Your favorite underrated lines of drums.

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
Premier Resonator series - I am a big fan of these - beautiful chrome plating .

Premier Signia - I loved these drums back when they introduced them - superb design and sound .

GMS - these drums just do not get the respect to they deserve - maybe the best lacquer finishes in the industry and they sound fabulous .

Mapex USA Maples - Sam Bacco design

5 ply Niles Slingerland drums - don’t command the prices some of the other vintage American brand do and that is too bad they deserve better .

Yamaha Club Custom - newer version with the Kapur shells - IMHO the best drums Sakae ever made for Yamaha

Sonor Hilite - these drums were not out long and it is a shame because they were superbly crafted, all metal parts separated from the shells by rubber insulators and they even had them with copper hardware !

Last edited:

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Remo Gold Crown. There is a reason brands pushed Remo to stop with them.
I love these drums so much. Absolutely underrated. I used to watch videos of Jeff Hamilton playing these; I think he was the last Remo Drums endorser...?

Here's a video of him playing A Night in Tunisia. This is a pre-G.C. kit; maybe a MasterEdge?

markkarj

Reaction score
I'm still a fan of the original Yamaha Rock Tour Custom drums from the early 90s. But that may have been because several of my favorite drummers at the time played them (Matt Sorum, Nick Menza, Manu Katche).

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love these drums so much. Absolutely underrated. I used to watch videos of Jeff Hamilton playing these; I think he was the last Remo Drums endorser...?

Here's a video of him playing A Night in Tunisia. This is a pre-G.C. kit; maybe a MasterEdge?
I love them to death!

6A63F08D-C696-4FF1-867F-FEAA9235BB40.jpeg

FFF4F612-FB00-4EE7-AC89-9EFE80A845D9.jpeg

F6213F81-56A4-43BB-BE7E-1CF542FB487D.jpeg

C2BE94BF-B9F1-4F70-A793-2928F3C3DF38.jpeg

Last edited:

RedeyeSPR

Reaction score
$1000? Oh man... that hurts. The search for a set of BCs in that exact configuration/finish is actually what led me to join DFO years ago.
To be honest, he was REALLY good for a high school kid. He had a crap beginner kit and his parents were barely making ends meet. His grandpa was buying the kit for him. I would never have sold it that cheap to someone random. I later sold him some 14 new beats, a z custom ride, and a k crash for $250. This kid really needed decent equipment and I didn’t really like the kit. I only paid 1200 for it used originally, so no big deal.

RedeyeSPR

Reaction score
Yamaha Club Custom - newer version with the Kapur shells - IMHO the best drums Sakae ever made for Yamaha
I keep looking for a 12/16/22 version of these. I’ve seen a couple, but it never works out that I have money at the time. One of these days it will happen.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I keep looking for a 12/16/22 version of these. I’ve seen a couple, but it never works out that I have money at the time. One of these days it will happen.
Like this one?

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
Another vote for Premier Signia/Genista. Beautiful, beautiful drums. Were quite commonplace in the `90's but don't often see them up for sale 2nd hand these days. Wonder why??
Also shout-outs to Pearl session series (apart from ridiculous hoop mounted suspension system) and `70's/80's Tama superstar and imperialstar

RedeyeSPR

Reaction score
Like this one?
Exactly like that one. It's even the right color. I think I may be ill now. It figures I don't have an essential job and am unemployed right now and also not gigging until this crisis is over. Maybe it will still be there in a few months. :( If I could sell my like new Live Custom Oak kit I would do it in a minute.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lots of great answers here. One I haven't seen come up - Natal's recent Cafe Racer series. Checked out two sets and absolutely loved them.
Hey, you didn’t write a review of the Cafe Racers, did you? I checked your site and couldn’t find anything, but I’d be very curious to hear more of your thoughts on them.

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not the answer you're looking for, but I had a set of MIJ Coronets 12-13-16-20 that I got for $30 that sounded fantastic, luan and all.
I am with you on that, many MIJ's sound and look fantastic.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

dave.robertson

Reaction score
In addition to those already mentioned:
  • Pearl President - Phenolic shells
  • Yamaha Rock Tour - Big Leaf Mahogany shells

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My vote goes to Stone Custom drums, made in Fort Wayne, IN.

They are manufactured using the old Slingerland Molds, the shell construction is 5 ply (maple/poplar/maple/poplar/maple) with a 45 degree bearing edge.

The build quality is fantastic, and the sound is just what you would expect.

102_3901.JPG

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yamaha 7000
PDP MX/CX/LX/Platinum
Pearl MLX/BLX/Session/DX/DLX
Ludwig Rocker 2 (maple/poplar shell)
Sonor Session/Sonic Plus/3000
Gretsch Marquee