YOUR IN A DRUM BATTLE WITH BUDDY RICH/WHATS YOUR PLAN TO SURVIVE!

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dazzle him with my left foot clave rumba, and after about 30 seconds put down my sticks and slunk off the stage.

jeffintampa

Reaction score
I can’t imagine being faced with that task But I know three things.

1. better not try and outdo him on snare rudiments

2. Forget about trying to overwhelm him with speed because that’s what he does to everyone else
3. Forget about cymbal and hi hat technique as well
Ed Shaughnessy on the Tonight Show drum battle with Rich tried to match the speed and flubbed up a couple times.
Krupa never tried to match the speed in their battles, but rather went with clever rhythms and phrases that didn’t require blazing speed.
I think I call in sick.
I can’t imagine being faced with that task But I know three things.

1. better not try and outdo him on snare rudiments

2. Forget about trying to overwhelm him with speed because that’s what he does to everyone else
3. Forget about cymbal and hi hat technique as well
Ed Shaughnessy on the Tonight Show drum battle with Rich tried to match the speed and flubbed up a couple times.
Krupa never tried to match the speed in their battles, but rather went with clever rhythms and phrases that didn’t require blazing speed.
I think I call in sick.
Try to look like I'm 12 years old, dig back and play a rudimentary solo like Connecticut Halftime at breakneck speed, and water my pants.

Vicey

Reaction score
Tell him that the trombonist was playing clams all night and is currently doing an unflattering imitation of him out in the bus.