Your first "pro" cymbal as a kid

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
20 A 60’s bought new early 70’s
I’d heard of Paiste but Zildjian was a household name in my hood. my mom and pop store only sold Zildjian so there ya go.
After learning on stamped brass mij plates this thing was like stepping out of vw bug into a fully loaded caddy

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
My first serious kit was the Ludwig Clubdate 20" bass drum and matching black and gold Pioneer snare . The cymbals were a 14" British Zyn on top of a cracked 60's UFIP and a Stanople 18 " - the cymbal brand that Ludwig included in those kits .

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I didn't get my first "Pro" set of cymbals until I was 50 because I didn't play Western style drum kit before then. Bosphorus Ferit Antio (as the Antique series was called in around 2000) in 13" Regular Hats, 16" Thin Crash and 21" Original Ride. I was happy with those for some years until I fell in with wrong crowd and went on a search for perfection. Now I've come out the other end of that youthful phase of experimentation. :glasses8:

Reactions: JDA

Vibes

Reaction score
My first decent drum set was a Sears Whiehall, and a friend let me borrow a 16" A Zildjian cymbal that was from a pair of marching crash cymbals. It was thick and sounded great. He never played again and let me keep it. I used it for about 12 years until it burned in a club fire in 80, or 81. My first personal purchase were some A Zildjian new beats. I saved money from cutting grass. Lost those in the same fire along with my first real pro set. Ludwig Hollywood set. Got those in 71 same year I bought my hi hats. Still have and play the drums I replaced the Hollywood set with.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My opinion that young man needs a set of A Zildjians
20 or 22 inch Medium or ping ride
16" thin - med thin crash
18" medium thin crash
14" new beat hats. He can do anything with these as long as they aren't any dogs in there. If you could go with him and his parents to explain the difference between the cymbals and the terminology like wash, stick etc...... That lesson would be worth more than the entire cymbal set up.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first pro-level cymbals were 14" New Beats, I got them around a few months after I started playing - I've had them since 1979. IMO it's better to stay away from budget lines and buy used pro-level cymbals, if you don't want to invest too much at this stage.

A nice all-around Zildjian set-up:
14" New Beat Hi Hats
18" A Custom Crash
20" A. Medium Ride

These are versatile sizes, aren't too heavy or too thin, and could work in any type of music. It's nice to see how many people held onto cymbals they received when they started playing.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
First pro cymbal I bought new was my 22"Zildjian A medium ride that was promptly stolen right off my kit at The Viper Room in Hollywood during my first tour. I had that ride less than 1 month.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My first pro cymbal was an 18" Zildjian Z series crash. What the kids should get? Any of the major manufacturers have great sounding cymbals. If the money is available get one of those packs. He'll figure out what he likes as he goes and build his own tool kit from the sounds in his head just like the rest of us have. Good luck to him!

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My first pro cymbal came with an old, used Yamaha kit and was a Paiste 602 medium. Oh how I hated that thing at the time. Sold it never to regret it. Wonder if I would like it today.

makinao

Reaction score
Like many here, my first were 70s A's, because they were all that were readily available in my country. They are still the nucleus of my kit. Of all the choices available today, I would also consider Istanbul Traditionals (Mehmet or Agop) too because of their origins.

Auditioning is important. Take your son to stores and pick the one he falls in love with, but be patient. Back then I would go to stores every month waiting for new shipments until something came along that sounded magical.

mpungercar

Reaction score
My first cymbals were also my first "pro" cymbals. I purchased a set of 14" New Beats for $80. Awesome sounding hats that I used for around 7 or 8 years until they came to an untimely end. I don't remember how it happened, but I think something fell on the top cymbal causing it to invert. When I try to correct the issue the cymbal cracked around the bell, and that we the end of a really nice pair of new beats. I'm sure I'd still have them if that hadn't happened.

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
My first upgrade was brass to B8 lol played the Sabian B8 hats ride and a 14 and 16 crash for years. Finally made it into a “real band” and got a couple A Custom crashes as my first step into the non beginner world.

TPC

Reaction score
I would suggest used Paiste 2002s. Reasonable prices, consistent quality, not that hard to find, Bonzo connection, about as classic rock as it gets! :thumbup:
Precisely.
2002’s are surprisingly adequate for acoustic music, too. The 20” Ride, for example, is only about 2100 grams and with that small bell, it’s pretty contained.
So, 2002 20” Ride and 18” Crash. The whole thing would be under $300 and sound as good or better than anything else at any price for “Rock” music.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have some cheap 15" 2002 hi hats and 24" 2002 ride for sale. Super cheap way to start a kid down that path. They all have a lot of patina though.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
14" New Beats that came along with a '71 Ludwig kit bought in 1980. Later that year I purchased my first new cymbal, a 22" A. Ping Ride.

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first actual cymbal (after some toy cymbals I had as a kid) for drum kit was a pair of 14" Paiste Rude hi-hats. A bit on the loud side, but medium weight,a nice New Beat weight relation. They were used, so they were affordable.
So, that's what I'd do, get a the most pro cymbal that you can find used that actually sounds good. Not a Rock crash as someone suggested, that's too heavy. It should be middle-of-the-road for starters. Those Rude hats were fine, but for the music I ended up playing, some lighter cymbals such as 505 or 2002 medium hats would have been more appropriate.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mine was a 17" K Custom Dark crash in 1998, I was 18. That was the most beautiful crash I had ever played. I've never been able to replicate it, even with another 17" KCD. It eventually cracked to the point where it was unplayable but if I could go back in time I would tell 20 year old me to take care of that damn thing. Haha!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
First was a 20 inch Paiste Sig ride. I got it at a local music store, and it was my first and only "bunk" Paiste.
It sounded awful! The Sig line had just come out, so maybe that had something to do with it?
It would instantly wash out, no matter where I'd hit it, and ended up putting my Sabian B8 back on.
I was able to sell it back to a music store, and stayed away from Paiste for a few years. I than picked up 14 inch Sig hats, and they were incredible.
I came close to never listening, or playing Paiste again. Glad I got those hats!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man my first cymbals were Camber's. Then I was able to move up to the original Sabian B8 Pro's and thought back then that they were the greatest cymbals ever, LOL!
I didn't get pro cymbals till I was an Adult.
Seems like he would like Paiste since he's into Bonham & Copeland. If their gonna buy him pro from a mainstream brand he would be very happy with Paiste 2002's.

Last edited: