Your forever drum kit and why.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading the posts of folks regretting unloading drums they loved and miss, have any of you settled with the kit you will NEVER replace and why? You know, the one kit they will find you dead at? Yeah, that one. Here's my take. I still have my '63 Slingerlands, '70 Ludwigs, '80 Sonors, Tama Superstars, Premiers and DWs/Kellers. Having come to a decent bankroll of a payday I had the dough to buy most any kit twice over. Over 15 Grand. I went to Guitar Center to see what they had. The last kit I ever bought new was the Old-school Tama Imperialstars of the late 70s. I bought them from Thoroughbred Music out of Houston back in 81. Bulletproof drums for touring. Still have them today. Dude is setting up a 5-piece DW Collector kit in Natural Maple. A line formed with those wanting to take them for a ride. Behind the DW kit was a used set of Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes in a Silver to Black Fade. Also a 5-Piece kit. I'm an old dude with 5 decades of rocking and rolling so I sit behind the Yamahas. I watch as folks take their turn on the DWs. Those DWs were tuned to perfection. Beautiful sounds! Someone hands me a pair of beat-up sticks so I take a ride on the used Yamahas. YIKES!! I opted to buy the Yamahas instantly instead. Their sound stole my ears and heart within seconds. Nah! The dude that set up the DWs was there to pick them up. That's right he bought them. Anyhow, a few weeks roll by and I see two YMCAs kits in Plum Stain and in excellent condition on their website out of Colorado. Mine, all mine to this day. Having 90% of my needs met with the Sonor and Tama offerings for decades going to a used set of Yamahas never crossed my ears. Personally owning Recording Customs never called me either. They were always available in sessions. That was years ago and I have and will never look at another kit. In my living room they are perfect. They have such a wide tuning spectrum without going numb. My first Yamahas ever and used on top of that. I have since added a ton of spare drums and even more of Yamaha's HexRack hardware system to boot! All for less than what the DW Collector Kit would've cost. With what was left over I bought a dozen Audix D-series microphones, half a dozen Rode microphones and a Soundcraft MXFi 16 mic input mixer. There's a particular sound I've always wanted from a set of drums and the first and only kit to give that sound in my living room were those used Yamahas paired with a Tama Rosewood and Bell Brass snare drums. I love a long sustain, hate muffling. The longer the sustain, the better for me. They get played just before leaving for work, again as soon as I walk in the door after work and get played right before dropping into the bed.

snappy

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading the posts of folks regretting unloading drums they loved and miss, have any of you settled with the kit you will NEVER replace and why? You know, the one kit they will find you dead at? Yeah, that one. Here's my take. I still have my '63 Slingerlands, '70 Ludwigs, '80 Sonors, Tama Superstars, Premiers and DWs/Kellers. Having come to a decent bankroll of a payday I had the dough to buy most any kit twice over. Over 15 Grand. I went to Guitar Center to see what they had. The last kit I ever bought new was the Old-school Tama Imperialstars of the late 70s. I bought them from Thoroughbred Music out of Houston back in 81. Bulletproof drums for touring. Still have them today. Dude is setting up a 5-piece DW Collector kit in Natural Maple. A line formed with those wanting to take them for a ride. Behind the DW kit was a used set of Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes in a Silver to Black Fade. Also a 5-Piece kit. I'm an old dude with 5 decades of rocking and rolling so I sit behind the Yamahas. I watch as folks take their turn on the DWs. Those DWs were tuned to perfection. Beautiful sounds! Someone hands me a pair of beat-up sticks so I take a ride on the used Yamahas. YIKES!! I opted to buy the Yamahas instantly instead. Their sound stole my ears and heart within seconds. Nah! The dude that set up the DWs was there to pick them up. That's right he bought them. Anyhow, a few weeks roll by and I see two YMCAs kits in Plum Stain and in excellent condition on their website out of Colorado. Mine, all mine to this day. Having 90% of my needs met with the Sonor and Tama offerings for decades going to a used set of Yamahas never crossed my ears. Personally owning Recording Customs never called me either. They were always available in sessions. That was years ago and I have and will never look at another kit. In my living room they are perfect. They have such a wide tuning spectrum without going numb. My first Yamahas ever and used on top of that. I have since added a ton of spare drums and even more of Yamaha's HexRack hardware system to boot! All for less than what the DW Collector Kit would've cost. With what was left over I bought a dozen Audix D-series microphones, half a dozen Rode microphones and a Soundcraft MXFi 16 mic input mixer. There's a particular sound I've always wanted from a set of drums and the first and only kit to give that sound in my living room were those used Yamahas paired with a Tama Rosewood and Bell Brass snare drums. I love a long sustain, hate muffling. The longer the sustain, the better for me. They get played just before leaving for work, again as soon as I walk in the door after work and get played right before dropping into the bed.
Those Custom Absolutes could definitely be a forever kit.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had my Maple Custom Absolutes since 1999 or 2000. Can't remember which year, but about 20 years now. Don't think I'll be letting that kit go, because the sizes are perfect for me: 22x16, 13x9, 14x12 and 16x16 FT. I've replaced a lot of kits before and after the MCAs, but the MCAs have always stuck with me.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No plans to get anything else. I will play my Ludwigs until the day I die and then red66charger gets them...along with all my sticks, spares and e-set. I'll and even throw in my monitor system and stick lathe. Dan's a good guy.

