn't believe what I was hearing at 3:00 AM, but it was real! I got home at 0400 and immediately called my brother-in-law. He was asleep, saying "Why are you calling me?". I said, "The Rolling Stones tickets just went on sale!" He called back at 0600, and I said "Yes! It's true!". Long story short, him and another friend immediately left to get tickets. Said they were standing in a line a mile long, when all of the sudden another ticket booth opened. He said they ran like hell! And we got tickets in the lower concourse on the left side of the stage. It was incredible. I was not a huge Rolling Stones fan until I saw this concert. Sometimes you have to see a band live.

This isn't Landover, MD, but it's the same year. Charlie is smokin'

Last edited:
Reactions: DBT

stickmakeboom

Reaction score
Honestly I've never been a HUGE stones fan, but I certainly appreciate their contribution to rock and roll. That said, "Can't you hear me knocking" is my favorite Stones song. Keith comes in with a super tight and immediately memorable guitar riff, and Charlie joins in with the perfect backbeat groove. It's a killer song that gets me every time!

BillyCarl

Reaction score
almost never heard him play that fast..
but he keeps it steady..

and there is another on the album.
another swinger
that left hand crackin'
old roots rollin' rock
one of my favorite albums

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Great to see so many deep cuts/non hits listed.

A few to check out if you don’t know them…

Rocks Off
Lovin Cup
Let It Loose
All Down The Line
Soul Survivor
(Exile On Main Street)

Sway
Moonlight Mile
Sister Morphine
I Got The Blues
(Sticky Fingers)

Hand Of Fate
Memory Motel
(Black and Blue)

Crackin Up
Round N Round
(Love You Live)

I can list another 100 but I’ll stop now :)

Memory Motel is probably my favorite Stones tune. Love that one!

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok after much back and forth I have to choose Mixed Emotions . Charlie is super tight and takes you on a ride . His Bass , snare and China sounds amazing .