Your favorite undrilled shell supplier?

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Please tell me where you like to purchase your undrilled snare shells. I am specifically looking to order an 8" deep rosewood shell with bearing edges and snare beds precut. Thanks for any help.

-Stephen

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've purchased shells from Precision Drum, but these are the standard Keller shells in your choice of 5, 6, 8 and 10 ply. Most online stores pretty much sell the same shells. Drum Foundry offers steambent solid shells, but nothing in rosewood. Other than from a boutique supplier, I don't know where you'll find a rosewood shell. Maybe other members have more info on this.

-Mark

Ptrick

Reaction score
Are you looking for 100% rosewood, or a rosewood finish?

I don’t think anyone is making a ply rosewood shell.

There are stave suppliers and maybe a steambent one that could be found, but it’s going to be expen$ive. Rosewood can’t be imported anymore without proper paperwork due to CITES restrictions.

The only ply Rosewoods that are mass produced and readily available are the Gretsch’s (one of which I just sold).

There are some pretty good Rosewood substitutes that can be acquired, some that SOUND similar, some that look similar.

Pau Ferro is not a true rosewood, but has a similar sound and look. Not quite as ‘sweet’ a sound. I have a stave snare made from it, from Daville Drumworks. Killer rim shots.

Bocote is a similar sound to rosewood, but does not look like it.

Cocobolo is probably the most beautiful wood species I’ve seen, and is a true rosewood, and I think can still be had in single ply shells by Eric Sooy at Drumfoundry.

Good luck on your hunt, shoot me any questions. I went thru a “rosewood “ phase and pretty much researched it to death.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for 100% rosewood, or a rosewood finish?

I don’t think anyone is making a ply rosewood shell.

There are stave suppliers and maybe a steambent one that could be found, but it’s going to be expen$ive. Rosewood can’t be imported anymore without proper paperwork due to CITES restrictions.

The only ply Rosewoods that are mass produced and readily available are the Gretsch’s (one of which I just sold).

There are some pretty good Rosewood substitutes that can be acquired, some that SOUND similar, some that look similar.

Pau Ferro is not a true rosewood, but has a similar sound and look. Not quite as ‘sweet’ a sound. I have a stave snare made from it, from Daville Drumworks. Killer rim shots.

Bocote is a similar sound to rosewood, but does not look like it.

Cocobolo is probably the most beautiful wood species I’ve seen, and is a true rosewood, and I think can still be had in single ply shells by Eric Sooy at Drumfoundry.

Good luck on your hunt, shoot me any questions. I went thru a “rosewood “ phase and pretty much researched it to death.
Thanks for this! I'm definitely looking for all rosewood ply, stave, or steambent, or even solid carved. I've seen some interesting makers online but I'm not sure if they make an 8" version, and so far the prices have been between fair to pretty steep, but probably worth every penny. I may indeed have to wait for a real Rosewood, which is fine, these things always take time. In the meantime I think I will put some sort of 8" deep wood snare together when I can find a shell that speaks to me.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, you won't be able to get "real" Rosewood as it has been banned from being exported/imported for many years. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a 5.5" Honduran Rosewood shell (this is the real rosewood you can't get any more) from Terry at Daville Drumworks. This was a number of years ago, so I'm sure Terry is completely out of this wood by now.

I would recommend contacting Terry, though, as he may be able to direct you towards another wood that has similar sonic characteristics to real rosewood.
honduran rosewood.jpg

Last edited:

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you Tommy. I actually ran across this site two nights ago and was really considering his 7" option in Honduran Rosewood if it is available. I'll likely go through Terry since his shells look very nice and you recommend him.

Latest posts