That is my plan and I'm sticking with it!

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have had quite a few kits in my time but always only one at any time. At my current advanced age, I will keep the latest one which is only a few months old and will not be buying any more gear given that I have the snare I always wanted and great cymbals and the hardware still works ......
67143406_896401557382993_545884046899544064_n.jpeg

Last edited:

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
I can count the number of drums I've sold or let go over the years on one hand. But most of my life, it's not that I bought drums all that often either.

But to the original question - I won't ever let my Blaemires go. Nor probably this mismatched Gretsch set that I've grown quite find of or any of my Camcos.

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've owned well over 150 drum kits. I've settled on two that are my kits that check the boxes for me. a 1979 Slingerland yellow gloss 7 piece kit, That i use in a 5 piece configuration almost all the time, And a Ludwig Stainless steel kit Bonham sized But i usually use a 24 " bass drum instead of the 26", My band mates stated your killing us upfront !!

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tama birch bubinga antique white sparkle . There is no better sounding bass drum

Last edited:

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
N&C CDMaples, I've been playing them since '96

and why: I own the best-sounding bass drum I've ever played, sound people love it, they can run it flat if they chose. The toms sing and project and the SSClassic solid shell snare has sensitivity down to a whisper but can be the loudest thing on stage.

Last edited:

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Gretsch USA Custom kit that I ordered last January and received in June I intended to be my final kit. I've ordered additional pieces so that it will be able to handle any situation. I love them and figured that I was done.

Of course then DW decided that they are resurrecting Slingerland, my all time favorite company...

All bets are off until I get to play one of the new Slingerlands.

:D :D :D :D :D

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't have a forever drum kit. Right now I own a DW collectors, Yamaha Stage Custom BOP, a SPL BOP for practice and half doz. snares. Oh yes, a Taye Gokit that's for sale now. No real attachment to any of them. I'm sure at some time in the future all will go down the road in favor of something else.

Now I did just buy myself a Noble & Cooley snare drum, that I will take out on gigs and I'm very excited about that. I vowed that it won't be collecting dust. I bought it to play it, because that's what it's meant for. However, I recognize that it is just a drum and can imagine, at some time, it will be sold like most everything else I own.

I don't chase down leads for vintage drums anymore and if someone calls, I now give them the number of another local guy that will probably be interested.

IMO, it's all just stuff and I finally reached a point in my life that to have all this stuff doesn't really mean that much to me anymore. They are nothing more than tools, for the purpose of engaging in a trade.

cwdrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My fugly orphan kit. 1930's 26x14 Radio King bass, late 40's early 50's (?) 13x9 Radio King ride tom, 1956 (my birth year) 16x16 WFL floor tom and of course a mid 60's Ludwig Acrolite. Works for me.

The bass was repainted white many years ago by the previous owner and is checked and faded all over, the ride tom is a beautifully aged WMP, the floor tom is original white lacquer or paint and the Acrolite is still shiny and new looking. Lucky me.
Coy

jakeo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have a Corder set I bought new in 89 from Corder direct. They seem to sound better with age.

Josh Vibert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had a ton of forever kits....sold everyone of them.
LOL, aint that the truth?!

For me it's probably my 2008 Broken Glass DW Collectors. 10/12/14/16/22. About the only thing I don't like about it is the 18x22 kick. Sounds great, pain to haul. I've found myself constantly longing for a 14x20 kick to go with it for the last 5 years or so. In the interim I bought the DW lift floor tom conversion thing. It works great, but I don't like the hassle of swapping heads and tuning on my 16" FT every time I need to go play a small gig (which is pretty much all my gigs nowadays). Someday the money will be right and I'll add that 14x20 (hopefully).

Oh, and they were a birthday gift from my wife on my 31st birthday!

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
N&C CDMaples, I've been playing them since '96

and why: I own the best-sounding bass drum I've ever played, sound people love it, they can run it flat if they chose. The toms sing and project and the SSClassic solid shell snare has sensitivity down to a whisper but can be the loudest thing on stage.

I feel exactly the same about my N&C CD Maples. The bass drum is just a freaking cannon. It's a bit unwieldy, being 17 x 22, but my god, the boom it brings.

I just need to get a SS snare at some point. I love my 4.75 x 14 Alloy Classic and my 6 x 14 CD Maple, but a SS calls my name. Probably either maple or tulip.

The only thing I'm going to do with my kit when I get the money is get it refinished. I got my kit for a silly deal and can't complain, but I just don't dig dark purple with black hardware. It's very 90s. I'm looking to have N&C refinish it in champagne sparkle at some point, and change the hardware to chrome. It's pretty much going to cost what a new mid-range / lower end of high-cost kit costs, but I love this thing.